Longest oil change interval on EcoBoost / GTDI engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL has a 2.7 F150, with the 6 speed trans, whatever year that is. It's his company car so it gets oil changes when the OLM indicates it. Dealer serviced, I'm willing to bet MC semisyn 5w30. His job has him covering a huge area so he already has over 100k on it. He doesn't even give it so much as casual deference and it's running fine.
My new truck is going to start out with Magnatec 5w30 / FL500s but if I so much as have the slightest inkling that the Magnatec is stressed, back to my old play book: Edge 0w40.

Having said that the wife's ‘17 EB Expedition is on Magnatec and the oil seems to be holding up fine at 5k OCIs, so it's staying with the Magnatec. Between Ford modifying the EB engines as necessary and the oil companies reformulating the oil for DI engines, all the past foibles may fade to black. Aren't the latest oil specs designed to address timing chain wear among other things?

Originally Posted by double vanos
My BIL has a 2.7 F150, with the 6 speed trans, whatever year that is. It's his company car so it gets oil changes when the OLM indicates it. Dealer serviced, I'm willing to bet MC semisyn 5w30. His job has him covering a huge area so he already has over 100k on it. He doesn't even give it so much as casual deference and it's running fine.
My new truck is going to start out with Magnatec 5w30 / FL500s but if I so much as have the slightest inkling that the Magnatec is stressed, back to my old play book: Edge 0w40.

Having said that the wife's ‘17 EB Expedition is on Magnatec and the oil seems to be holding up fine at 5k OCIs, so it's staying with the Magnatec. Between Ford modifying the EB engines as necessary and the oil companies reformulating the oil for DI engines, all the past foibles may fade to black. Aren't the latest oil specs designed to address timing chain wear among other things?

Very true but there is a big difference when running 8 more psi of boost lol. my 13 stock pushes around 12-14psi and my tune is setup to peak at 21-22 and hold 20psi.

Originally Posted by 2004tdigls
Originally Posted by Miller88
You know there's a lot of people leasing these cars that run the oil changes 10K miles without thinking twice.

that is because after the lease is done the car is dropped off at the dealer, as long as the engine lasts to the end the lease the owner doesn't care about longevity

I'm done with ever buying new cars. I'm very happy with a Hertz rental buy back as are two other family members. At least Hertz changed the oil. My fear is lease returns. Had a neighbor of my girlfriend's who I thought might be interested in some filters I had from a wrecked Buick Encore. "No thanks, I don't bother with filters"...(insert "or oil changes, because I'm leasing this thing," here).

Last edited:
My son's college teacher said he leased all his cars for 5 year leases. Said he has never change oil in any of them. Not his so he wasn't going to spend his money. As long as they ran when he turned them in he didn't care.

Originally Posted by rideahorse
My son's college teacher said he leased all his cars for 5 year leases. Said he has never change oil in any of them. Not his so he wasn't going to spend his money. As long as they ran when he turned them in he didn't care.

33.gif

Which I assume is a large mentality of a lot of people who do lease. I mean I may have a close mentality. I would do maintenance but I do not think I would go above and beyond like I do now lol

Originally Posted by rideahorse

Yeah, that's definitely not true. Part of lease return is going over the vehicle and making sure there is no major damage, tires and brakes are decent, maintenance records, etc.

So I see many people recommending Magnatec, but what is the difference between that and Edge for the Ecoboost? Specifically the 3.5?
Supposedly the Edge is their high end oil, would it better "better" than Magnatec?

Originally Posted by Srt20
So I see many people recommending Magnatec, but what is the difference between that and Edge for the Ecoboost? Specifically the 3.5?
Supposedly the Edge is their high end oil, would it better "better" than Magnatec?

I don't know this either. Other than price, I haven't seen any evidence that Edge is better than Magnatec. Castrol has so many different versions of the same oil that it is really hard to get an exact answer on this.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Don't do it. Change at 5K, use a quality synthetic.

The EB engines have timing chain wear issues directly related to oil viscosity and soot/particulate load. Unfortunately, the chain replacement is rather expensive. Pushing the limits with conventional oils in this engine is a proven sure fire way to achieve a poor result.

Nope a fleet of 4 dozen 3.5 Ecoboost F150's disagree with this. It comes down to the individual parts and assembly of the entire engine which determines which ones fail and which ones do not. Overly retentive maintenance only kicks the can down the road it does not prevent the failure.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Cujet
Don't do it. Change at 5K, use a quality synthetic.

The EB engines have timing chain wear issues directly related to oil viscosity and soot/particulate load. Unfortunately, the chain replacement is rather expensive. Pushing the limits with conventional oils in this engine is a proven sure fire way to achieve a poor result.

Nope a fleet of 4 dozen 3.5 Ecoboost F150's disagree with this. It comes down to the individual parts and assembly of the entire engine which determines which ones fail and which ones do not. Overly retentive maintenance only kicks the can down the road it does not prevent the failure.

I think I would trust 4.3 dozen more than just 4!
lol.gif

My EcoBoost does not use a timing chain, and I will not push the OCIs over ~5K miles, especially the winter one, regardless of the oil's quality/rep, or even posted UOAs, because; DI fuel dilution, and turbo bearings.
31.gif
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Srt20

FWIW, Castrol recommends Edge for our vehicles as the 1st choice, then Magnatec. Not too long ago, this wasn't the case.

Originally Posted by SilverFusion2010
Anyone tried M1 0w-40 in an ecoboost?

Yes …
I ran it a year and a half in my 2015 Explorer …
I sound tested PUP and M1 EP in 5w30 and then found the 0w40 was lower dB

Would running 93 octane gas help prevent LSPI in a 2016 2.7 EcoBoost?
Using a non SN plus oil?
What would be a thicker 5w30 SN plus choice?

Thx.

Dnewton would squeeze out at least 15k miles to get his moneys worth out of that 15.68 jug of supertech synthetic even with gdi....i go 6k max on synthetic whether i have to or not.. 14 ford focus still runs great after 93k

I use 0w-40 PP Euro in my 2015 Expedition with 3.5L Ecoboost. The engine does run smoother and quieter on the 0w-40 PP Euro than the 5w-30 PUP I ran during the warranty period. I was given a case of Mercedes-Benz Mobil 1 Oil, 0w-40 (a friend sold his MB) and I plan to try this on the next oil change. I am pretty anal about keeping to 5k OCI's.

Last edited:

I don't believe the Mobil1 0W-40 is LSPI friendly, it has a fairly high calcium level as I recall. Maybe the 3.5 EB is not subject to LSPI, I don't know
21.gif
. Our 2.3 EB is a smaller engine and possibly falls into the LSPI territory so I'll play it safe and use a dexos 1 Gen 2, SN+ oil. I'll stick with "plain vanilla" Mobil 1 5W-30. It meets all the specs for LSPI engines. My UOA's using Mobil 1 5W-30 have been really good for a 6,200 mile winter run and even better for a 7,000 mile summer run. As a bonus with the Mobil 1 rebates I've gotten it cheap and cheap Mobil1 oil filters at the same time.

Whimsey

Originally Posted by dieselguy67

Would running 93 octane gas help prevent LSPI in a 2016 2.7 EcoBoost?
Using a non SN plus oil?
What would be a thicker 5w30 SN plus choice?
Thx.

M1 HM 10w-30 is a thick 30. SN plus and ACEA A3/B3

In case you're not interested in a HM oil or want to stick with 5W30, Valvoline AFS 5W30 has a 3.2 HTHS, as does MAG 1/SuperTech/amazonbasics synthetic 5W30.
I guess I'm making an inference for the amazonbasics oil, but all three have the same d1G2 license # and we have pretty solid evidence in another thread that the MAG 1 and ST synth 5W30s are basically the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back