Using a taller filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.8 1ZZ-FE, I picked up some 90915-10004 made in Japan Denso oil filters and I wanted to use them on my 1zz which calls for the shorter 10003/YZZF2. I've noticed that almost every filter manufacture uses the same filter for the 1zz and the 2zz. Even Toyota's TRD oil filter is the same for the 1ZZ and the 2ZZ. I don't think I would have any problems using the taller filter. Suggestions? Comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this apply to my Camry too?
I have the space for a "D3" filter but am specced a "D1".

Where are you getting those OEM depth media filters. I would like to buy.

Rumor is, Beck Arnleys filters are the same.
Not sure though, will cut one open in the future.

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Should I add oil or just stick with the 4 quarts?

Add a little extra to compensate for the filter, but really there is no need for a larger filter.

They were actually in GM boxes and had both the GM and Toyota part number on them.

they were for Pontiac Vibes.
Which is a Toyota Matrix with a few GM parts thrown in just to mess things up.
the in their first gen(03-08) the base model(Matrix XR/Base) had the 1zzfe, and the GT model(Matrix XRS), the 2zzge.

oil and filter specs for both (from a doc i found on genvibe.com a looong time ago:
2zz-ge - 4.4l of 5w30 with oil change, or 4.8l dry fill. takes toyota's YZZF1 filter

1zz-fe - 3.7l of 5w30 with oil change, or 4.2l dry fill. takes Toyota's YZZF2 filter(but the YZZF1 works well also - only slightly larger)
the difference in the 2 really is slight they cross over to a Purolator 14476 (YZZF2), and 14477(YZZF1) same diameter, MAYBE 1/4 inch taller.

there was a TSB upping the fill on the 1zz-fe to the same as the 2zz-ge (4.4l @ oil change)
and of course the 1zzfe has been back specc'd to allow 5w30,5w20, or 0w20 (though i have some 0w30 GC to use @ some point..)

Originally Posted By: mv6845
Should I add oil or just stick with the 4 quarts?

Add and make note of how much you need to bring the oil level to the full mark on the dipstick.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Bigger filter? Just dump the whole 5.1 quart jug in it and call it a day.

it's not THAT much bigger.
4-4.5 qts and sleep soundly
"but then what about the extra .5qt?"
1) save it for next OCI, and just buy 4.
2) turn it in with the used oil for recycling (no fun)
3) keep a 5qt jug, pour in the "leftovers" from each OCI. use to top up if it uses enough, or, if you just keep adding to the jug each time, in just 9 OCI's you'll have enough for a "Free" oil change + the cost of a filter.

I always use the most media I can, but in the case of the Hyundai I prefer to use a thinner filter (the one that goes on Nissan v6 cars) because it fits through the circular hole plate easier and I don't have to scrape my hand on the plate to get the filter through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back