Valve covers off, 78 Ranchero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ag_ghost
205 when? Does it run cooler now? What thermostat did you install? A 190 stat was typically installed when it left the factory.

205 when it got up to temp. 210-215 at stop lights and drive thrus and stuff.. It had a 195 degree, and i put a 180 in. I have no idea what it runs at now since it doesnt run yet. Actually kinda regretting the whole project now...
I had it all back together and went to pour the coolant in; was about to the end of 2nd gallon when i started hearing it pour onto the cement. I looked at it and it was coming out of the intake manifold gasket, right near the thermostat. took it off and saw that when the gasket is sitting on the head, the coolant passage on the end hangs over the side of the head a bit. I also remembered scraping a bunch of black sealant off the manifold in that exact area when i had it off. So i put a bunch of "Mega Black oem high temp silicone gasket maker" and put it back together. Then i let it sit for 24 hours to cure, and tried it again. Same exact thing happened, but it does leak alot slower this time. So here in a little bit im gonna take it back apart and try it again.

does anyone have any advice or recommendations i might be able to use before i tackle this again?

Been a long time since I've opened any small Fords. What engine, heads and intake are you using. I see 289 on the intake, but 289's weren't available in '78.
If using 351 heads, early castings had an extra bolt hole through the coolant passage that wouldn't be used on 302/289.
I've never had to move/remove anything to change thermostats on one of those engines so my curiosity is definitely up.

i figured it out. The gaskets i ordered were for a 1978 302. As you will notice they have bigger coolant passages on the end then my current gaskets. With the help of a guy at O'riellys, we figured out my 302 (or at least the heads) are from 1976 or earlier. The right gaskets installed, and its holding coolant. got a few pics of under the manifold too.

2012-06-11_19-19-23_751.jpg

2012-06-11_19-45-03_282.jpg

2012-06-11_19-45-34_381.jpg

2012-06-11_19-45-48_502.jpg

Yep. After paying closer attention i could actully see a couple different lifters resting on the cam through the oil drain holes in the top center of the block

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back