Used Minivan - Considering '04 Odyssey - Bad Idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's worth anything I have an '03 (5 speed) on the first trans and 146k. It does give me a little bit of a jolt going into reverse when it's very cold shifting shifting into reverse the very first time. Strangely going into drive first, then reverse I can avoid the jolt. But yes it's somewhat of a gamble since you could be lucky and have no issues for a long time or have problems shortly after. I had a coworker buy a used '02 with the 4 speed and he replaced the trans about a month later.

Thanks fellas for the excellent feedback, this is all very helpful. For what it's worth, this model is a late '03 manufacture date, sold as a 2004. I know this because the Carfax shows the first registration date as being in 12/2003. Sounds like if the Honda is really that much better a minivan (condition-wise, how it drives, etc.) than the others in this age / price range that it still might be a worthwhile buy, despite potentially having to put a fair bit of money into it at some point.

My belief (and experience) is that with most imports / domestics I should get 200k or so before a major expense like an automatic transmission replacement. Sounds like I may not have that luxury with a 2nd gen. Odyssey. But there's no doubt in my mind that this van has another 5-6 years of life in it (no corrosion issues here in Colorado, vehicles will last forever if you care for them). All the major service has been done (timing belt, motor mounts, water pump, etc.) recently which should take us a lot of trouble-free miles with no worries other than the unknowns with the transmission.

So the way it's starting to appear is that I might be rolling the dice with the Odyssey in that a huge repair bill will come sooner than later. But the harsh reality is than an auto trans. will likely fail at some point during my ownership regardless of what brand I buy, as we plan on driving whatever we buy to 200k (or beyond) as long as it stays reliable.

Base models are all but out (unless we found a screaming deal on something very low mileage). We want something with a premium feel (the Sedona EXs fit that bill, but barely) like a Town & Country, or higher equipped models. We looked at the Toyota Sienna, but they're too cookie-cutter IMO-- I'm just not a fan of Toyotas of any model, they're too plain and unexciting.

Keep the input / experiences / suggestions coming! Much appreciated.

I own an '06 Odyssey. Its been a good van, and I believe it has substantially more power than the other two vehicles you mentioned. With that said, get a 2007 model, or at least an 05-06.

It IS worth the extra you would pay to get the later model. You will thank yourself later.

I bought my 07 Oddy over 2 years ago and it's been great. Being an 07 it does have the better Ridgeline tranny and I did replace the transmission fluid as a precaution (make sure to use only the Honda fluid on these babies) The Honda is easy to work on as far as maintenance goes (Check out Eric the Car Guy at http://www.ericthecarguy.com/ for easy DIY videos. That being said, if you go with the 04 the chances of tranny problems is high, so either get an extended warranty that fully covers the transmission or take a pass and look for a later model Oddy or Toyota Sienna which is also great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
For what it's worth, this model is a late '03 manufacture date, sold as a 2004.

All the more reason to run from this one and i mean that seriously. Believe me i know my way around these vans at night with welding goggles on.
These are the one of the very few vehicles i am afraid of selling, i will register and insure it for a month and drive it before i even think about it. I wouldn't even consider selling or buying an 03. This pig of a vehicle will be your worst nightmare come true and you can etch that in stone.

+1 on the Sienna. much better vehicle with a solid transmission.

Last edited:
My belief (and experience) is that with most imports / domestics I should get 200k or so before a major expense like an automatic transmission replacement. Sounds like I may not have that luxury with a 2nd gen. Odyssey. But there's no doubt in my mind that this van has another 5-6 years of life in it (no corrosion issues here in Colorado, vehicles will last forever if you care for them). All the major service has been done (timing belt, motor mounts, water pump, etc.) recently which should take us a lot of trouble-free miles with no worries other than the unknowns with the transmission.

With nearly 140k miles on it, I'd say that the transmission would probably have puked by now if it was going to die an early death, but this generation certainly wasn't known for having robust transmissions, so they're kind of a dice roll either way. All else being equal, I generally advise staying away from the earlier Odysseys...but they are nice-driving minivans, aren't they?

I guess you have to weigh the potential for a failed transmission with the other factors (price certainly included). If you can budget that into your cash offer, you could come out looking pretty good. You might offer them $4,000 in cash saying that you're afraid of the transmission and see what they say.

Given that the major maintenance (like the timing belt) has been done, and given that these engines did not have Honda's Variable Cylinder Management, you might have a pretty solid vehicle that will run for many years. In fact, you might even just PUT a transmission in it up front if you can buy it right. Then you can be pretty confident that you have MANY more years in that vehicle.

I have a late 04 and I am at 257k. If they did the recall and did not drive the van like they stole it- should be ok. Just do simple drain and fill on the trans every oil change or every other oil change as it is really easy to do. If it is not slipping and you do not have a blinking D- you should be ok. Go to odyclub.com for info on how to fix things. Power doors are really easy to fix and not half as bad as some will make it sound. Main failure point is the middle roller- takes all of 30 minutes to fix. The latch motor is another part that will go- again 30-45 minute fix and easy to fix. My van is going on 11 years old and everything is working except for the vent windows in the back- and even that- there is an easy fix- just too lazy to use it as my ac is still working.

I would by it and not look back- also there is quite a few trans rebuilders that have addressed the weakness so on the off chance you do no need a replacement- you can get it cheaper than the dealer and keep on rolling. Gator transmissions, level 10 and I am sure more as they know what was wrong with it.

I'm just not a fan of Toyotas of any model, they're too plain and unexciting.

Is a transmission replacement exciting enough?

Originally Posted By: Trav
The transmission on the 04 had the durability of a wet noodle in a boiling pot of water regardless of how well it was maintained.

EVERY automatic Honda / Acura transmission we've owned since a 1985 Accord has failed over 100k.

I will never buy a Honda auto again

I have some friends out in Oregon with a 2003 Ody that has (had) a little over 130K on it and no transmission problems, but they are extremely meticulous about maintenance, like oil changes every 3K on the dot and frequent transmission fluid changes. They also don't drive it hard either, in my observations they stick at or below posted speed limits, which in Oregon are pretty low to begin with.

I drove the van myself about 500 miles around Oregon when I was last there and it's rock solid. I would buy it tomorrow if I wanted a minivan, but that's about the only 03 Odyssey I would touch
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back