VW TDI issues

So I have a 2014 Jetta TDI Sportwagen and a 2014 Beetle TDI. Bought both used early last year when VW was getting desperate after sales dropped with everything going on. Got decent deals on both of them including special financing on one of them, traded keys on the other and finally got rid of my bad Focus.

Well, Christmas eve I go to take the Wagon somewhere. The car starts then stalls immediately, after that won't start up just gives half a crank and backs out. UH oh. Gets towed to the dealer and they say the intercooler is frozen and they need to replace it with a revised part. Funny thing is now, two days ago, the Beetle did the exact same thing. Talk about these being the perfect conditions for it to happen. So I got to pick up the Jetta yesterday and the Beetle got towed in to take its place.

The Jetta was certified pre-owned so it has a warranty. The Beetle was purchased at a Chevy dealer so no warranty with that one. I am very lucky that the emissions warranty covered both otherwise I would have been out a lot of money. So much for grabbing one of the diesels while they still exist haha. Not really looking for advice, looks like it will be taken of. Just concerned about any damage that may have occurred with the engines hydro-locking. But time will tell I guess.

I just got a laugh out of it because I have several beaters that all have never had any issues and NEVER let me down. And the one car in the driveway that has a payment doesn't run lol. I guess sometimes in life we just need to have a laugh about certain things. Just figured I would share my story and hopefully someone gets a chuckle out of it.

If you can get the vehicle into a garage then do that and let them warm up. VW had issues with ice forming in the intercoolers and blocking the intake air on some of those vehicles. If that is the case with your then once it thaws the car should start. If this is the issue then unhook the lower intercooler hose and drain the water/oil gunk and clean things up and put it back together.

Volvo turbo cars have a weep hole in the inter cooler to allow the oil and moisture to drain. It is about 1/8 only, check and see if your cars have this???

Your cars did NOT hydro lock in the standard definition of this term, your cars suffered lack of airflow because of frozen moisture build up in the intercoolers small passages. The engines stalled because not enough air was entering the engine.

Been driving the Jetta wagon and it seems to be doing okay. I think it actually drives better now, probably makes sense because the intercooler isn't frozen and restricted now. Should have the Beetle back next week. They did confirm that there was a ton of water in the intercooler.

I'm surprised they both did that with the same time frame. Weather has been cold in our area, but not terribly cold. I guess the slush from the week before Christmas storm stayed on there! Did you take it to Sheehy in Hagerstown? I only had to go there once and didn't seem to have an issue, although their parts department prices have gone through the roof in the past year or so.

I'm surprised they both did that with the same time frame. Weather has been cold in our area, but not terribly cold. I guess the slush from the week before Christmas storm stayed on there! Did you take it to Sheehy in Hagerstown? I only had to go there once and didn't seem to have an issue, although their parts department prices have gone through the roof in the past year or so.
Yes, the Jetta was purchased there at Sheehy and was actually originally purchased there, still has a Sharrett sticker on it. They have been great to work with previously and the Jetta had major issues right after buying it. For the first 4 months of ownership, they had it for 3 months. But I have to say, in the end it got fixed up right even if it took a while.

Funny thing about the beetle doing it too is that I had it running when the Jetta got towed because it was in the way. I made sure not to just shut it down and took it for a ride first. The next time I go to start it, it locks up. Really must have been perfect conditions for the problem.

Back