used Sig P320 (recall done)...is it safe?

got a used Sig P320 compact (late '16 - early '17 variant) that has the 'voluntary upgrade' done...clean gun & light wear; now I've been told there are inadvertant discharges & lawsuits involving the P320's; should I be concerned? is the issue blown out of proportion? is it safe?

Last edited:
got a used Sig P320 compact (late '16 - early '17 variant) that has the 'voluntary upgrade' done...clean gun & light wear; now I've been told there are inadvertant discharges & lawsuits involving the P320's; should I be concerned? is the issue blown out of proportion? is it safe?
Follow all gun safety rules. You have to be confident in your gear, so if you’re not (and it sounds like you’re not), you should sell it.

I’ve got a handful of different P365s and they’re definitely nice carry guns, but if my life depended on it I’d want my HK USP in my hands. Your call is the only one that matters! 👍🏻

"Inadvertent discharges" on the P320s that had the recall upgrade done?

"Inadvertent discharges" on the P320s that had the recall upgrade done?
I don't know...been told there's a recent lawsuit or two surrounding p320's; still trying to sort thru saber rattling & get to actual info

Follow all gun safety rules. You have to be confident in your gear, so if you’re not (and it sounds like you’re not), you should sell it.

I’ve got a handful of different P365s and they’re definitely nice carry guns, but if my life depended on it I’d want my HK USP in my hands. Your call is the only one that matters! 👍🏻
sell it...hmmm; just got it less than a week ago & the feedback I got was from yesterday; just trying to sort thru saber rattling and get to reliable source info...

'saber rattling'?

The voluntary upgrade from Sig addresses the drop safety problem. Negligent discharges is a whole other issue.

I'm fully confident my P320 is as safe as the other pistols I own, but I'm not holstering or carrying it since they are all just range toys.

'saber rattling'...overblown emotional presentations to bad name Sig instead of providing facts about incidents, legal cases, and fixes; for now my p320 gonna chill for a few days then it'll get @ 100 rds to proof functionality, see what practical accuracy I can do, and acclimate to trigger & recoil impulse; most likely become HD handgun...

That's not really what saber rattling means. Just sayin'.

Enjoy your P320. It's definitely different than most other striker-fired pistols in many ways, the grip shape and angle being the most noteworthy. It has a nice trigger but I had to ditch the flat trigger shoe that everyone else seems to love and install a curved one, and only then could I shoot it fairly well.

The design of the fire control unit makes me really appreciate the simplicity of Glocks.

I more or less put all of these so called "inadvertent discharges", into much the same category. Lawyers searching and fishing for business. And gun companies doing whatever they can to prevent giving it to them. Attorneys and politicians are far more dangerous to guns, than having them, "accidentally" go off.

50 years ago, you never heard of all of these firearm recalls, and subsequent lawsuits that always seem to come from them. Since then we've become a far more litigious society. This is what happens when you have all of these law schools crapping out attorneys every year, like chickens laying eggs.

Practice all the rules of gun safety all the time, and you and your Sig will be just fine. I only hope that after you return from the range from shooting it, you can find something to watch on TV other than how bad the Camp Lejeune water supply was before electricity.

This is not a black/white one here. I'm a big fan of Sig P series (220, 226, 229, 210) and have owned more than a few since the mid-90's. Something just isn't right with this model. Waters got muddied as some of the stories sure seem to be embellished so to blame the gun for negligent handling by the person with control over the handgun. THose did not help the matter.

I'm on the fence here as there seems to be too many "stories" to be nonsense yet many of them have seriously negligent components.

That's not really what saber rattling means. Just sayin'.

Enjoy your P320. It's definitely different than most other striker-fired pistols in many ways, the grip shape and angle being the most noteworthy. It has a nice trigger but I had to ditch the flat trigger shoe that everyone else seems to love and install a curved one, and only then could I shoot it fairly well.

The design of the fire control unit makes me really appreciate the simplicity of Glocks.
+100 !

50 years ago, you never heard of all of these firearm recalls
Ruger did on some of their older Blackhawk revolvers. Back then, I recall seeing a news report in my area where a guy had his fall out of the holster, hit the ground, discharge and strike and kill him. Sure there were some others back then too. Since then, there have been improvements in revolver design to make them safer and only go bang when you want them to.

Ruger did on some of their older Blackhawk revolvers. Back then, I recall seeing a news report in my area where a guy had his fall out of the holster, hit the ground, discharge and strike and kill him. Sure there were some others back then too. Since then, there have been improvements in revolver design to make them safer and only go bang when you want them to.
That was when they went from the 3 screw frame to the transfer bar. A lot of single actions, (including Colt), are still made that way. They're not really, "unsafe". Most all of them were meant to be carried with the hammer down on an empty chamber.

If you can find an original 3 screw Ruger in good shape today, they're worth quite a bit more than the modern transfer bar models.

Milwaukee PD recently settled a suit against SIG-SAUER with the SIG P320. SIG refunded the cost of over 1,000 pistols. MPD replaced the SIG pistols with Glocks. Last I saw there have been @ 50 (likely more) lawsuits filed by law enforcement and military personnel against SIG over the P320.

If you can't have confidence in your sidearm's reliability, it's the wrong gun to carry.

Back