Valv Syn Blend, 5w-30, 203K, 1999 Maxima SE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not sure if this is bad news or not. Any recommendations regarding what I should do moving forward? Thanks!!

http://www.gonkgonk.com/uoa_convert/images/MaximaOilChange.pdf.jpg

Oil Change History Bio:

1. Oil change interval is 3,500 miles

2. Last oil change I used was MaxLife Valvoline Synthetic
Blend 5w30 with a Bosch Distance Filter in May 2010.
I also added Lucas Fuel Treatment after this oil change.

3. From 2005 until May 2010, German Castrol Synthetic
0w30 was used for the past 5 years with a Nissan OEM
Oil Filter.

4. My recent oil change which was September 21, 2010, I used
a Purolator Pure One Oil Filter with MaxLife Valvoline
Full Synthetic 5w30 instead if the blend. The mechanic
noticed that I needed a new air filter. The last time I
changed my air filter was May 2010. I normally use
Nissan OEM Air Filter.

Last edited:
I have the same exact car with 152k miles. I would not add the Lucas fuel Treatment to the oil at all and would instead use another FI cleaner such as RedLine or Gumout Regane.

I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5w-30 with 6k OCI's.

What fuel octane do you use in yours; 87, 89, 93?

Last edited:
Silicon is high for 3500 miles.

I'd start by checking the air filter, and related ducting for leaks.

Nissan V-6 engines sometimes 'seem' to like a higher visc. oil - I'd try a 10W-40 dino for a short run to see how it does, and if it works, move to a 5W-40 HDEO for all-year use.

Nissan's do like thicker oil but it may take a toll on gas mileage.

That VQ30 is nearly bulletproof and will last another 200k miles with your 3.5k OCI's and a quality synthetic blend.

Start off with checking your air filter. Do you have any oil consumption issues? If so, check the PCV valve and install a Nissan OEM.

I'd probably not invest any more money into a UOA as the engine in this car will out last ost other items such as the transmission, suspension components and rust.

Last edited:
Spartuss,

The air filter was beat up during last oil change which was last week. Mechanic showed me where it was dirty and cracked. Will replace very soon.

I had a new fuel filter put in 4 mos ago. I haven't noticed any oil consumption issues. My check engine light popped on last week. Had it tested at Autozone. Apparently the Catalytic Coverter Front Bank 1 is not working properly. The light will stay on for about 4-5 days and go off. Happens every 3 mos or so....Just will pop on then go off. I use premium Shell gas with Octane of 93. I will have mechanic check the PCV valve when I have him install air filter and new muffler.

What brand air filter are you using?

Last edited:
Addyguy...

Sorry for the noob questions....Are you suggesting a thicker oil due to it might be Bearing wear? I have used nothing but Synthetic Oil both Full and Blend. Is it ok to go back to Dino? What is HDEO?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Nissan's do like thicker oil

^^2nd. Try a synthetic 40 weight. That seems to be the best from what I`ve read on the Z33 forums. I`m using Mobil 1 15W50 right now. I`m tempted to try their 10W40 here sometime

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Tyler99
Spartuss,

The air filter was beat up during last oil change which was last week. Mechanic showed me where it was dirty and cracked. Will replace very soon.

I had a new fuel filter put in 4 mos ago. I haven't noticed any oil consumption issues. My check engine light popped on last week. Had it tested at Autozone. Apparently the Catalytic Coverter Front Bank 1 is not working properly. The light will stay on for about 4-5 days and go off. Happens every 3 mos or so....Just will pop on then go off. I use premium Shell gas with Octane of 93. I will have mechanic check the PCV valve when I have him install air filter and new muffler.

What brand air filter are you using?

The Nissan OEM is a very good air filter and I would stick to it. I use a Fram Tough Guard Air filter as they are also fair in quality and I get a very good deal on them here locally.

The check engine light comes on all the time on these cars. Check gas mileage and make sure the Bank 1 oxygen sensor does not cause an affect on fuel consumption. Bank 1 sensors are before the Cat and will affect fuel consumption if left faulty.

PM me if you'd like and we can talk more about the 4th gen Maxima.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
The Nissan OEM is a very good air filter

I use OEM everything when it comes to parts/filters:
291oxzb.jpg

Addyguy...

Sorry for the noob questions....Are you suggesting a thicker oil due to it might be Bearing wear? I have used nothing but Synthetic Oil both Full and Blend. Is it ok to go back to Dino? What is HDEO?

Thanks

Like others, yes, I am.

A 'HDEO' is a 'Heavy Duty Engine Oil', or an oil for diesel engines. Almost all of them are dual-spec to be used in both gasoline and diesel applications.

Go to a store, and look for Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. It is a favourite on here that does really, really well in applications like this. It is a full-synthetic HDEO.

Yeah,M1 EP 5-30 and an M1 filter for $38 at AZ. Oem only AF. Install the AF yourself. Drive it easy.

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Make-up oil 5.75 qt? LOL

Did I miss something?

Edit : Oh yeah now I see it,it does say that, ouch!

How long has it been using so much oil Tyler?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: uart
Make-up oil 5.75 qt? LOL

Did I miss something?

Make-up oil 5.75 qt? LOL

Did I miss something?

My bad. That is a typo. Car takes 4.25 qts of oil.

My other question for the members is should I change my oil to the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 now? I just had my oil changed about 10 days ago to the Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic. Should I wait until around 2K miles, send oil sample back to Blackstone to see if I continue to have very high lead issue?

Also, assuming that the issue is bearings which seems likely, could someone briefly explain to me exactly what friction is occuring with the bearings? I assume the oil is not shearing correctly to protect the bearings thus causing excessive lead? What other metal should be high to indicate that it is a bearing issue? What are the risk of driving with such a high lead count in your oil?

Sorry again for the noob questions, but, how else do you educate yourself unless you ask questions from experts. :)

Last edited:
Quote:
I also added Lucas Fuel Treatment after this oil change

Are you absolutely certain that the fuel treatment is lead free?

Quote:
I also added Lucas Fuel Treatment after this oil change

Are you absolutely certain that the fuel treatment is lead free?

There have been a few of these lately. Lucas Fuel Treatment does seem to increase lead. I've seen 3 or more of these in the last month or so, where all numbers are fine, but lead is out of hand after using the Lucas fuel treatment. Seems odd to me, but there is a pattern.

Last edited:
Make-up oil 5.75 qt? LOL

Did I miss something?

Make-up oil 5.75 qt? LOL

Did I miss something?

My bad. That is a typo. Car takes 4.25 qts of oil.

My other question for the members is should I change my oil to the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 now? I just had my oil changed about 10 days ago to the Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic. Should I wait until around 2K miles, send oil sample back to Blackstone to see if I continue to have very high lead issue?

Also, assuming that the issue is bearings which seems likely, could someone briefly explain to me exactly what friction is occuring with the bearings? I assume the oil is not shearing correctly to protect the bearings thus causing excessive lead? What other metal should be high to indicate that it is a bearing issue? What are the risk of driving with such a high lead count in your oil?

Sorry again for the noob questions, but, how else do you educate yourself unless you ask questions from experts. :)

With high silicon, the bearing wear is most likely from a 'particle streak', or many of them.

A piece of dirt get into between the bearing and crank, and literally grinds out some metal.

Reduce contaminents in the oil, this goes away....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back