Using Amsoil EFM in GTDI engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tried doing a search but apparently Amsoil EFM (5W-40 Euro) isn't very popular? I was reading about how GM recommends the V6 and V8 (non-ZL1) Camaro use dexos2 5W-40 for track preparation, while the ZL1 gets 15W-50. This isn't really news to me, as Ford uses 5W-50 for its higher performance vehicles. But that got me thinking about the xW-40 synthetics, and saw that Mercedes specifies a 5W-40/0W-40 MB 229.5 for the AMG CLA45 which has a 2.0 GTDI.

I've been trying to find different oils to use in the girlfriend's 2015 Malibu LTZ with the LTG (2.0 GTDI). It has 86k miles, mostly highway driven but the oil always looks terrible with 7500 mile oil change intervals. It will use up 2 qt of oil in just over 5000 miles of driving on a single road trip. I've always had to add make-up oil.

I couldn't find a VOA of the Amsoil EFM or EFO to check the calcium levels, but would these oils be safe to use in modern GTDI engines? I have a pair of Ford 2.7L EcoBoost V6 engines, a GM LNF (2.0 GTDI), and the girlfriend's LTG to maintain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back