US to become world’s largest oil exporter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Shannow
SubLGT said:
Oz signed contracts to sell all of our natural gas, with no domestic reserves, with all the anlysis showing that it would lead to higher gas wholesale prices (it did, going from $4/GJ to $12 - household gas prices mean that it would be cheaper to heat the house with unleaded -

Sounds like our dairy industry - you can buy our milk in OZ cheaper than we get it here. They explain it all like we are children, but like children, we still don't understand why we pay more for our own product than it sells for in the rest of the world.

As someone who has been around for many decades, I find it interesting about how trends, pronouncements, conclusions, and predictions of future dire consequences come and go.

When was it, 10 to 15 years ago that the experts predicted a bleak energy future as we had already reached "peak oil". They had the charts and graphs and mathematical models in place to forecast that future oil supplies from that point forward would drop, possibly dramatically and we would be facing a future that required us to significantly reduce the amount of energy we consumed due to the lack of oil. There were great debates about that topic.

Haven't heard much from those idiots much in recent years. I suspect they are the ones talking about dire consequences due to the climate. I may not make it to see those results, but I know which way I am betting. Humans always seem to figure out a way forward, despite the doomsayer's predictions.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Great topic and may I ask how much oil, etc Canada consumes? Excuse my ignorance but i like learning and your posts
smile.gif

Sorry, I didn't check back on this. Canada consumes about 1.5 million bbls per day. We produce about 2 million bbls per day of refined product and export about 500,000 bbls per day. Most of the exported product moves from the east coast of Canada to the NE coast of the USA.

Canadian crude oil supplies all the western provinces, Ontario and about 1/2 of Quebec. The pipeline from western Canada ends at Montreal. The crude oil for the other half of Quebec and all the Eastern provinces is imported. Western Canada would like to run a pipeline all the way to the east cost but there is a lot of pushback from Quebec. Too political to go into.

Alberta would also like to expand the Trans Mountain pipeline that runs from Edmonton to Vancouver but there is significant push back from environmental and native groups. Currently we export one tanker load of crude oil to California each week.

Factoid: A lot of light oil that originates in North Dakota is railed to Albany, New York, loaded onto oil tankers and is shipped down the Hudson River, past New York City where it turns and heads north to New Brunswick where it is refined at the Irving Refinery. Then, a lot of product is delivered back to the USA and eastern Canada.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back