Using 5 Year Old Sealed Amsoil Gear Lube?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would you use 5 year old Amsoil Synthetic Severe Gear Oil (unopened 75W-90) in the differential of a well maintained vehicle with 100K miles?

Differentials were changed twice before.

Application is a 2013 Subaru Outback.

I just put two quarts of that in the 5 spd on my Corolla.
[Linked Image]

Clearly unsafe to use, please for the love of your car send this to me immediately for proper disposal (into the differential of one of my vehicles for disposal that is).

Use it. I am still using some 80w140 that I bought in a 20 litre pail back in 2014. I just shake it up before use. For some reason, unknown to me, it has not caused the differentials to grenade in my old Ram 1500, 3500 and C1500.

Use it. Even if it wasn't Amsoil reverse-osmosis-filtered, 11x distilled tears from dying baby rainbow unicorns with a stout add pack.

Just shake well for about 90-120 seconds before you use it to make sure you agitate up any settled additives. I have several quarts of Motul Gear 300 on the shelf for my Subies and without looking, I would say the newest one is 4-5 years old. I'll use every single one of them till they're gone (another 3-5 years even with 2 cars).

Amsoil Severe Gear is one of the best, and a couple years on the shelf won't hurt it any more than sitting in the differential for 5 years accumulating mileage. Your Subaru will live quite happily on it.

^^^^^ "reverse-osmosis-filtered, 11x distilled tears from dying baby rainbow unicorns with a stout add pack" Now that is a bit far fetched. Not by much though.

Yup. If oil (gear, ATF, engine) meets the spec of the vehicle it is going in, then (so long as in a closed container) I would use it, regardless of age.

I find it funny that gear oil is one of the most neglected items on vehicles and they last for decades and 200,000+ miles, and we worry about using new 5 year old fluid from a sealed container.

Which bottles should be shaken before use? Asking because I just did diff and transfer case changes with older bottles (5+ years?) and shook the gear oil but forgot to shake the ATF before filling the transfer case. (Amsoil, btw.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back