US vs EU service manual oil viscosity differences on same engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 Mitsubishi outlander with the na 2.4L 4b12 and it calls only for 0w-20 which I use but I notice the engine is a bit loud and doesn't sound healthy. I paid for it in full since I got it stupid cheap new since the dealership was closing out and was very attracted to the warranty but I still want it to live a long life.

I downloaded the Portuguese manual of the exact same model, engine variant, and year because I remembered reading somewhere that European engines use thicker oil than the US ones although they're exactly the same engine. I checked the section and saw that the 4b12 uses 0w-20 to 5w-40. I was delighted to see my engine could use thicker oil. I am weary to do so because I think the US version of the 4b12 has the vvt tuned and optimized to use only 0w-20 and only that and I don't know if the solenoids and computer will like thicker oil.

Amazingly in all service guides Mitsubishi is very very conservative and demands 3,750m/6km or 3 month full synthetic oil and filter changes since i guess they don't want the engine to fail because they have a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Nonetheless I change the Pennzoil platinum and stp extended at every year or 10k whichever first and I rack up 6-7k a year.

Is it safe for me to use thicker oil in a US engine when the exact same engine in Europe does. For any Europeans reading this what oil viscosity and grades are most common or normal.

in Texas i would use any fake full synthetic 10-30 + feel better for it

Use the PAO-based M1 EP 0W-20 as I do and never have a single worry.

The recommended viscosities in my owner's manual are 10W-30 through 20W-50. I've used 0W-20 through 15W-40. Thinner the oil, better it runs and sounds.

Originally Posted by JavierH19
Hello everyone, I have a 2016 Mitsubishi outlander with the na 2.4L 4b12 and it calls only for 0w-20 which I use but I notice the engine is a bit loud and doesn't sound healthy. I paid for it in full since I got it stupid cheap new since the dealership was closing out and was very attracted to the warranty but I still want it to live a long life.

I downloaded the Portuguese manual of the exact same model, engine variant, and year because I remembered reading somewhere that European engines use thicker oil than the US ones although they're exactly the same engine. I checked the section and saw that the 4b12 uses 0w-20 to 5w-40. I was delighted to see my engine could use thicker oil. I then sadly remembered the US and their overly tough emissions Gestapo has all the manufacturers by the balls with a knife. I am weary to do so because I think the US version of the 4b12 has the vvt tuned and optimized to use only 0w-20 and only that and I don't know if the solenoids and computer will like thicker oil.

Amazingly in all service guides Mitsubishi is very very conservative and demands 3,750m/6km or 3 month full synthetic oil and filter changes since i guess they don't want the engine to fail because they have a 10yr/100,000 mile warranty. Nonetheless I change the Pennzoil platinum and stp extended at every year or 10k whichever first and I rack up 6-7k a year.

Is it safe for me to use thicker oil in a US engine when the exact same engine in Europe does. For any Europeans reading this what oil viscosity and grades are most common or normal.

What a very crude post what does Portuguese driving conditions and habits have in common with the US?

Similar temperatures, same engine, no CAFE. Personally if they allow a 5w40 I would run 5w30 or 0w40 in this engine, a cold 0w20 is thicker than hot 0w40, the VVT system couldn't care less.

Last edited:
Is there any difference in cold starting with a 5 or 10w oil in 35f south Texas winters.

Last edited:
Alright thank you everyone. I just worry about the electrical annoying bits these days since I'm no tech head with newer cars. I live in cypress TX and the coldest it was this year was around 2c or 35f so I think i could get away even with 10w30 in winter. I think I'll use 5w-30 to see if it makes a difference in smoothness.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Trav
Similar temperatures, same engine, no CAFE. Personally if they allow a 5w40 I would run 5w30 or 0w40 in this engine, a cold 0w20 is thicker than hot 0w40, the VVT system couldn't care less.

Where is the car driven city driving for 15 minutes then shut off for hours the majority of the time or is the majority at near WOT for hours?

Originally Posted by JavierH19
Is there any difference in cold starting with a 5 or 10w oil in 35f south Texas winters.
Some difference, but not enough to matter very much. 10W-X0 has been used successfully at much colder temperatures.

Originally Posted by csandste
Think any good 5-30 would do you just fine.

That's what I'd use.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Use the PAO-based M1 EP 0W-20 as I do and never have a single worry.

The recommended viscosities in my owner's manual are 10W-30 through 20W-50. I've used 0W-20 through 15W-40. Thinner the oil, better it runs and sounds.

I wonder if the M1 EP 0W20 and 5W20 have the same exact chemistries?

In Australia, for that car ( 2016 Mitsubishi Outlander with 2.4 L) they say to use: 5W30 or 0W40 or 5W40

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I wonder if the M1 EP 0W20 and 5W20 have the same exact chemistries?

No, M1 EP 5W-20 has less than half the PAO M1 EP 0W-20 has according to the MSDSs.

I'm European (albeit maybe not for much longer if the nutters get their way!) & I have 0W20 in my engine.

I've used 0W20 since 2006 when I made a Chinese copy of the Daihatsu factory-fill oil. For normal cars, driven normally, by normal people, 0W20 is fine. It really is!

In New Zealand they recommend 5w-30, and Mitsubishi supply their own oil, which is Castrol Edge, A3/B4. 15,000km or 12 month services.

Originally Posted by SonofJoe
For normal cars, driven normally, by normal people, 0W20 is fine. It really is!

I'm sure you are correct, and one day I will get to it. It's good to know that I can.

But right now for me Shell Helix Ultra 0W20 costs $90 for 5L, and a mere $70 when on discount sale. I can also find Magnatec 0W20 for $60. You get the idea.

However, GTX 15W40 UltraClean costs $40 for 5L (full price), and I picked mine up on sale for $15 even. I got a couple at that price, so I'm running GTX 15W40 right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back