used the "new" amsoil atf yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put 3 quarts of new amsoil atf in my honda element yesterday and a half quart of the old amsoil atf that I had left over and you could clearly tell that the new amsoil was much thicker than the old. I also think that the new seems to shif a little slower and smoother in the element instead of quick and slightly abruptly like the old. I dont know if that is because of viscosity change or??? So far on my element I have done one change of Z1, one change of old amsoil atf, and one change of amsoil new atf. Maybe it shifts different because I now have a higher consentration of amsoil in there, although different formulations of amsoil.

Would it be bennificial to do anouther change of new amsoil? I was driving today thinking how great my E was shifting and then I thought of the mutant mix of atf's that I have in there! Is that a problem?

Should not be, but I always do three drain and fills on my Elements when changing fluid. I drive about 5 miles between each drain. I figure that way I have about 95% all new fluid.

have you used the new amsoil atf Johnny? I would love to hear what you think about the new formulation.

You will never get 100% of the old ATF out. So you will always end up with some sort of mix. Just enjoy the fresh ATF.

I have not. My wife's Element has some Amsoil in it now that I got through Pablo last year and my son's Element has some Red Line ATF (I think it's called D4). Both are doing well right now, but will more than likely try the new Amsoil ATF in both the next time I service them.

I changed my 2008 GMC over to the ATL from the ATF. I had nealy 15,000 miles on the AMSOIL ATF which went in when truck had about 1,000 miles. I had them push thru 15 qts so its almost 100% pure ATL. I changed it because I always want to try the next best. I wish I could flush my CTS4 with 100% of the ATL but it has a closed trans and is difficult to flush (need specialty equipment no dealer have in my area, cost about $4g) and special procedure.

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
I changed my 2008 GMC over to the ATL from the ATF. I had nealy 15,000 miles on the AMSOIL ATF which went in when truck had about 1,000 miles. I had them push thru 15 qts so its almost 100% pure ATL. I changed it because I always want to try the next best. I wish I could flush my CTS4 with 100% of the ATL but it has a closed trans and is difficult to flush (need specialty equipment no dealer have in my area, cost about $4g) and special procedure.

What differences have you noticed?

I have not had my chance to drive the truck much since, only about 200 miles. All I have to refer back to is trans temp. Truck has guage and on a trek the weekend before I keep the guage on the DIC visible and noticed that when driving at less the 40mph in light traffic the temp would climb into the low 140°F, 144° is the high I can recall seeing. It would always go back down into the 130's or 120's once I got out on the hwy under normal cruising. I had the occasion to make that same 100 mile run again this past weekend in very similar conditions (weather & driving) and observed it did not reach 140°, staying in the the high 130's. I keep waiting for it to hit 140° but it never did. The weather was cold, 40's to low 50's F and I was not hauling or towing anything.

It also very possible some other factors caused the change in temps and not the ATL.

Like I said, I put it in because I can and I prefer to use what I deem the best. I am exploring changing my CTS4 over. I talked by phone with a Cadi dealer about 125 mi away who told me he has the Kent-Moore (GM) tool kit it took for flushing the close trans like on the Cadillac CTS. Now if I can only get past his bigotry over non-GM lubes although on the phone he did not seem to have a problem with it. Said they sell AMSOIL in their Pro-Shop and he has installed it many times for customers. We shall see. I might be able to get down there in the next month or so. Want to let the Cadi get at least a few thousand miles (just hit 2,500).

Mike thanks for posting your real world experience with this product.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Mike_dup1
I have not had my chance to drive the truck much since, only about 200 miles. All I have to refer back to is trans temp. Truck has guage and on a trek the weekend before I keep the guage on the DIC visible and noticed that when driving at less the 40mph in light traffic the temp would climb into the low 140°F, 144° is the high I can recall seeing. It would always go back down into the 130's or 120's once I got out on the hwy under normal cruising. I had the occasion to make that same 100 mile run again this past weekend in very similar conditions (weather & driving) and observed it did not reach 140°, staying in the the high 130's. I keep waiting for it to hit 140° but it never did. The weather was cold, 40's to low 50's F and I was not hauling or towing anything.

It also very possible some other factors caused the change in temps and not the ATL.

Like I said, I put it in because I can and I prefer to use what I deem the best. I am exploring changing my CTS4 over. I talked by phone with a Cadi dealer about 125 mi away who told me he has the Kent-Moore (GM) tool kit it took for flushing the close trans like on the Cadillac CTS. Now if I can only get past his bigotry over non-GM lubes although on the phone he did not seem to have a problem with it. Said the sell AMSOIL in their Pro-Shop and he has installed it many times for customers. We shall see.

If you do get a flush to install the Amsoil, remember to ask them to purge the flush machine of all new ATF before adding the Amsoil. If the pan cannot be drained first then they need so use some extra QTs of Amsoil as there will be some mixing of old and new ATFs in the pan when they start the flush.

Actually I mispoke, they are not a Cadi dealer but a Chevy dealer (open 24/7), Frie Chevrolet in Marquette. The Cadi dealer (where I got my truck) is a mile down the road.

By Pro shop I mean the parts dept has a counter that sells after-market parts like AMSOIL, Mobil 1, K&N, NASCAR related items, and car and truck accessories etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back