Any experiences driving on chains/cables/snow socks?

Since I just got a set of Super Z (not Z-chain) cables for the Civic, I had a look-see at the difference between that and the Super Z6 I've got for my WRX. This is what I could see:

1) The Super Z6 comes in a nylon bag. The Super Z comes in a plastic box and it can be a pain to put it back in. I would probably just bring a large dishpan if I ever had to take them off and store them. The box is oddly shaped.

2) The Super Z6 has blue coated cables while the Super Z has bare metal cables.

3) The Super Z6 uses relatively flat keyhole connectors at all three connection points. The Super Z uses two bent keyholes on the inside and there are two nubs at each end. Not sure if maybe this allows a little bit more flexibility in tire size. The outside connector is a hook that attaches to a link. There's no specific way to secure these. They rely on the chain tighteners to pull on the connectors.

4) The provided chain tighteners look to be the same type although probably not the same size. The Super Z6 has red plastic beads at the ends of the cross members while the Super Z is yellow. I've seen photos of some Super Z models that didn't have the plastic bead. The coils are made of the same materials and look to be about the same thickness.

5) The main difference seems to be thickness of the connection points connecting the crossmembers to the side cables. On the Super Z they look to be about 15mm thick, where the crossmembers have a crimped-on attachment that then slots into holes in the connection points. On the Super Z6 they're really thin where they seem to be crimped directly into the connectors. So this is probably where they have the advantage on wheel well clearance because this is so much thinner. They're the same on both sides, even though it's probably not needed on the outside.

I've been looking at the difference between the Super Z6 set I have with the Super-Z. With a long look I see that the coils of the Super-Z are actually thinner. The coil wires are actually thinner, and the diameter of the coils is narrower. I'm not sure how this affects traction though. The Super-Z is the SZ323 size, while the Super Z6 is the SZ131 size for a larger tire.

However, both install pretty much the same way other than differences in the connector types, and requite the use of chain tighteners to keep the cables from falling off.

I've been looking at the difference between the Super Z6 set I have with the Super-Z. With a long look I see that the coils of the Super-Z are actually thinner. The coil wires are actually thinner, and the diameter of the coils is narrower. I'm not sure how this affects traction though. The Super-Z is the SZ323 size, while the Super Z6 is the SZ131 size for a larger tire.

However, both install pretty much the same way other than differences in the connector types, and requite the use of chain tighteners to keep the cables from falling off.
It's more durability. Thinner would be less durable, however though, the thinner coils would give you better traction, since it gives you more biting edges than thicker coils.

I'm an old school guy. I'm used to this stuff:

That's the type we uses to use in the army, that's the type of chains we use with the THW. The chains that I had for my private w123 were in principle the same (although obviously much smaller in dimensions).

As a California resident I can say that I have never used chains or what not. One of my favorite past times is to go to the mountains where it did snow and watch. Every 3Rd fwd car has them on the rear.

A few years ago we were @ sizzler in big bear , California and we spent our entire lunch watching a guy in a mustang with cables on the front tires try to get out of the parking lot.

Back