GM 2.0 Turbo LTG oil consumption (2015 Malibu 2.0 LTZ)

I wonder if the UPF64R filter would help...I believe that Chevrolet offered this at least at one time when they were transitioning either to or from the E-Core filters...

GF's 2013 has always had full synthetic (earlier Dexos 1 Gen 1 was synthetic blend spec) and she had the plugs changed very early in life due to the piston issue (hers had no symptoms of problems)...I change around the 10% mark on the OLM and she does not put many miles on but does almost all City type traffic...further, hers always gets Top Tier 93 octane Super Unleaded...

the oil change this morning was done at the OLM 13% mark and 9 months of driving...the oil still looked brown (not amber nor black) and it was full when I took it in...she's owned since new and I have used a "better than OEM" filter with the UPF64Rs used on the last 3 oil changes...

after it's been driven a bit underwood and that dip stick are hot...never run in the danger zone temperature wise though...

2-3 quarts down on an engine that only holds 5 is scary dangerous to me...

Good luck with hers...

Bill

Last edited:
I think the rings are shot because the oil is just really really black in a short period of time. She can't afford any serious expenses on the engine (like new rings/pistons/etc...)

I still need to change her spark plugs, apparently GM wants these changed every 60k miles even though the AC Delcos (rebranded NGK fine wire iridium with platinum on ground electrode) plugs are rated for 100k on other applications including GM's own LNF GTDI. I have the spark plugs on hand, but just need a day to change them and maybe throw in a borescope to check the cylinders.

I was about to retrofit the Mishimoto Camaro oil separator system, but then I thought, she is probably not going to drain those containers periodically... and the engine will just suck in a gulp of vapor/water/oil mixture and hydrolock the engine. Scratch that. I think for the time being I'll just keep pouring synthetic 5W-30 in there until the next oil change, and then have her check the oil level every 1,000 miles.

The engine idles like silk, sounds great, holds boost and produces lots of power, gets great mileage (22-23 mpg in city driving, 25 mpg mixed, and 30 mpg freeway), and I can't see any visible signs of smoke or smell anything odd. This is what makes me wonder if it truly is worn out rings or cracked/damaged pistons. The engine is almost at 98k miles.

Originally Posted by addyguy
If it were me, I'd buy an inexpensive syn-blend, like Pennzoil Gold, and run several 3k OCI's to see if I could clean it out a bit, and get consumption down.

If the oil wasn't right off the dipstick, and you never got a red oil light, there probably wasn't much damage done...these engines just use oil. Keep a closer eye on it.

I was thinking even simpler … when the weather warms, try a test with SuperTech SAE HD30 … it's actually SN Plus fleet gasoline engine oil … makes specific mention of formulated to avoid LSPI + strong oxidation stability.
Going to hold viscosity better than multi, not loaded with VM crud, or 3 base stocks.

at what percentage on the Oil Life Monitor are you changing the oil???...have you tried resetting the Tune to original, use 93 octane Top Tier gasoline and use the right viscosity oil (perhaps even try the Dexos 1 Generation 2 again) with a better oil filter than the e-core current spec???...

It seems like you have made a lot of changes based on other engines that may or may not transfer over to the GM 2.0T that resides in her engine bay...

Good luck,

Bill

Bill,

I had been using the Amsoil Ea15K50 filter prior to the PF64. I'm not sure how the E-core is inferior seeing how the PF457G that's been used in the GM LNF for years and years had an e-core, but I keep seeing slams against the e-core. In any case, I had been using the Ea15K50 for the previous oil changes up until now, and the Amsoil didn't stop oil consumption.

I had stopped following the OLM and just went based on mileage. I don't think it came close to 0% on the OLM. I didn't run the tune until later on, but didn't notice faster/slower oil consumption.
Running Top Tier 93 or 87 didn't seem to impact oil consumption either.

I had been using D1G2 5W-30 (Amsoil SS 5W-30) all this time until this recent oil change with Castrol Edge 0W-40. I'm actually [censored] at wasting all that money on Amsoil and not seeing any real difference.

ok...I see you here and on another Forum and I remember things I've read that are from there or when I'm there from here...

You did mention 2-3 quarts low at times and running an engine that I'd consider high strung that low as it only holds 5 quarts when full (I know you didn't run it that way) is not going to be good for it...

as for the e-core...I think why some bad mouth it is some of us had a different filter from A/C Delco and when GM seemed to consolidate to that e-core...some who took the time to tear them apart thought the insides were made of much cheaper stuff...I also had read that GM dealerships for some time substituted the UPF64R (R for Racing I'm told) for some 2.0T engines...I just can't recall what the issue was but I do know that the UPF prefix filters are (were?) made of stouter stuff and were similar to the Mobil 1 filters...synthetic filter media, stronger canister, better material seal and valve (IIRC)...

I'm surprised that she is able to get so many miles between oil changes (5K-6K) and still have plenty of life left on the OLM...my GF's 2013 2.0T just got the oil changed yesterday, it had less than 3K miles on it, the oil appeared light brown not amber colored but the OLM showed 13% and it had been almost 9 months...she does mostly City type driving...

Good luck with yours...

Bill

Last edited:
Used 6 or 7 PF63E filters now ...
always come off like this one

C79CAADA-ADFF-4B8C-81B5-E51E8F5F1C3C.jpeg

With her daily mileage, this recent oil change and filter will last about 4 weeks total! I'm not too concerned about keeping that PF64 in there for the long term, they cost me about $2 each. I'll cut open the PF64 and post pics.

I think her OLM typically has her change it about 7500-8000 miles.

As far back as 68k miles ago when I first looked at the car, the brand new oil would turn totally black after the first startup (almost like I never changed the oil). I understand the color of the oil doesn't tell the full story, but [censored] it is jet black. I've been changing oil myself for over 20 years and I've never seen this. Usually after the first start the fresh oil is still clear maybe gets slightly discolored due to the remaining oil.

Amsoil SS is not a D1G2 oil, FYI. If I remember correctly only the OE and XL have dexos approval.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Amsoil SS is not a D1G2 oil, FYI. If I remember correctly only the OE and XL have dexos approval.

SS 5W-30 is D1G2

https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf

She mentioned to me that she always had her oil changed based on the OLM at the local Cadillac dealer since brand new. She said the Cadillac dealer always fought her on the use of synthetics. She wanted Amsoil SS 5W-30 but the Cadillac dealer said synthetic blend 5W-30 was sufficient, even though her LTG is the same LTG used in the ATS and Camaro. I told her that the GM dealers ought to have full synthetic 5W-30 on hand, harking back on the days of GM 4718M where "Mobil 1" was often printed on the filler caps. Now there's AC Delco full synthetic.

Originally Posted by metroplex
SS 5W-30 is D1G2

No it is not and Amsoil tells you right in that self same PDS why it does not meet the requirements for dexos 1 Gen. 2.

With this one I just can't see why people are deceived so much when they spell it out right on the sheet. It is easily verified by checking the dexos licensing website.

There are no Amsoil products that are licensed dexos 1 Gen 2.

Originally Posted by kschachn
SS 5W-30 is D1G2

No it is not and Amsoil tells you right in that self same PDS why it does not meet the requirements for dexos 1 Gen. 2.
With this one I just can't see why people are deceived so much when they spell it out right on the sheet. It is easily verified by checking the dexos licensing website.

Well I scanned the PDF file and still couldn't find it, but it's probably there and I just can't see it for the moment. It says it exceeds Dexos1 Gen 2 in many of the tests as well as LSPI. I understand Amsoil never really pays to license their products, but she wanted to run the Amsoil SS 5W-30 (insisted on it). Sure is better than the olden days when we ran GM4718M Synthetic 5W-30 with lots of calcium on GTDI engines like GM's LNF. But bottom line is I'm not using the Amsoil now. It neither helped nor worsen the oil consumption.

Meanwhile the $2.50/qt Kirkland Signature 5W-30 does meet Dexos1 Gen2, same with Supertech 5W-30 synthetic and my local grocery store brand 5W-30 as well (Meijer), as well as Amazonbasics. I wonder how they would fare against Amsoil SS 5W-30 with this rock solid licensing.

SS 5W-30 is D1G2
She mentioned to me that she always had her oil changed based on the OLM at the local Cadillac dealer since brand new. She said the Cadillac dealer always fought her on the use of synthetics. She wanted Amsoil SS 5W-30 but the Cadillac dealer said synthetic blend 5W-30 was sufficient, even though her LTG is the same LTG used in the ATS and Camaro. I told her that the GM dealers ought to have full synthetic 5W-30 on hand, harking back on the days of GM 4718M where "Mobil 1" was often printed on the filler caps. Now there's AC Delco full synthetic.

When GM's 1.5l DIT engines were recalled for LSPI, the service bulletin specifically said to change the oil with AC Delco 5W30 synth in the US and M1 5W30 in Canada. I agree the GM dealers should have something like that around for use.

Amsoil says SS 5W30 passes the d1G2 LSPI tests but has sulphated ash levels that are too high to meet the standard.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Amsoil says SS 5W30 passes the d1G2 LSPI tests but has sulphated ash levels that are too high to meet the standard.

Which is an oxymoron since that test is part of the licensing requirement. It's impossible to pass the test when one of the test parameters is exceeded.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Used 6 or 7 PF63E filters now ...
always come off like this one

thanks for this...the earlier e-core filters I had seen cut open (admittedly a couple years back) had a yellow plastic anti drain valve not steel appearing as in your pic...

Bill

metroplex...If it were me, I'd ditch the tuning you did to the car, change to the proper oil viscosity, use the A/C Delco filter you have been using then and watch the Oil Life Monitor to see what percentage it shows and when unless your oil change interval is shorter than the OLM shows...I would also try a few tanks of the proper 91/93 octane fuel...

it appears although may not be true, that there are too many changes to the car to get an internet diagnosis to the problem...

and again, 2-3 quarts down in an engine that only has 5 quarts to begin with may be the place to start...

Good luck,

Bill

Originally Posted by silversport
metroplex...If it were me, I'd ditch the tuning you did to the car, change to the proper oil viscosity, use the A/C Delco filter you have been using then and watch the Oil Life Monitor to see what percentage it shows and when unless your oil change interval is shorter than the OLM shows...I would also try a few tanks of the proper 91/93 octane fuel...

it appears although may not be true, that there are too many changes to the car to get an internet diagnosis to the problem...

and again, 2-3 quarts down in an engine that only has 5 quarts to begin with may be the place to start...

Good luck,

Bill

Bill
The latest PF64s still use that yellow plastic valve.

The engine exhibited this oil consumption before the tune, and 93 octane had no impact on the oil consumption. I only ran 0W-40 for this recent oil change (basically 30k miles after I first looked at the car). Previously it used nothing but Amsoil SS 5W-30 which it drank like water, same as the 0W-40.
Right now the OLM is at 51% with about 3575 miles driven. So at 0% it'd probably be around 7300 miles. I estimate I'll have to change the oil in about 2 weeks. It's already used about 1 qt make up oil.

FWIW a co-worker had an earlier Buick Regal (LDK or LHU) and she said that it drank oil like this as well. She'd have to constantly feed it oil. Not that the LNF/LDK/LHU is the same as the LTG, but apparently this level of oil consumption isn't a one off situation.

So what I will do is run the stock tune, use Top Tier Costco 93 octane fuel, and licensed D1G2 synthetic 5W-30 from the grocery store because it is licensed D1G2, but I have a feeling it won't do anything because the engine was already doing this before I even looked at it or touched it. The Cadillac dealership used whatever 5W-30 they were pushing on her, and she used her own blend of 87/93 octane at the gas station for the first 68k miles.

Thanks

Back