Using Jaso FB in an engine where FD is recommended

Considering that blowers, chainsaws, brush cutters, etc., which typically use JASO FB (green keepers) oil, tend to rev at least as hard, if not harder, than a 2-stroke bike ridden by an average weekend rider in off-road conditions, would the lubrication requirements be similar for a dirt bike that the manufacturer recommends jaso fd?

I presume the FD rating is strictly for emissions, rather than engine longevity.

(I always use FC/FD regardless - just interested for no particular reason)

Good question. All I can say is that I have used the Stihl FB rated oil for over 3 decades in professional use of all types of outdoor power equipment without any issues.

They removed the fuel stabilizer from the Ultra, which makes me want to switch to another brand.

Good question. All I can say is that I have used the Stihl FB rated oil for over 3 decades in professional use of all types of outdoor power equipment without any issues.

They removed the fuel stabilizer from the Ultra, which makes me want to switch to another brand.
Good to know. But would you even risk using that same oil in a $10k dirt bike or snow machine?

I know I won’t. Unless desperate. But that is because I believe , and possibly wrongly, that fd or fc as a minimum is the way to go and anything less is gonna screw the engine.

Good to know. But would you even risk using that same oil in a $10k dirt bike or snow machine?

I know I won’t. Unless desperate. But that is because I believe , and possibly wrongly, that fd or fc as a minimum is the way to go and anything less is gonna screw the engine.
Absolutely not. I would follow the manufacturers recommendations. Outdoor power equipment probably operates at much less torque than motorcycles and snowmobiles. Maybe that has something to do with oil choice?

I also have never had any problems not using DOT 4 brake fluid in my vehicles that recommend DOT 3. A lot of us worry too much.

The FD and L-EGD oils run very clean. I'm not sure if the primary intent was for cleaner emissions, but these lubes make the engines much cleaner internally. The exhaust ports and ring packs have much less coking and such over time. Given that ECHO equipment has used this lube standard for many years, combined with the longevity of their equipment in typical use, it would (at face value) indicate that these lubes are decent at promoting longevity. At least in 2-stroke OPE.

However, not all lubes are for all applications, as we all know. I'd have to say one should stick to the OEM recommendations as two-stroke engines can be VERY finicky about their lubes over the long haul.

Dirt Bikes are going to have a lot more load on the engine than lawn equipment. I use Amsoil Dominator or Interceptor in our dirt bikes and I have had good luck with it in a Stihl Blower as well. Engines run clean and last as they should. Interceptor says to use where API-TC and JASO FD are specified. Dominator is more of a racing oil, but they don't really spec anything.

I use JASO FD in everything(OPE) it barely costs more.. sometimes less (VP racing on clearance)

If I was using it in a high powered custom app such as racing... I would probably use an oil designed for racing.
The needs are somewhat different than a backpack blower or chainsaw.

For a stock bike putt putting around that recommends JASO FD.. I would use jaso FD.. tons of good options..
and as mentioned it might be about engine cleanliness not "emissions"

Although this redline picture made me laugh.
1683818856066.png

For 9.64 this is a good option from a trusted brand with fuel stabilizers
I mix it with 90 octane ethanol free gas.

Last edited:
Dirt Bikes are going to have a lot more load on the engine than lawn equipment. I use Amsoil Dominator or Interceptor in our dirt bikes and I have had good luck with it in a Stihl Blower as well. Engines run clean and last as they should. Interceptor says to use where API-TC and JASO FD are specified. Dominator is more of a racing oil, but they don't really spec anything.
Fd doesnt quote any more pressure capacity than FB only higher detergent.

I wouldn't pick FB over FD but I've got a stash of FB I was given that I've been working through since I used up my last bottle of Opti-2. It runs a little smokier, but I won't let that stop me from using it up. It's not going to wear my equipment out any faster.

I wouldn't pick FB over FD but I've got a stash of FB I was given that I've been working through since I used up my last bottle of Opti-2. It runs a little smokier, but I won't let that stop me from using it up. It's not going to wear my equipment out any faster.
It is fine for most outdoor power equipment, but maybe not for dirt bikes with exhaust valves. They can gum up.

Back