Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Gone Wrong

Something that small, I have never used a torque wrench on. When you have been wrenching for awhile you get that "IT'S TIGHT ENOUGH" feeling and STOP!
I have installed BOO KOO SBC valve covers. These are the size/kind of bolts I am referring to.
Size of the fastener should not be a determining factor. The purpose of the fastener should be the determining factor.

GMFan

So the shop drilled out the broken fasteners, replaced them and retorqued all the bolts. Picking the car up later tonight. Relieved to have my car back.

I still have to replace spark plugs and drain and refill the MTF with 75w90 as part of my 150k mile service. No torque wrench will be used 😂

I still love how this car drives and runs so I’m hoping with good maintenance I can get 250k+ out of her.

Main reason I get worried on manual transmissions with any oil leaks is keeping oil from contaminating the clutch.

Tomato, Tuhmotto.......... 🤷‍♂️
Point is, I would definitely torque the M6x1 fastener holding on a timing belt tensioner. But torquing the same-sized valve cover bolt that has a built-in stopper? Maybe, maybe not.

But it is good to know what a certain torque value "should" feel like, even when using a torque wrench.

FYI, many fasteners have a “standard” torque to which they are made to be tightened, depending on the type of material. It’s all about the grade of material the bolt is.

Example: 3/8” fine thread bolt grade 8 is approx 40 ft lbs.

I don't think I've ever seen a 3/8" torque wrench with in-lbs on it, only 1/4". Especially your last picture shows it only goes up about 280 in-lbs? That's only about 23 ft-lbs.

Was this a cheap wrench? I wonder if it had the wrong markings on it or something.

CDI has them.

cdi.png

I have this Tekton torque wrench and have used it on the Nissan VQ40 valve cover and transmission pan bolts. I tightened mine in a series of three passes with the final one at 84 inch lbs. I have heard of many folks getting the inch and pound confused with these.

BlueOvalFitter

Site Donor 2021
Point is, I would definitely torque the M6x1 fastener holding on a timing belt tensioner. But torquing the same-sized valve cover bolt that has a built-in stopper? Maybe, maybe not.

But it is good to know what a certain torque value "should" feel like, even when using a torque wrench.
I never torqued differential cover bolts, transmission pan bolts, valve cover bolts, etc. And, none of them ever leaked. Imagine that...... :rolleyes:

+1 Small low torque bolts can be found in critical applications as you say and should be torqued. Did chain guids and chain on an Audi all were low torque and had a brown locker on the bolts from the factory. I used all new bolts not being certain as to what compound they used.

GMFan

I pulled the engine cover and it appears the shop used M6 torx bolts to replace the snapped fasteners. I guess extra security to prevent thieves from stealing my valve cover like wheel locks. Although more likely it’s what the shop had on hand in terms of hardware. 😆