Largest cities in the world 2050 (projection)

The California migration started in the 70’s into Washington. It has accelerated since.
Sure it has....right after the "C" thing and remote work.

BTW-it's not just Californians-
So where are people moving to and from? In the report, California (13.8 percent), Texas (11.9 percent), and Florida (8.71 percent) were the top three states welcoming former Washingtonians. Funnily enough, new transplants to the Evergreen State are coming from those same three areas: California (25.91 percent), Texas (10.41 percent), and Florida (4.73 percent).

Sure it has....right after the "C" thing and remote work.

BTW-it's not just Californians-
So where are people moving to and from? In the report, California (13.8 percent), Texas (11.9 percent), and Florida (8.71 percent) were the top three states welcoming former Washingtonians. Funnily enough, new transplants to the Evergreen State are coming from those same three areas: California (25.91 percent), Texas (10.41 percent), and Florida (4.73 percent).

And now you know why native Washingtonians are leaving. It has become a cesspool of crime here. I am in the process of leaving myself.

Our inner suburb is being infested by infill housing. Small older single-storey homes on 50' lots are being torn down and replaced by two 2-storey duplexes.

The residents hate this trend.

The city loves it - 4x the tax revenue from the same frontage.
My town had that happen 20-30 years ago and gave grants to undo it maybe a decade ago. They didn’t tear down, just converted homes to two family/duplex type.

Problem isn’t the city. It’s the woke folks who see every road as racist, every single family home as privileged, and wants to change it to their communist utopia…

Last edited:
And now you know why native Washingtonians are leaving. It has become a cesspool of crime here. I am in the process of leaving myself.
Going from Washington to California under the auspices of escaping crime is nonsensical......

Interesting study of the largest cities in the world in 2050 (projection).

The US will only have two of the top 50 cities in the world (population), New York City and Los Angelos. In 1950, the US had three cities in the top ten (NYC, Chicago, LA). In North America, Mexico City has seen massive growth, and that is a understatement.

Amazed at the growth of cities/population in Asia and Africa.

My takeaway- land is everything, "buy land and all you can young man". There will be major global conflicts to compete for basic necessities. The US will likely have mass immigration from Asia and Africa to utilize the USA's open land and make up shortfalls in entitlement funding by generating new people to pay into social security, Medicare, etc. in 2100, the USA will have a massive shift in its demographics and its core values. The open, farmable land and fresh water is what will bring the global masses to migrate to the USA in 2100.

This video is interesting to watch to get a visual of city population from 1950 to present:

Oh good no cities near me or any place I might want to move to! 🤣

Just my $0.02

I am not sure your point.

Not sure your point. Did your little pandemic group have more children due to covid?
somewhat obvious - a response to what I quoted...
that cities fair better during/after armageddon (they dont).
sorry - nuttin ta do wid BR.
AND
I C ur point, BR goes down during/after
(same wid all da animals, well... trees, ... etc)

Just hope that there's no school age children living there. That eats up the tax revenue.

Or maybe the city doesn't care since the schools are a separate taxing authority. However, the voters might figure out.
We have a strange system here, but are moving away from it. For many years, our property taxes made up a large part of the public school system's funding. My property taxes were almost double what they would otherwise be without the education levy.

However, the provincial government has decided that education should be funded out of general revenue, and so is issuing large rebates against the taxes levied. I received a rebate of over $1000. Eventually (unless the next provincial government changes course), the education levy on property taxes will be phased out entirely.

We have a strange system here, but are moving away from it. For many years, our property taxes made up a large part of the public school system's funding. My property taxes were almost double what they would otherwise be without the education levy.

However, the provincial government has decided that education should be funded out of general revenue, and so is issuing large rebates against the taxes levied. I received a rebate of over $1000. Eventually (unless the next provincial government changes course), the education levy on property taxes will be phased out entirely.

In most if not all jurisdictions in the USA, property taxes provide the majority of funding for public schools. Virginia has something they call the "local composite index" which is a calculation used to determine how much extra public school funding the state (if any) the state will provide the cities and counties in the state, with the less prosperous cities and counties getting more funding from the state. This extra funding comes from state revenue sources such as income tax. (The state does not collect any property taxes).

I don't know if other states have a funding scheme like this or if it's unique to Virginia. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if it's a result of a court order resulting from Virginia's shenanigans with "massive resistance" and "separate but equal" and other bad ideas.

In most if not all jurisdictions in the USA, property taxes provide the majority of funding for public schools. Virginia has something they call the "local composite index" which is a calculation used to determine how much extra public school funding the state (if any) the state will provide the cities and counties in the state, with the less prosperous cities and counties getting more funding from the state. This extra funding comes from state revenue sources such as income tax. (The state does not collect any property taxes).

I don't know if other states have a funding scheme like this or if it's unique to Virginia. Wouldn't be one bit surprised if it's a result of a court order resulting from Virginia's shenanigans with "massive resistance" and "separate but equal" and other bad ideas.

South Carolina as usual is a bloody mess.

Back in the 70's they decided to exempt owner occupied housing from paying the school levy - they added a 1 % additional state sales tax and some other things. Local commercial and rental resedential still pay school taxes to the county. The state then offsets this by sending money back to the districts. But of course its simply an excuse to have all kind of special programs and as usual the best funded districts have the worst outcomes.

For example, in my county there are 2 districts - and realize my county is not very big. The district I live in spends just over $13K per student (local, state and fed funding combined) which is almost the lowest in the state. It is ranked 17th out of 82 districts - not bad, but I guess not great, there are some good and some not so good schools. The other district in my county spends almost $21K per student -mostly from the state and fed not local, and is ranked 57th out of 81. So 60% more money, 3X worse performance?

The absolute worst districts in our state get over $25K per student, have forever, and it does no good.

Throwing money at it hasn't solved the problem. Parents that read to their kids, feed them, and send them to bed on time solves the problem.

Look at Portland, Oregon. It is yet another example. Law enforcement in that city has been all but non existent since early last Summer. Gangs of thugs smashed, looted, and burned businesses in the downtown district with total impunity.

Many of those were family owned businesses that were there for decades. These people's livelihoods were completely destroyed, with absolutely no price to be paid by the animals who destroyed them.... (Mostly ANTIFA).

Does anyone with an ounce of brains think when these people collect anything from their insurance, they will be foolish enough to reinvest it there rebuilding? Only to risk having the same exact thing can happen yet again?

They'll be headed out of town with their cash faster than if they were shot in the rear with rock salt out of a 12 gauge.

The California migration started in the 70’s into Washington. It has accelerated since.
CA people moving here raised the housing prices which is a good thing if you own one. However, it makes it tougher for people who don't own one or those planning on staying because the real estate taxes keeps going up ...

Not bad if you are planning on selling and moving to a smaller town and/or a cheaper state and can pull out some equity.

I think once the Fed starts lowering the interest rates (some argue at least a year away), the housing prices will take off again. There's still a huge gap between CA and WA when it comes to home prices. Add the increasing cost and shortage of labor and future home prices in WA is one way up as long as CA has more rich people to offer. lol

somewhat obvious - a response to what I quoted...
that cities fair better during/after armageddon (they dont).
sorry - nuttin ta do wid BR.
AND
I C ur point, BR goes down during/after
(same wid all da animals, well... trees, ... etc)
Your point would be much more obvious if you didn't abbreviate every other word and constantly use "text speak". Seriously, I can't understand most of what you write sometimes. I'm not the first who has made this kind of comment.

Back