Using OEM Parts on 9 year old vehicle 223k miles...

Or get ADVICS brakes and rotors from RockAuto and save a little. Its the same OE that makes brake pads for Toyota as Denso does for engine compartment parts.

I just looked up the ADVICS rotors and pads for my 2015 RX350

Rotors and Pads, $215 before shipping.

I paid $195 for the Toyota/Lexus OEM pads and rotors.

How much would I have saved at Rock Auto again?

Electrical items are usually better off with OEM parts but there are also aftermarket parts that are quality the problem w/those is that it's a hit or miss. I just bought aftermarket Napa brake rotors for the front of my truck b/c the passenger side was warped causing a terrible vibration while breaking. The rotors are apparently their higher priced line & all seems to be smooth so far. Also, I did replace my fuel level sensor in the tank w/a Denso brand that I believe may or may not be OEM but Denso is a quality OEM and aftermarket manufacturer so I took the gamble.

I buy OEM parts for my 05 Scion. Just did all 4 corners but went with the best aftermarket that Auto Zone had to offer on the front calipers because OE was $233 each. Of course they are rusting now lol, I'll have to respray them sooner than later.

Would you spend the money on OEM parts on a vehicle that is 9 years old and has a quarter million miles on it?

I did last week, front rotors and pads, shims for my 2015 Lexus RX350. This was the second brake job on the front that I've done on it, the first I chose to use the PowerStop OE rotors and pads. I'm done with brake components from that company. I have had absolutely horrible service from anything from Powerstop. I put the premium Z23 rotors and pads on my Tundra and they didn't make it 40k miles before the vibration was just too much.

I spent about $100 more in Toyota OEM parts than the Powerstop package of rotors and pads. The Powerstop stuff on the RX350 didn't make it 35k miles before the pulsation was just too much. Now the car has pretty much brand-new factory fresh brake components all the way around. I rebuilt the front calipers 35k miles ago, every seal/etc on them looked brand new at 190k miles. I was impressed. Saturday I do as I always do, wire brush the daylights out of the hub, wire brush the pad bracket, clean the caliper pin sockets with brake clean and booger-remover paper towel rolled up and shoved down in there, clean the pins and re-grease with a light coat of Sylglyde. I use the Toyota grease on the backs of the pads. Did the rears about 4 months ago with all OEM rotors and pads and same procedure. I always flush the fluid before beginning a brake job and then do a couple of bleeds after the pads are in.

Better than 99% of the shops out there are going to do.
I would on my 2005 Silverado with 250k miles because I count on it for work every day and it's not on its last legs or anything yet. It's getting 20-25k miles a year, driving to construction sites, through farm fields and trails. I put too many cheap aftermarket parts on and then they're failing again within a few years.

I have always used AC-Delco pads and rotors on my 98 Chevy K1500 truck that I bought new. The rear drum brakes are still original.

I use aftermarket pads and rotors on my 92 Cavalier and the rotors end up warping in no time flat.

I try to use OEM on any electrical components as most of the aftermarket ones I have tried have been junk and don't last.

I’d say your dealer has abnormally low prices.

Not just "my dealer", you and everyone else can look up the parts at Bell Lexus Scottsdale, then put that part number into Lagrange Toyota Parts ("my dealer"), Sparks Toyota, etc.

All the aggressive Toyota/Lexus dealers that have online parts sales will all be within dollars of each other. The prices I paid for Friday's Online Order that I picked up first thing Saturday morning weren't even "sale" prices for the online sales. They are regular online sale prices.

Anyone that walks into a dealer, especially a Toyota dealer and buys parts without doing some online shopping or comparison shopping isn't doing their homework.

Same here, I wonder if you got the "Toyota Service replacement" instead of what the factory slapped on.

The parts I got were 100% premium Toyota parts, not the cheaper parts they offer. Toyota doesn't have two lines of rotors, they are all the same, the same rotor that comes on the vehicle. They do have two lines of pads, the less expensive pads for this vehicle are about $25 cheaper according to the parts manager. We talked about that Saturday when he brought my parts to me. He confirmed the pads I bought and received were the exact OEM pads.

Also, Toyota doesn't halt production of their parts like the Big 3 do or other makes after 5-7 years. I think many of you who have never owned a Toyota would have a hard time believing how good they are, how many people use OEM Toyota parts on a 15 or 20 year old Toyota and yes, they really still do have them. Another thing is it is a known, researched fact that many Toyota owners take much better care of their vehicles and keep them much longer than any other make.

I spent about $100 more in Toyota OEM parts than the Powerstop package of rotors and pads. The Powerstop stuff on the RX350 didn't make it 35k miles before the pulsation was just too much.

If the price of OEM isn't much more than sure why not, it's really only an issue when OEM is 3 to 4x the cost then it doesn't make any sense to spend that.

Rotors really don't matter all that much, the pads is what matters the most. Bad pads will cause all the issues you mentioned.

With so many garbage pads on the market it's hard to know what's actually good. Usually when people find a pad they like they stick with it. For me that's Stoptech 309 pad, great cheap affordable pad but it does dust.

OEMs actually go through engineering cycles to prevent the issues you mentioned, were aftermarket pads do not. Power stop pads used are likely a downgrade from the OEM pad.

Here in rust country I have to go OEM. I tried different aftermarket rotors and they just don’t hold up. I paid $200+ for pads and rotors, only to have them pitted badly within a year and have to do them over. I drive Fords and I use the local dealer recommended parts. They don’t rust away in a year.

It depends how much more expensive are the OEM parts compared to aftermarket, and how long I plan to keep the vehicle. A year ago I did front brakes on my Tacoma using mid-grade aftermarket parts. 8,000 miles later everything is still silky smooth... IIRC the OEM parts were over 2x the cost of these aftermarket units.

Powerstop's rotors are awesome. Their pads, not so much.

If rust is an issue, nothing beats Geomet coated rotors. Powerstop usually, but not always, has the best price on Geomet-coated rotors.

The best pads to use on a daily driver are EBC Ultimax2/Blackstuff, even though Rock Auto doesn't sell them. Akebono pads are also a good choice. If the Akebono pads ship from the same warehouse as the Powerstop rotors, that is even better.

over 200k in 9 years means lots of highway driving, little idling/sitting. Those two things kill cars the fastest.

I don’t understand about mileage and OE parts? If you get into accident, is it going to be less severe because it is older car? Brakes, suspension and tires, I NEVER save money on that.
That being said, Toyota OE brakes are junk. That is part where some aftermarket options are far better (EBC, Hawk, Pagid).

I don’t understand about mileage and OE parts? If you get into accident, is it going to be less severe because it is older car? Brakes, suspension and tires, I NEVER save money on that.
That being said, Toyota OE brakes are junk. That is part where some aftermarket options are far better (EBC, Hawk, Pagid).

Pagid pads for the OP's 2015 Lexus RX330 are only $30-40 a set. They also ship from the same warehouse as the Powerstop rotors :D

Where do you find name brand brands? All the auto parts stores ever have is Wagner thermo quiets, then whatever house brand name they have.
Definitely getting harder. Rock Auto has everything - but there customer service doesn't exist. I order a couple things at a time so I can't get hosed too much of it goes South.

Napa Online has a lot more brands than the store. PartsGeek.com but there interface / search isn't very good. Amazon has a lot of stuff as well, but again your taking a risk - depends on what it is. There are good about taking things back however.

Back