Users of Mobil 7500 clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a case of this stuff (5w30) while in the usa last year and so far, I don't like what I see.
I put it in a 99' Altima and from what I'm noticing, I'm not getting good mileage and am wondering if it's due to the engine oil.
Last year, drove down to Florida with a friend in the Altima, doing 120Km/hr and with Sunoco, we got about 310-320Km's on 30L's. On Chevron, we got 350Km's+ on 30L's doing the same speed, with Esso XD-3 0w30 with a Napa silver filter.
Now, using 7500 Clean 5w30 and a Napa Nascar select filter, I'm almost at 30L's and barely 285Km's on Sunoco (no Chevron in Ontario).
The plugs are pretty new, tire psi is set, air filter clean, etc.
I'm wondering, did anyone that has used this oil experience a drop in fuel economy?

No, but it made my engine in my '99 Accord A LOT louder. I've since switched to GC and the engine is quieter and smoother.

Hi,

I ran 4k mile run with it and saw about 1 mpg loss over my normal MPG.

I also did not like the Sodium showing up in my UOA on my next oil change after I changed it before.

Mobil 7500, Changed the oil to Pennzoil, ran that for 1500 miles and did a UOA.

It flagged as anti-freeze and now I don't know if I have a coolant leak or it's just Mobil oil.

Hopefully it is the oil.
dunno.gif

But to answer the question, it did drop the MPG and I'm not going to use Mobil oil again. The Mobil 1 did not do that well in my truck (worst UOA than Pennzoil for the same run) and not worth the money for any of their products.

I will say that Mobil 5000, Drive clean (+) and 7500 do seem to stay in grade more often than other oils.

But the wear metals in the UOAs are not better that other oils that get into the 20wt after a 5k run.

Take care, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I had used Mobil Clean 5000 since their MC 5000 High Mileage isn't available. I read several postings on here about Havoline and now use and will stay with conventional H. 5w30.

I get free oil changes for the first couple of years on my car, and they put Mobil 5000 in it the first time. Oil changes are recommended at 7500 miles. I changed the Mobil 5000 out at 2300 miles, and went to Castrol 0-30. Mileage stayed about the same. Today, went to get my free oil/filter change, and brought Pennzoil Platinum with me. Noticed that they had Mobil 7500 (which is a synthetic blend), and I thought...hmmm, maybe I'll let them put in the Mobil 7500...then, I declined. I'm glad I did after reading this topic! PP in and running quietly...

Sodium in itself does nothing to prevent wear. It is simply a counter-ion for the anionic species that are the active additives. Typically, instead of sodium, magnesium or calcium are the counter-ions. Personally, I'm a little leary of sodium salts being used as additives. I'm not convinced that there couldn't be long-term corrosion issues.

Bill, almost certainly the sodium you're seeing is from the Mobil oil, residual oil left in the engine from the last change.

quote:

Bill,
Why did this oil hurt your gas MPG? Any ideas why?

I thought as long as its 'API certified' starburst on the bottle, it would be an energy conserving oil and not hurt gas MPG?
dunno.gif

I also got an excellent UOA with the 7500 in my Civic. Great wear (even with a little too much Si), flashpoint, and viscosity. TBN still good as would be expected after a 5k run. Can't say I've ever noticed anything funny with regards to mileage or noise. Can runs like a top and gets very good mpg.

jeff

i am gunna try moblie 7500 clean in my next oil change this week. only thing is on paper, it has a -44 degree pour point, and a flash point of 392, thier are wya better dinos out thier in my opinion, Havoline, pennzoil, qs, seem to be the top 3.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr Magoo:

quote:

Bill,
Why did this oil hurt your gas MPG? Any ideas why?

I thought as long as its 'API certified' starburst on the bottle, it would be an energy conserving oil and not hurt gas MPG?
dunno.gif

No idea. Just reporting the facts...
dunno.gif

I'm running Chevron 5w-30 right now in the truck and just filled up last night.

I've had it in for 1500 miles (going to do a UOA to check that I do not have a coolant leak) and the last 4 tanks have been 21.2, 20.85, 21.6 and last night 22.45.

When I ran the 7500, I averaged 20.1 mpg.

The temps are the same and some highway and short trips. Same driving. No Idea....

So, over 49 cent Chevron, 1-2 miles per gallon.

quote:

Bill, almost certainly the sodium you're seeing is from the Mobil oil, residual oil left in the engine from the last change.

Boy, I sure hope so!
cheers.gif

Take care, bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Well, with the mixed opinions, and since I have 2 and a half bottles left, instead of getting more, I guess I'll just use it in the lawn mowers, than take the hit on gas mileage, especially with the price going up (thanks GwB).
I guess I should switch back to XD-3 and reap the benefits of it's goodness.
Thanks guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back