Experiences with installing chains?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up here in Minnesnowda I used chains some about 45 years ago=never liked them much generally, but for unpaved rural roads OK. Studs came in and I studded plenty of tires at the tire shop-liked them better, but soon outlawed as they certainly did eat up the highways. The discussion of Calif/I80 reminds of riding motorcycle in summer of 2003 and into the elevations where chains had been used-the huge wear on I80 made riding a real challenge=huge and deep(inches)and the wear into the stone aggregate was slippery. We got off as soon as possible. Dan Mpls. Mn.

Originally Posted By: Lapham3
Up here in Minnesnowda I used chains some about 45 years ago=never liked them much generally, but for unpaved rural roads OK. Studs came in and I studded plenty of tires at the tire shop-liked them better, but soon outlawed as they certainly did eat up the highways. The discussion of Calif/I80 reminds of riding motorcycle in summer of 2003 and into the elevations where chains had been used-the huge wear on I80 made riding a real challenge=huge and deep(inches)and the wear into the stone aggregate was slippery. We got off as soon as possible. Dan Mpls. Mn.

I remember a coworker who lived in north Lake Tahoe, but commuted to a job in the Bay Area. He normally rode his motorcycle about every other week and found an apartment locally, but sometimes he had to take his Land Rover (which got horrible mileage). That must have been fun.

I think they intentionally pave in concrete because it lasts longer, even though asphalt repaved every five years would probably be smoother given all the chain wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back