Used Review- '17 Nissan Armada Platinum

Three grand a side.
Sure about those figures?

Thats what the OEM part cost was on my Titan. Im sure that was MSRP and a discount would apply.

Maybe its come down? Likely since many more have been made in the interim.

I was lucky to catch it under warranty

Could also be I was presented with an inflated warranty statement to make me "feel good".

Most guys go aftermarket and split the manifold and cat into 2 parts, or in a non smog state just put on headers.

UD

I have rented one of these before. I like them but they don't hide their size/weight at all..very apparent you are driving around in a massive SUV.

I like that it's based on a global Nissan Patrol platform and not a model unique to the US. When I was fixating on windshield quality a few years back, the Armada had the best quality glass of all the Nissan truck/suv platforms.

I bet it's a pain to hand wash it right? The roof is high up and rather large.

I’m sorry to say, but these Armada platforms sound like heaps...

Another member here had an Infiniti QX60 (same thing basically) that the extended warranty has paid out over $20k.

Another member here had an Infiniti QX60 (same thing basically) that the extended warranty has paid out over $20k.

One could come to that conclusion, but a scan of even this site shows far worse problems plaguing very popular GM products.

Compare to thread here about a 6.2 denali with a blown engine AFTER getting an AFM rebuild done.

UD

One could come to that conclusion, but a scan of even this site shows far worse problems plaguing very popular GM products.

Compare to thread here about a 6.2 denali with a blown engine AFTER getting an AFM rebuild done.

UD
Yeah but that is only 1 issue, compared to the Infiniti’s laundry list.

Yeah but that is only 1 issue, compared to the Infiniti’s laundry list.

Lets say taking the engine was apart for upper end work prior, and now it being totally blown is "1" issue.

Kind of a big "1" wouldn't you say?

UD

Yes, I've read that thread. Unfortunately his did seem like a lot of trouble, but I wouldn't put a blanket statement like that on the platform. Many people with a ton of miles on these with minimal issues.

We have a 14 platinum reserve that has 90K on it and has been issue free except for warped front rotors...but they lasted 75K so no complaints. OEM Michelin tires didn't make it past 38K even with 6K rotate and balancing. Put Nexxus ATs on it after the OEM Michelins were done, been great for 50K and have half the tread left on em.
Am keeping away from the new GDI 5.6, just can't do a gas motor with all the mechanical issues and expenses of a diesel motor, just without the torque of one.

UD

That is true. But the numbers sold of those high volume vehicles (did you mean pickups?) are much higher than Armada numbers. Gm sells at least 40,000 units a month of pickups. Last year (ytd) not quite 654,000 total vehicles were sold by Nissan. How many were Armadas? Not many.

If the OP is happy-that's all that matters. But as stated-I wouldn't go anywhere near one of these things. And their late model Titan (Cummins diesel) was also plagued with issues. But then again-the RAM didn't do much better.

Last edited:
That is true. But the numbers sold of those high volume vehicles (did you mean pickups?) are much higher than Armada numbers. Gm sells at least 40,000 units a month of pickups. Last year (ytd) not quite 654,000 total vehicles were sold by Nissan. How many were Armadas? Not many.

If the OP is happy-that's all that matters. But as stated-I wouldn't go anywhere near one of these things. And their late model Titan (Cummins diesel) was also plagued with issues. But then again-the RAM didn't do much better.

On volume for sure...

It would be interesting to see If we leveled it out in terms of engines needing internal work per thousand @ X mileage interval who was where.

Rocker bearing and AFM issue abound in GM V8's.

The fords are hit and miss with cam chain issues, and the Hemi develop the mystery "tick" that seemingly been never fixed.

The QX80 would be the cousin of the Armada, the 60 is a different platform (Pathfinder equivalent)

My 2011 QX56 (same platform as 2017+ Armada) has been pretty good. Had a timing chain recall done, needed new catalytic converters which I was able to get the dealership to spring for, and I had to replace both front unit bearing hubs. Bought it at roughly 120k and it's got almost 170k on it.

Not a bad rig. Doesn't get amazing mileage in town, but it can get almost 20 on the highway. It's comfortable and has a ton of power. Well for an SUV built in 2011 anyway.

Another update as there was a comment on the poor mpg of this platform. I just completed a 1250 mile trip to Bryce canyon and the grand canyon north rim.

Mpg was as follows

Tank 1: 17.2- elevation gain of 6500 ft and 30 miles of slow dirt road driving.

Tank 2: 22- all highway, varying elevation changes, cruise mostly set at 72

Tank 3: 21- driving around Bryce canyon national Park a lot, then drove to Grand canyon.

Tank 4: 22.2!- dirt road driving, easy park driving, then back to Phoenix. Had to 2 lane pass often. Cruise mostly at 72.

I'm thrilled with the results! Highway rating on this configuration is 19. It is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. There was one thing I didn't like though; cruise control behavior is not very good. Doesn't maintain speed downhill unless collision assist is activated for some reason and up steep grades it downshifts and upshifts too often instead of holding the speed/gear.

Overall though, what a ride and the trip was incredible.
IMG_20200815_174027479.jpg

The cruise control being that way is typical of most cars, but those MPG numbers are wild for something that big!

I'm thrilled with the results! Highway rating on this configuration is 19. It is an extremely comfortable road vehicle. There was one thing I didn't like though; cruise control behavior is not very good. Doesn't maintain speed downhill unless collision assist is activated for some reason and up steep grades it downshifts and upshifts too often instead of holding the speed/gear.
Seems like they could have done much much better in that department doesn't it?

GM probably doesn't sell many 3.0 diesel Silverados, but I've seen two with severe rear main seal leaks and we are now stocking that part. And AC condensers for 14+ models going on backorder every summer is just routine now. Unfortunately, I don't trust anyone's quality anymore. I think a manufacturer backed extended warranty is a good idea on any late model truck.

I like this generation of Armada a lot better than the last one. I hope it will be reliable for the OP.

One more update on my review of my wife's Armada. Last weekend I towed 'Ol Bessie out to my brothers property to store it. I opted for the Armada for the job. Towed a total of 202 miles. 125 miles w/ trailer only(2200 lbs) and 77 miles with the truck on the trailer(6700 lbs).

The Armada did a great job, felt stable. A lot of people like to say they don't even feel a trailer back there but I definitely did :) Acceleration and braking were great and tow/haul was effective. One thing I would do if I towed regularly would have some sway assistance in place. As a direct comparison towing the same load a year ago vs my old 2010 F150 5.4; the F150 was more stable but braking and pulling power were much better in the Armada. The 5.4 struggled up inclines but the 5.6 is a beast!

Overall mpg was 13.9; which again impressed me. I think that covers everything with this review!

IMG_20200919_131610718_HDR.jpg

Back