Using thicker oil in new vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume this is why 2 valve trucks/suv's/vans are desirable. They go for a ridiculous price, atleast around here. I'm waiting for someone to try and offer money for ours; they better have deep pockets, lol. Uses a little oil, but going up and down these mountains, it's expected. Have plenty of Edge 0w30/40 laying around and that's what went in it. Consumption is next to nothing now, and runs smoother.

Originally Posted By: Delta
What works well for somebody might not for someone else. Senior Techs E350 with the 5.4 at work has over 270K running nothing but Motorcraft Blend 5w20 and MC 820S filters at the dealer since 2006. Religiously serviced at 5K. It's 10K plus in weight, and the original drivers were not easy on it. It uses some oil, but with the terrain around here that's normal. The engine is going to outlast the Knapheide body; it's getting crispy.

Sooner or later....or at least when your CAFE will realize...that thinner oils are not enough for lower fuel consumption...CAFE will then start to force smaller downsized engines...uhhh that will become quite a mess when average Joe will be forced to blend his 1.4 turbo 190HP engine with that oily water
smile.gif

Not as a Schaeffer commercial, but rather a higher vis commercial. I checked with the company and this van was run on 15w40 for its entire life.

http://www.schaefferoil.com/million.html

I still feel that putt-putting around town or light duty engines, 5w20 is fine, especially in very cold conditions.

But that's not how a lot of us use our vehicles.

Additionally, Toyota's recommendation for higher viscosity oil for sufficient protection while sustained high speed, in mountains or while towing, and Ford's changing the 6.2's oil in the HD pickups from 5w20 to 5w30, and it's obvious that the thinner oils may not provide enough protection in all situations.

Saving fuel is a good thing. But it's costing longevity IMO. Tig's comments and experience notwithstanding.

Last edited:
I switched out Magnatec 5w20 on my new F350 (2015) to 5w30 Mag and personally I will go back to 5w20 after the 5w30 goes. I don't like the sound and feel of the 5w30 and I can tell a big difference. I don't run my vehicles hard and maintenance is something I keep up with. This is on a 6.2L gasser.
I'll stay with 5w20 from now on.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
He previously used 5w-20 and it worked well for the first 100K miles or so, but after that wear increased to the point where he stated looking for a solution.
This increased wear problem was not experienced when he switched to the higher viscosity oil of the same brand of Mobil 1 oil right from the start.

Isn't it 'proven beyond reasonable doubt' that :
a )M1 5W20 failed his test, whilst
b )M1 15W50 passed his test with flying colors ?
coffee2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back