Value Priced Filter Recommendation for Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: goodtimes
The flow over filtration is something someone made up, probably on here. There is one chart 4 years old from Amsoil showing 51% efficiency, no flow rate for the Toyota filter. The Denso above is not the same, and the new ones are made in China. The problem with bulk purchases is they might go over 6 years or so, too old for me. I would use a premium filter for the better filtration and better construction not because it says 15000 on the box. For me that would be over 2 years, not going to do that. I pay the $6 once a year for a better filter.
Do a search on the DW filter's efficiency rating-it's around 75% (@ 25 micron AFAIK), definitely not high. Unlike the Classics & similar, no one has had a failure yet that I've heard of. Obviously the $9 Ultra is better.

First thing I would do is see if an oversized filter would fit.

I see on the Prius Forums that a Fram 3600/ Purolator 20195 will work. Huge filter, nearly twice the size.

Run one to see if it fits, then order a bunch...
I see Ultra's on Maul-Mart for around $5....

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats

That is what I always do with the small area filters Toyota often employs. And if indeed a Fram 3600 fits, that crosses to a Motorcraft FL-400s, which is what I now use on our Lexus instead of the Denso (which I respect a lot). I view them as about equivalent, but the FL-400S is $3.70 everyday at Walmart and most auto parts stores. Great value. If you don't like that idea, then the Denso is the way to go, or a box of them online or at a dealer as mentioned; usually very fairly priced at most Dealerships.

I have been thankful Toyota employs 3/4-16 studs and not M20 x 1.5 or something like Honda, etc.

Last edited:
The Fram Ultra's are an excellent filter. Look for them when they are on sale. Another idea maybe is check on Ebay and see if they still have the size you want, with the Fram Pro Series($6.00 a filter). An Ultra without the Rhinogrip.

Thank you very much to everyone for taking the time to reply and the thoughtful discussion. I really appreciate the comments.

I see on the Prius Forums that a Fram 3600/ Purolator 20195 will work. Huge filter, nearly twice the size.

Can't see a benefit of putting on the wrong oil filter, but to each their own.

Originally Posted By: stchman

Can't see a benefit of putting on the wrong oil filter, but to each their own.

We have been through that, no one has shown any benefit at all. I suppose the cars are well out of warranty but even so the filter maker won't back you if you're using the wrong filter.

Frankly, If I was going to change it every 5-6000 I'd just buy the case of Toyota filters.

I didn't realize the 3614 would even fit on the Prius. I buy the 3614 for a Camry v6, and the 4386 or 4967 for the Prius. If Toyota could have one size filter for all their models, I bet they would do that. To each his own, no problem.

You can purchase the Hastings LF410F from Motown Automotive for $2.36 on 1300 Front St NW in Grand Rapids, they may sell a case cheaper you will have to ask them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back