Used motor oil as diesel fuel questions

I've decided to stop the experiment for now. It smells like my engine is completely missing control rings. This can be annoying for others and myself too at times. A two tank system would be better in that regard. Cruise on WMO and switch to diesel while in town or idle. Also, just watching the videos of guys using a centrifuge, the amount of crap it pulls out of the oil is incredible. I have no data to back this up but besides coking up the injectors, this stuff might be abrasive (Hydraulic/ATF/gear oil) and to me it's a bit like running an engine without an air filter.

A "2-tank system" would be better in that regard. Cruise on WMO and switch to diesel while in town or idle. Also, just watching the videos of guys using a centrifuge, the amount of crap it pulls out of the oil is incredible.
Yes, I honestly would *NOT* do it without a centrifuge

The early 90's version of "Cummins Service Bulletin 3379001" (waste oil added to fuel)
used to allow 10%, they have since revised it to 5%.

Still better to centrifuge the oil, no matter what

been running 50/50 diesel and WMO/black diesel in 2000 7.3 40,000 miles so far, filtered to 3 microns. Added a davco382 with heat, a 2-micron filter, and an additional electric fuel pump. Has water injection and propane. water and the propane were added after it started smoking a little. cleaned up now. Runs great.

I goofed around with growing my own diesel a few years ago. I planted a few acres of Camalina grain and harvested it, then ran it through a small one ton per day oilseed press, filtered it and blended it 50 / 50 with petro diesel. Once in a while threw in some "black diesel" too. I burned it in any non common rail diesel I had, tractors, trucks, skid loaders. It worked well and I never had a failure due to using it. It has better lubricity than straight petro diesel. Just has to be clean, the best filter I found was a centrifuge. I did this 10 years ago and everyone said "what's camalina? never heard of it" now the government is giving grants to grow it. I've still got the little oilseed press if anyone is interested. It will do sunflowers, soybeans, canola, etc.

A vp44 pump 12v Cummins will use wmo and diesel (60% diesel) without issues if it's filtered down to like 2 microns. Common rails and 1.9 TDIs don't like waste motor oil.
And the TDI injection pumps start leaking to the outside after like 15 years anyway

Back