Value Priced Filter Recommendation for Prius

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have three Toyota Prius' in the family that I maintain and I was looking to buy some filters in bulk to have on hand All three cars have 5k-6k OCI so I do not think I need anything too special but I would like to make sure I get a reasonable quality filter at what hopefully could be at a value price that I do not have any concerns with.

A couple options I was considering are:
-Hasting LF410F on RockAuto for $1.41- However after researching on here there were a couple concerns about the "F" series Hastings lacking some filter media when compared to the non "F" filter, as evidenced buy some photos posted of one cut open.
-NAPA Proselect SFI 21394 for $2.29 in a case of 12 - The only negative info I could find on the Proselect seemed to be concerns about the ADBV which on the Prius I do not think should be of a great concern?
-Driveworks DW-4476 for $1.84 - There seems to be mixed feelings about the Driveworks on here. Some feedback in it seems great while other seems to state it is poorly made Chinese garbage.
- MANN ML1009 for $2.41 - Seeing how they are associated with Purolator perhaps they will have quality issue as well?

Or for $3.52 I can just by Denso 1502000 (which is apparently the OEM mfg. for Toyota filers). Seems they prefer flow over filtration.

I know this may seem a little petty to be squabbling over a few bucks on a filter, but I guess this is what those of us with OCD do
smile.gif
If I can save a buck or two on a filter without sacrificing any significant protection to these cars then why not?

Thank you for the feedback.

Last edited:
I've used a few of the Driveworks in small sizes, they're not my favorite, but they definitely favor "flow over filtration"! Faint praise, but they're better than a Puro Classic (& their clones).

Last edited:
I'd steer away from the Mann for now personally. I know zip about the others.

You can get a case of 10 Toyota filters on Amazon for less than 50.00 which makes them something like 4.85 each. Or you can buy Ultras at Walmart and use them for 2 OCI and be about the same price.

Go back through the post here, seems the Denso and Toyota filter not the same, although Denso does make the Toyota filter.

Get half a dozen driveworks and keep an eye on rockauto. I got some Champ filters for toyota for $.93 plus shipping, $1.40 ish delivered.

There are so many ways to save money on the cost of car but buying bargain basement oil filters is not one of them.

Avoid the basic low quality level filters and spend an extra couple of bucks buying good quality oil filters in bulk when they go on sale. Your car will thank you and your long term overall costs will likely be less.

Im one that would buy quality over price. I wont say cheap filters wont serve you well or will cause any issues down the road because I wouldnt be able to prove it. I spend more to have piece of mind..however that maybe the only benefit for all I know. Id opt for the denso filters.

If you want a value priced filter, I would go with the Napa(WIX) but would go with the Silver. It is a step up from the P.S.and the price is about the same. I run them for 5-6K and no issues.

If you're really worried about pinching pennies, most any will be fine. We scrutinize on here for absolutely best, but it really is marginal and diminishing returns.

I'd go with whichever you can get as an oil change special and not worry about it much.

I'd probably go Hastings or Napa.

The Napa Proselect is made by Wix, excellent quality for a cheap filter.

My second choice would be Hastings.

The Mann ML1009 is a reboxed Purolator Classic L14476.

The Driveworks is cheap Chinese [censored] that AAP is getting rid of for a reason. It has been replaced by the Carquest Red, which is made by Fram, but is no OCOD, and it actually has metal end caps. The CQ part number for you would be R85394.

FWIW, I've used either the Denso or the OEM Toyota filters for nearly all the miles on both the Toyota vehicles in my sig. No excessive consumption or other issues so take that for what it's worth.

The whole "flow over filtration" hysteria is way overrated IMHO, and besides it's all based on one Amsoil chart. Neither Denso nor Toyota publish any values.

If you are looking for a "value priced" oil filter go with the cheapest Wix they make quality filters throughout their whole line.

The flow over filtration is something someone made up, probably on here. There is one chart 4 years old from Amsoil showing 51% efficiency, no flow rate for the Toyota filter. The Denso above is not the same, and the new ones are made in China. The problem with bulk purchases is they might go over 6 years or so, too old for me. I would use a premium filter for the better filtration and better construction not because it says 15000 on the box. For me that would be over 2 years, not going to do that. I pay the $6 once a year for a better filter.

I bought a bunch of closeout filters for our toyota matrix which uses a small spin on filter.

The hastings seems to be very good quality.

Denso is probably the best one they make for this application.

I have had no problems with the driveworks filters, but I don't feel good about running them.

The denso has a plastic film over the filter and they prelube the rubber gasket. Real nicely made product.

The hastings filters that I purchased came in sealed plastic bags instead of boxes.

I like the Motorcraft and Fram Ultras on the Matrix since they keep the oil a nice honey color through the interval. Even using oem ones will turn the oil black quickly, no thanks. Color isn't everything but I'll take a honey color over black any day.

Hastings or Denso either one is a good choice. Napa Proselect if you must. Driveworks as your last resort.

If you're worried about the ADBV on the Proselect, I can tell you it worked fine on my car this past summer. Ran it for about 4400 miles. Oil pressure was always up immediately upon starting the car. One anectdotal story certainly doesn't make an absolute Truth, but if I had to use one again I wouldn't worry about the ADBV for a shortish OCI. Personally though, I prefer Wix/Napa Gold. I won't buy anything made by Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back