Can I use anti-seize on metal TPMS valve stem threads?

General question about factory tpms sensors valve stems and using metal valve stem caps.

While I was at a local mom and pop tire shop getting the tires swapped over this past spring (yes this has been on my mind!) and at the time I just installed "premium" metal/chrome valve caps with the sealing o ring.

After the tire swap, I noticed the 4 brand new valve caps are "missing" and owner is telling me the metal caps corrode the threads of the metal tpms sensor, and then will ruin the threads and they have to cut the sensor off the rim and replace it... Is there any truth to this? I manually check the air in the tires often - every few weeks so all the caps get removed multiple times a year.. Also if that is the case with corrosion, would it be a okay idea to put a very light layer of A/S on the threads of valve stem?

Thanks. 🤪

metal caps corrode.....ruin the threads....have to cut the sensor off the rim and replace it... Is there any truth to this?
Sounds possible to me.

I have used a slight smear of silicone grease on metal valve caps as corrosion had developed and made for "choppy twisting".

I would use the anti seize and ask for my caps back.I do not expect techs to do this,if need be,ask and explain the issue.Thats just me

If they come off often, then I don’t see why they would get stuck. Maybe a bit of light oil, very sparingly, would be fine, on the threads.

General question about factory tpms sensors valve stems and using metal valve stem caps.

While I was at a local mom and pop tire shop getting the tires swapped over this past spring (yes this has been on my mind!) and at the time I just installed "premium" metal/chrome valve caps with the sealing o ring.

After the tire swap, I noticed the 4 brand new valve caps are "missing" and owner is telling me the metal caps corrode the threads of the metal tpms sensor, and then will ruin the threads and they have to cut the sensor off the rim and replace it... Is there any truth to this? I manually check the air in the tires often - every few weeks so all the caps get removed multiple times a year.. Also if that is the case with corrosion, would it be a okay idea to put a very light layer of A/S on the threads of valve stem?

Thanks. 🤪
Stick with the grey plastic cap. Way less headaches down the road esp in salt country

I've seen this a lot, keep the metal caps away for the aluminum stems especially in the snow belt. When I assemble metal TPMS sensors I use spark plug boot silicone grease on all the threads. You also have to keep an eye on the barrel nuts that secure the stems, I see them get corrosion in the treads and literally split the nut in half. I had a Mazda where they were all cracked and one was missing, the customer did not want to spend the money (she was going thru hard times) and I was so worried she was going to crash I offered to install four regular rubber stems for free so she (and others on the road) would be safe. She was grateful and eventually came back for four new sensors.
Most of the newer metal caps I see have plastic thread inserts in them now.

Look at what I have been seeing in Rock Auto TPMS descriptions, I don't know the validity but something to ponder.
Screenshot 2023-08-13 10.54.26 AM.jpg

Last edited:
I don’t think I would use it, would not want it to get in the valve. Whereas in other cases, I’m ok with it being liberally applied.

I had to use a wrench and pliers after using liquid wrench and letting it sit to get the metal caps off son's fiancé's car. Those were on regular rubber valve stems up here in NY. She liked the pretty purple caps but when you can't check tire pressure it doesn't matter. I couls see all tires were low, I think the one was about 15psi. Went back to plain plastic ones no issues.

I used some never seize on the truck extension hose I had put on my spare on Sequoia. One season in the snow/salt and it was hard to take off. No issues after a bit off wire brush and never seize. I dropped the spare at least once per year anyway to spray the winch/cable/gears.

Back