Winter driving - 2004 WRX 5-sp vs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - looking to go up to the Sierras to play in the snow this winter, this time with my new wife.

I bring into the relationship my 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX 5-sp manual shift. I've taken it in the snow. I have some Cobra radial chains from Quality Chain that I bought a couple of years ago. I've tried installing them (PITA) but never had to use them (always waved through because I was driving an AWD Subaru with adequate tread). I also tossed some bungee cords in to use as chain tighteners, just in case I needed the chains. It did get a little bit squirmy with Pirelli P Zero Nero M+S (not adequate in the snow). It was better with my (current) Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS, which still have adequate tread for my car to bypass California R2 chain conditions.

My wife brings into our life a 2003 Honda Civic LX 4-sp auto shift. She doesn't know how to drive a stick. The tires are a combination of original high mileage and some replacements she bought after blowing out the tires on one axle. They're all-seasons but not particularly good. I'm thinking maybe getting these and a set of SCC Super Z6 cable chains. I've seen these in a store, and I like the diagonal design and the ease of installation (fit is somewhat loose, then included chain tighteners take up the slack). Of course I'd like the option of letting my wife drive after I've knocked back a few beers at the Yosemite Lodge Mountain Room.

If she knew how to drive a stick, the car choice would be easy. However - how would a Civic with chains do compared to my WRX w/o chains. I'm thinking the chained vehicle would probably steer/brake a bit better. Of course I could chain up the WRX tires.

I grew up in Connecticut where the winter seems to last about 10.5 months. To me, the thing that makes the most difference in Winter driving isn't the car or chains or tires, it's the driver's skill and experience driving in bad conditions with the vehicle.

As an example, I had a Pontiac 1982 J2000 that I regularly drove through snow with four mis-matched, heavily worn tires. Yeah, it was front wheel drive, but only sheet ice kept me from where I wanted to go as I knew what the car would do and what it wouldn't do.

My mother had a 1988 Taurus that was nearly new - good tires, much heavier car, etc... But it was far harder to drive in the snow, as I wasn't as familiar with it as my crummy Pontiac.

I'd drive the Subaru and start teaching her how to drive a stick.

later,
b

I have a WRX 04 with RE960's(10k miles) and found in heavy snow conditions near a mountain with serious snow (Jay Peak VT) that I was able to get around okay. I could not go very fast but you can't with chains either.

Hope for no snow(except middle of night) as its the pits to drive around due to slowness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back