Used 300c?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: cptbarkey
Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Nonresponsive. Either answer the question or admit that you were bloviating.

Perhaps he doesn't want to write anything. No one is required to answer you at all. Especially when you're being difficult...

I'm with Jarlaxle. He seemed reasonable to me. cptbarkey sounds like just another Chrysler basher to me. That's a cottage industry here in bitog.

The facts are OP isnt clear on his technical skills, hence nobody in their right mind should recommend someone buying an 11 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles. Jarlaxle being a typical passive aggressive troll doesn't bother me much.

I have invested over $500 in parts alone so far on a front end rebuild on a project 97 ram, and considering another $300 for engine stuff, so no I am not a chrysler basher.

Boy, give it up. You bloviated, you were called on it...and you folded.

Possibly the point being made is that at 11 years and 220K anything from the water pump to shocks to window lifts to u-joints could be on the verge of failure. You can't buy a vehicle in this stage of it's life cycle and think it's going to be trouble & expense free no matter what sage advice is given for free.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You can't buy a vehicle in this stage of it's life cycle and think it's going to be trouble & expense free no matter what sage advice is given for free.

Yup,I agree,move along! Not worth the headaches IMO.

Originally Posted By: RazorsEdge
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
You can't buy a vehicle in this stage of it's life cycle and think it's going to be trouble & expense free no matter what sage advice is given for free.

Yup,I agree,move along! Not worth the headaches IMO.

I agree, at this age & mileage anything and everything can be a problem. Not that I'd let it stop me: I just bought an 17 year old car (albeit with less miles), but did so with the firm expectation of needing to drop a grand in short order. Anything used (anything!) should be bought with a repair budget in mind. Just in case.

Originally Posted By: buck91
Right now I want to get her out of an aging and falling apart Oldsmobile, but need to balance cost and repair needs.

The 300 might indeed be a better car that what the OP's wife is driving now. All relative, I consider 11 years old/ 220K miles aging....

Boy, give it up. You bloviated, you were called on it...and you folded.

No, this was the part where you already were put in your place by other respected forum posters aside from myself. Or did you come to this thread to contribute like i already did in my first post? Let me guess, you are looking up another fancy word in your thesaurus that no human uses in real life? I cant wait.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
OPs question was for any issues that are specific to Chrysler 300, where is all this "everything can fall apart" wisdom coming from?

You are absolutely correct. Only those with first hand knowledge gained by owning 300s with over 200K should be replying.

My apologies for bloviating.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
OPs question was for any issues that are specific to Chrysler 300, where is all this "everything can fall apart" wisdom coming from?

The usual place: some posters squatted and bore down.

Gave a 2007 away at 107k - now at 160k trouble free. I changed trans, rear end fluids at 70k and the timing belt at 100k...really need to know if it' got a timing belt at 200k ... not a pretty day when those let go

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Gave a 2007 away at 107k - now at 160k trouble free. I changed trans, rear end fluids at 70k and the timing belt at 100k...really need to know if it' got a timing belt at 200k ... not a pretty day when those let go

The C has the 5.7L HEMI, which is a pushrod motor with a short chain.

The Hemi has a chain...I thought the 3.5 did, also. (A 2005 C should be a Hemi; the six was the Touring.)

General LX stuff...the Hemis call for plugs at, IIRC, 35K. (There are 16.) Trans fluid is supposed to be changed at 60K.

Many have an issue with pulsing brakes...the best fix I have heard of is a set of slotted front rotors.

I thought this was going to be a good thread... Anyway, I test drove one in similar age and miles as the OP. The front end pounded the pavement as if it was about to fall off. Other than that, it was a real nice ride. Seems to correspond to the suggestion that the front ends may need work.

On the other hand if it all feels solid and quiet, maybe the work was already done. ;-)

Originally Posted By: crw
I thought this was going to be a good thread... Anyway, I test drove one in similar age and miles as the OP. The front end pounded the pavement as if it was about to fall off. Other than that, it was a real nice ride. Seems to correspond to the suggestion that the front ends may need work.

On the other hand if it all feels solid and quiet, maybe the work was already done. ;-)

Yes, if the front end has issues, it will be readily apparent.

The Hemi has a chain...I thought the 3.5 did, also.

No, the 3.5L (along with its 3.2L and 4.0L cousins) has a timing belt. The 2.7L has a timing chain.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Originally Posted By: bigjl
The only real problems they had in the UK was relating to running costs.

More than a few were used for Exec Private Hire.

Running costs killed them off though as Chrysler dealers were expensive and service intervals fairly short. And fuel economy was not as good as the competition which was a shame as they have real presence on the road.

I wonder what powertrains were offered in the UK?

From memory it was a 3.5v6 petrol engine, a 3.0 Mercedes Diesel engine and a V8.

There was an estate and saloon version.

We never got the 2.7 petrol that i think you got in NA.

The 3.0 petrol didn't sell very well and very soon it was just the 3.0 diesel and a small number of Hemi V8s being sold.

Underneath it was a previous generation Mercedes platform, entire floorpan and suspension if I remember correctly. I have always liked them, my next door neighbour actually has one with the diesel limo coincidentally.

They do seem to keep their value as they were pretty rare.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back