Used VW TDI prices.

So wanted to post just a general update to the bought a GLI thread but thread was locked for some reason.

The traded in TDI with its multitude of issues has popped up on the dealer site for an eye popping $4.9k more than what we got in trade which we felt was an excellent value considering what calculated trade in, Vroom, CarMax and others quoted. Used car prices are so much over the map I don't think there is any source that can give you accurate value of what to expect.

Mind you we are not mad by any stretch of the imagination as the car developed hard starting issues and some odd rattling from the HPFP area, the shocks/struts were past their usable life, was coming up on a DSG fluid change and the timing belt was a big question mark. We took the $10k and ran with it.

Here she is in all her glory if anyone wants a TDI with ~8 months left on dieselgate warranty. In the week they took to list it they could have at least washed it and removed the stickers but dealers gonna dealer. :ROFLMAO: Absolutely adore they highlighted the one wheel that lost its center cap. Can we say a huge sales fail?

2011 VW Sportwagen TDI

My old cars values have rocketed so high I keep contemplating sell one or both. I see them for sale for a stupid high price and I can't believe it. I'd private sell mine and I'd love to upgrade, but then I'd have to pay the inflated price on its replacement.
I'm guessing that in 1.5 years time the gas will still be high, but people will still be buying trucks and big SUV's. I can remember a time when they were begging people to buy trucks, huge incentives and the lots were jam packed with them.
I can't believe a dealership bought an 11 year old car to sell on their lot. If the car was mint with low miles I could see why but they are that desperate I guess.
All my friends with five year old cars are getting cold calls from the dealership they purchased at. They are trying everything to get their cars / trucks. Especially trucks, he gets a call once a week about it, he's too nice he doesn't say stop calling.

So wanted to post just a general update to the bought a GLI thread but thread was locked for some reason.

The traded in TDI with its multitude of issues has popped up on the dealer site for an eye popping $4.9k more than what we got in trade which we felt was an excellent value considering what calculated trade in, Vroom, CarMax and others quoted. Used car prices are so much over the map I don't think there is any source that can give you accurate value of what to expect.

Mind you we are not mad by any stretch of the imagination as the car developed hard starting issues and some odd rattling from the HPFP area, the shocks/struts were past their usable life, was coming up on a DSG fluid change and the timing belt was a big question mark. We took the $10k and ran with it.

Here she is in all her glory if anyone wants a TDI with ~8 months left on dieselgate warranty. In the week they took to list it they could have at least washed it and removed the stickers but dealers gonna dealer. :ROFLMAO: Absolutely adore they highlighted the one wheel that lost its center cap. Can we say a huge sales fail?

2011 VW Sportwagen TDI
No-they will sell it, not as quick as a gas model but anything with a working motor and transmission will sell these days. I know someone who sold a Ford Explorer to Carmax-and they marked it up $10,000.00-that's eye popping! And it has a 100,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
The car market is crazy right now. I had a 2017 4Runner that I purchased new in October 2017. Sold it in March (40k miles) for $900 less than we paid new. Walked into a few local dealers with the title in hand and took the highest offer. They listed it for $5k more than they paid me and was gone from their website in a couple weeks. Crazy times.

Back