Using chains in California without a declared chain condition

Anyone familiar with how this is handled? I've dealt with chain conditions and have never actually installed chains for such conditions. My only experience is in dry, daytime conditions in my driveway just getting used to putting on a pair of SCC Super Z6, or unsuccessfully trying to install some ladder chains per the instructions in my garage. These were obviously test runs to get used to it in better conditions than I would face in the real world.

So I did recently get a pair of Peerless/Security-Chain Super Z for a front-wheel drive car. I'm thinking of maybe going to South Lake Tahoe and driving around in them around town at reasonable speeds if there's a lot of icy roads. But only if there are chain conditions coming in. I've seen chain off areas, but I can't find anything that's specifically noting that they have to come off. I'm not so much worried about the main roads which have a lot of traffic and that get cleared by crews, but maybe parking lots that may not be regularly cleared. I remember one of my first times in a snow covered parking lot learning about how braking worked. I practiced on a stretch where I braked and I slid maybe a foot more. I figure with chains I won't have to deal with that or at least I'll have much better steering and braking.

91LewjkKP7L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They seem somewhat different than the Super Z6 set that I have for my WRX. Obviously they don't have a plastic cover over the wires. The connectors are more a nub and hole rather than the keyhole style. The chain tighteners seem to be the same type though with the plastic clips. And they come in a plastic box where I had one heck of a time trying to get it back in after looking them over. But otherwise they operate about the same using the same type of hardened coils. Mine have little plastic bits to separate the coils from the ends, so I'm not sure if this is a slightly older version or not.

If the conditions are bad enough that you think you need them, then put them on.
Obviously you should respect the areas that state they are chain off areas.

This really isn't that hard.

There is no designated take off area, but you are pretty much limited to 30 or so and they will make e terrible racket and vibration on pavement.

You'll want them off when hit clear areas.

Those things don't look like they would have much bite compared to regular or reinforced chains. The last time I used chains must be over 25 years ago on my father's Dodge Dart. Had an 8 to 10 inch storm and the next morning I put on a pair, and that thing blew through unplowed streets like a 4x4. On the plowed main road it was huge pain listening to the racket they made. You will be itching to remove them the first chance you get once you see pavement.

I lived in Minnesota for 25 years before moving around the country a bit. I've spent plenty of time in the Tahoe-Truckee area, and the mountain passes to get there. I think you are totally overthinking this. Don't drive with chains on unless the CHP is requiring it. It sucks driving with chains. Climbing steep grades in icy/snowy conditions is one place where chains can be useful. Most front wheel drive cars with decent all-season tires work pretty well in the snow.

There is no designated take off area, but you are pretty much limited to 30 or so and they will make e terrible racket and vibration on pavement.

You'll want them off when hit clear areas.

I get that. I've been in designated chain conditions (went through the checkpoint) where there was almost no snow or ice and it just seemed like it just hadn't been rescinded. Saw one set of chains that got tossed off a vehicle and to the side of the road. And I've seen a few in South Lake Tahoe. But it's been a while since I've been there. I don't think I've ever gone through a chain checkpoint to SLT, so I wasn't sure if there was a chain off area. I remember chain off areas leaving.

I get that one has to take it slow and they're horrible on dry pavement, but the big issue for me would be parking lots.

I get that. I've been in designated chain conditions (went through the checkpoint) where there was almost no snow or ice and it just seemed like it just hadn't been rescinded. Saw one set of chains that got tossed off a vehicle and to the side of the road. And I've seen a few in South Lake Tahoe. But it's been a while since I've been there. I don't think I've ever gone through a chain checkpoint to SLT, so I wasn't sure if there was a chain off area. I remember chain off areas leaving.

I get that one has to take it slow and they're horrible on dry pavement, but the big issue for me would be parking lots.

Im typically in R1 or 2 capable with a bag of chains under the back seat so I probably didn't notice take off areas like I would be if I were chained.

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

Those things don't look like they would have much bite compared to regular or reinforced chains. The last time I used chains must be over 25 years ago on my father's Dodge Dart. Had an 8 to 10 inch storm and the next morning I put on a pair, and that thing blew through unplowed streets like a 4x4. On the plowed main road it was huge pain listening to the racket they made. You will be itching to remove them the first chance you get once you see pavement.

Most cables have crimped rollers. Security Chain (I guess now owned by Peerless) says that the coils are more durable than most chains and provide better traction than regular chains or cables.

Here's one guy's demo video, although those are light truck sized. He's taking it on a fresh dump of snow, but also with a plow attachment to his truck.

There's also the Super Z6/Z8 which is pretty similar with rollers and a similar attachment, although they say the clearance requirements are lower than class-S. Not sure how because the construction is almost identical except for the keyhole attachment rather than the nubs.

Super%20Z6%20new.png

Im typically in R1 or 2 capable with a bag of chains under the back seat so I probably didn't notice take off areas like I would be if I were chained.

During the winter months, motorists may encounter traction chain controls in the mountain areas within California. When chain controls are established, signs will be posted along the road indicating the type of requirement. There are Three Levels of Chain Requirements in California:

• Requirement 1 (R-1): Chains are required on all vehicles except passenger vehicles and light-duty trucks under 6,000 pounds gross weight and equipped with snow tires on at least two drive wheels. Chains must be carried by vehicles using snow tires. All vehicles towing trailers must have chains on one drive axle. Trailers with brakes must have chains on at least one axle.
  • Requirement 2 (R2): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles except four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles with snow-tread tires on all four wheels.
    NOTE: (Four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicles must carry traction devices in chain control areas.)
  • Requirement 3 (R3): Chains or traction devices are required on all vehicles, no exceptions.

I've seen a few vehicles in South Lake Tahoe with chains on. Kind of hard to avoid that sound.

In Tahoe, even the ski resort buses and service trucks/vans are chained up constantly unless it’s a bluebird day. I would say chain up if you see trucks doing it, and chain off if safe to do so. IMO, you’ll look like a goof having chains on in light snow but I’d rather lose style points to be safe.

You should be able to navigate a level parking lot on all seasons without chains. Just take it slow. The reason for chain laws is the "tragedy of the commons", one yahoo wihout snow driving experience getting stuck on a mountain pass blocking it for everyone else.

If you get stuck in a parking lot, ask someone to push you out.

This reminds me of my hometown of Santa Clarita/Newhall just south of the Grapevine on the morning after a snow day. Headed down I5 to the Valley there was an car or truck off the side of the freeway every couple of hundred yards. Dry payment now, there were multiple vehicles driving freeway speeds with chains still on. The noise was incredible.

You should be able to navigate a level parking lot on all seasons without chains. Just take it slow. The reason for chain laws is the "tragedy of the commons", one yahoo wihout snow driving experience getting stuck on a mountain pass blocking it for everyone else.

If you get stuck in a parking lot, ask someone to push you out.

I've done that before in a snowy parking lot and it was fun yet kind of scary drifting a little bit past where I'd normally brake or steer. My first experience I took it straight down the center to see how it reacted and it felt really weird when I couldn't stop on a dime and I kept on slowing inching forward until it stopped. I was thinking that chains would basically make braking and steering far more predictable even if it would make that annoying crunching sound.

I was trying to get out of the parking lot at Badger Pass in my WRX once. It was somewhat closely packed and my big worry was maybe overaccelerating backing out and hitting a parked vehicle where I couldn't brake in time. OTOH - maybe a shovel would have helped as there was a fresh dump of snow and clearing it out would make it more predictable.

I've tried some weird stuff too - like when I saw some piled snow in a turnout and wanted to see what I could do where it was relatively safe to try it out. Even in my WRX I couldn't get enough traction to power through once my bumper hit the pile. I eventually pushed through but it was like steering a boat.

This reminds me of my hometown of Santa Clarita/Newhall just south of the Grapevine on the morning after a snow day. Headed down I5 to the Valley there was an car or truck off the side of the freeway every couple of hundred yards. Dry payment now, there were multiple vehicles driving freeway speeds with chains still on. The noise was incredible.

I thought that chains weren't allowed. Or at least that's what Caltrans/ CHP says. I've certainly driven by there where the road was clear but there was tons of dirty snow off to the side. I'd imagine it gets really chaotic since there are no chain checkpoints and supposedly no good places to remove chains.

Back