Using a lower octane fuel than recommended

So rather than speculate, fall victim to placebo and butt dyno, or fall for internet boogeyman on this subject I just collect data. Here's the timing correction logs for my VW Atlas on 87 vs. 93. VW states 87 is min. required octane. Both Costco fuels. Both in similar enviro conditions. Both same test...2 to 3rd gear pull to redline on same stretch of road. See if you can guess which is which. I still run 87 b/c the money isn't justified on my wife's daily around-town vehicle but you are going to make a little more top-end power on that 3.6 VR6 on 93 which jives with owner's manual comments to the effect that *performance numbers achieved using premium fuel.

So for those saying any timing/knock correction is bad/don't skimp out on your gas...how does that work when you get KR on 93? I think most folks have no idea how their vehicle looks w/r to KR and the fuel they use and if our cars were that sensitive to fuel there would be a lot of blown engines...but there aren't.

View attachment 82384View attachment 82385
I’m not doubting you, so if this comes off that way I apologize, I’m actually genuinely curious. And I’m throwing out all the economics of whether or not it’s worth it here.

Isn’t knock retard just a small part of an overall bigger picture? I remember when I had a Diablo tuner there was base spark, short term knock, and long term knock. Like say you’re running 87 in a car that “recommends” 91, it’ll run at (made up numbers) a base spark of 20°, whereas on 91 it’ll run 35°. You may get a few more short term knock events, but overall you’re still making a bit more power and getting a bit more fuel economy vs running 87, or am I completely wrong in my thinking?

I’m not doubting you, so if this comes off that way I apologize, I’m actually genuinely curious. And I’m throwing out all the economics of whether or not it’s worth it here.

Isn’t knock retard just a small part of an overall bigger picture? I remember when I had a Diablo tuner there was base spark, short term knock, and long term knock. Like say you’re running 87 in a car that “recommends” 91, it’ll run at (made up numbers) a base spark of 20°, whereas on 91 it’ll run 35°. You may get a few more short term knock events, but overall you’re still making a bit more power and getting a bit more fuel economy vs running 87, or am I completely wrong in my thinking?
You can record KR or the voltage of the sensors on my VWs. I also typically record total timing advance. Let's use my Golf b/c I log it all the time. Total advance is 15 deg max. Any KR will knock that back (no pun intended!) a bit so at most when I'm running sub-par fuel/no E I may be getting 12 deg total advance for example. The "Base" as you say is now 12 as the ECU collects short term/long term data during the drive and reduces trying to push up to 15 b/c it can't without getting KR events. Is that what you are talking about? You are for sure leaving power on the table when you can't get the full advance. I know for my Golf, I'd rather see some minor KR and push the advance vs. back off the advance to see zero b/c I can gauartee I'm making more power with a few ticks of KR once in a while but pushing it.

Does anyone use a lower octane fuel than the one recommended by the vehicle manufacturer?

Theoretically, any situation where the ECU has to pull timing in order to prevent detonation should have some impact on efficiency. However, I am curious if there are any applications where the savings from running a lower octane still outweighs any increase in fuel consumption.
No, if you are talking saving cost, rather than use lower than recommended octane, it is better cover 1/3rd area of your air filter with cloth, this will give you same impact but much safer.

The ecomomics of this discussion are a bit off to me based on how many people/internet lore has it - that running premium nets enough mpgs/fuel economy improvemet to justify itself. Let's use my son's Lexus, meant to run 91, that we run 87 in. I have not done a detailed study (using Fuely for example) so my numbers are more seat-of-the-pants/based on haivng this vehicle for the last year and a half and noting fill up mileage/volumes. We didn't note any difference in the mpgs going between 93 and 87 but for the sake of this discussion, I've shown a ~13% increase which to me is huge and likely way too much - it's likely 1 mpg or so. To break even, you would need a ~30% increase in fuel economy which is not happening and to make it worthwhile, you'd have to be above 30%. This obiously assumes your vehicle can safely run lower octane gas and that it will have acceptable performance etc. For us, it's been a no-brainer based on driving it.

Capture.JPG

In my world, there seems to be 87 octane fuel on which my Venza runs better. Last Sunday went country road driving. The fuel in my tank was from the local grocery chain. Was running low and bought 5 gallons at a BP station. Within a mile or so the engine perked up and was more responsive to the throttle and just seemed happier. I checked to make sure the car was still in the Eco drive mode. It was. Tempted to try 89 octane but the prices around here for premium grades is stupid right now.

Filled up last night at a Phillips 66 station. The MPG was 40.8 for the tank with two different fuel brands. About 80% of the tank was at higher speeds in VERY windy conditions. After 4 tanks the Venza is averaging 41.6 MPG. I'm happy. 🙂

I have an 04 infiniti FX45 with 190000 miles on the clock. It requires 91 octane, however, I live at elevation above 4000ft so I recently tried a full tank of 87 octane. I had no audible knock or any loss of power I could feel. What was weird is that I got about two more MPG on that tank - measurably better fuel economy. What I suspect is that the 91 octane, nowadays, has more detergents and may be using more ethanol to get the higher octane and, therefore, has less energy per given volume than the 87 octane.
That said, if I were at sea level, I would not attempt to run a lower octane than what the engine requires.

I also have a 04 Toyota 4runner V6 which requires 87 octane and I have experimented using 91 octane which turned out to produce noticably better power and smoother idle even here, in Reno NV, at elevation above 4000ft.
So... Each engine is different.

Most of your statement was true, but this part is questionable. Some of the additives added to gasoline to increase its octane (such as ethanol) have less energy per unit volume than the gasoline they displace. Gasoline is around 115k BTU/gallon. Ethanol is around 76k. So ethanol has higher octane but less energy. Blending more ethanol into the gas increases its octane but lowers its energy content.

PS: If the engine can take advantage of the higher octane to use more aggressive timing (valve or spark) to increase power, it offsets (whether completely or partially) the lower energy per volume of higher octane gas. Higher efficiency means squeezing more out of less. But only if the engine is designed to do that - otherwise, higher octane fuel is giving reduced efficiency & power. Generally speaking, I advise using the lowest octane gasoline that enables your engine to run at peak efficiency without pinging. If it wasn't designed for high octane, then running high octane has no benefit, and might actually reduce efficiency & power, not to mention costing more.
Interestingly, around here (with the exception of Petro Canada Ultra94) at some Esso, Shell and Canadian Tire stations, it's the 91 octane that proclaims/has proclaimed to have no ethanol, while the 87 indicates up to 10%:

Canadian Tire:
1640708007455.jpg

Shell:
1640708129721.jpg

What is the thing with zero E gas? Unless you have a really old car, the little bit of E helps with knock and at 10% the mpg diff has to be minimal.

Interestingly, around here (with the exception of Petro Canada Ultra94) at some Esso, Shell and Canadian Tire stations, it's the 91 octane that proclaims/has proclaimed to have no ethanol, while the 87 indicates up to 10%:

Canadian Tire:
View attachment 82395

Shell:
View attachment 82396
I keep hearing that around here but haven't seen it. I would be a buyer.
Overkill it is time for beddie...😂😂

Back