13 Hyundai Sonata vs. 2013 VW Passat TDI 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've asked about a Jetta Sportwagen 2.0 TDI before, but I know some reliability issues could be model specific.

I have a 2013 Hyundai Sonata 2.4 GDi and found a 2013 VW Passat TDI with the awesome extended warranty on the engine and emissions system. From the photos it looks like it is in very good shape. The CarFax shows that the vehicle has been well maintained including the DSG automatic transmission service at 40,000 mile intervals. The price seems about right for it as well.

Are there any known major issues with the VW or is the Hyundai a better vehicle? The Hyundai did suffer an engine failure and Hyundai did put a new engine in it. At this point though nobody can give me a straight answer on what the warranty on the new engine is and all the dealerships near me are majorly incompetent and that's giving me some push to get out of it.

Thanks guys! You are all awesome!

The TDI with the extended warranty is a good vehicle. The high pressure fuel pump was a known issue but is part of the extended warranty with the emission cheat fix from VW. Don't have a clue about the Hyundai.

Originally Posted by simple_gifts
How is this substantially different than your previous question about 2.4s and your previous question about the 2.4 vs the jetta tdi.

Is a Jetta and a Passat the same vehicle? I assume the powertrain is the same, but I don't want to assume that they are the same reliability. I apologize if asking questions is a bother?

Originally Posted by sloinker
The TDI with the extended warranty is a good vehicle. The high pressure fuel pump was a known issue but is part of the extended warranty with the emission cheat fix from VW. Don't have a clue about the Hyundai.

Yes I have heard the HPFP can be problematic. From my understanding it seems they usually fail if the driver runs them out of gas and the pump runs dry. I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have heard typically kills them.

Originally Posted by Hallj49803
Originally Posted by sloinker

Yes I have heard the HPFP can be problematic. From my understanding it seems they usually fail if the driver runs them out of gas and the pump runs dry. I could be wrong on that, but that is what I have heard typically kills them.

Yeah, maybe.

VW also contends that inadvertent use of gasoline was an issue. I think the lowering of the sulfur content and its inherent lubrication properties was probably the culprit. Supposedly the replacement pumps from Bosch have been upgraded to deal with the issue. Nevertheless, I would still run Power Service conditioner with every fill up as cheap insurance and for its other benefits.
The diesels used in American VW's cross over to all the different models without any differences in the basic long block of the engine. There may be some slight hardware differences due to vehicle configuration but that is it.

How is this substantially different than your previous question about 2.4s and your previous question about the 2.4 vs the jetta tdi.

Is a Jetta and a Passat the same vehicle? I assume the powertrain is the same, but I don't want to assume that they are the same reliability. I apologize if asking questions is a bother?

Jetta=Focus=Corolla=Civic
Passat=Fusion=Camry=Accord

Op do you just do City driving? I would skip the TDI if that's all your going to do. They are meant to be highway cars.

I am all for buying a used car over a new car, but VW/Audi is at the bottom of the list for me. If you already own the Hyundai, and it had a new engine put in under warranty, why not keep driving it?

Originally Posted by Charlie2015
I am all for buying a used car over a new car, but VW/Audi is at the bottom of the list for me. If you already own the Hyundai, and it had a new engine put in under warranty, why not keep driving it?

Unless you hate the car that would be my advice.

I decided against a diesel car, a GDI car, and a turbo car in my last buying decision.

Some friends have basic Passats with 1.8T engines, they have high upkeep costs unless the work is done yourself. Same deal with a Diesel, fuel filters, additional maintenance, extra cost. I would say unless you like tinkering with cars or don't mind a higher service cost then it may not be for you.

I was looking at a dieselgate jetta wagon, but after watching youtube videos didn't want to mess with the maintenance.

My escape is not a refined car but it is good transportation and can be serviced for a reasonable cost, and I do most of the work myself without too many weird tools.

I'd rather put a new engine in the Sonata than be nickel and dimed to death in the VW.

Been there and done that.

Originally Posted by JustinH
I decided against a diesel car, a GDI car, and a turbo car in my last buying decision.

Some friends have basic Passats with 1.8T engines, they have high upkeep costs unless the work is done yourself. Same deal with a Diesel, fuel filters, additional maintenance, extra cost. I would say unless you like tinkering with cars or don't mind a higher service cost then it may not be for you.

I was looking at a dieselgate jetta wagon, but after watching youtube videos didn't want to mess with the maintenance.

My escape is not a refined car but it is good transportation and can be serviced for a reasonable cost, and I do most of the work myself without too many weird tools.

My Hyundai is a GDI but outside of warranty issue it hasn't been an issue if that makes sense.

Funny you say the Passat with the 1.8T TSI has been expensive for your friends. My partner has a 2016 Passat 1.8T. It's been VERY reliable. He's only had to do scheduled maintenance on it. Granted the oil changes aren't cheap, but it only needs it every 10k. He bought it new in 2016 and has 130,000 on it now. He drives like an [censored] (aka has a lead foot and an attitude LOL).

Do the Escapes really not have GDI? I thought Ford basically only did turbo GDIs now (aka ecoboost)? Unless you mean the older one that looked good (boxy).

Originally Posted by FordBroncoVWJeta

Jetta=Focus=Corolla=Civic
Passat=Fusion=Camry=Accord

Op do you just do City driving? I would skip the TDI if that's all your going to do. They are meant to be highway cars.

Most of my commute is a 5 mile stretch of 55mph driving with some stop lights. The rest is back roads that you are supposed to go 35-40 on but I go 55 usually. I would say I'm mixed on my weekday commute. I do drive to my moms to visit on weekends which is a nice stretch of highway at 60+mph.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back