US POSTAL SERVICE INCOMPETENCE

I thought the USPS was using contractors to sometimes deliver mail ?

At least here, the regular carriers aren't getting signatures on "signature required" packages anymore.

A few weeks ago, I had a few packages arrive on the same day. One was an express mail package with some fairly valuable contents(insured $1K) and the other were my wife's and my passports, arriving surprisingly early.

In any case, imagine my surprise when I got a knock at the door late in the afternoon, and the postmaster was standing there with her personal vehicle parked in front of the house. She hand-delivered the 3 packages to me and got a signature on them...

I get a piece of mail for a neighbor once in a while. 99.9% of the time the UPS does a great job.
My mailman is a great guy. Even helps me move heavy stuff if he happens to be there.
Tells me funny stories about his wife and his girlfriend.

Everyone messes up sometimes.
I am having trouble with a UPS delivery right now. Turns out I had the wrong address. Yup.

Postal service workers Ive come into contact with lately have been apathetic at best, and rude and condescending at worst.

What’s their incentive to do a good job? They seem to have an entitled attitude.

Never had a problem with with. Maybe you're talking 1 out of 1 billion pieces of mail. Statistically, it's irrelevant. I know it's a PIA, but most of the time they're accurate.

My dad has a subscription to get silver coins from the US Mint. He's had multiple packages now show scanned at our local post office then either get lost, or get opened have the coins removed then sealed back up and delivered... He's not a fan of USPS right now either.

my parents, who've never missed or been late on payments for ANYTHING, recently had 2 payments for the same CC get lost enroute to the payment processor.

they ended up making a phone payment, to pay off the card ( a whole $130) and are no longer using that particular CC.

the straw that broke the camel's back was when VZW shut off mom's phone b/c the card was declined.

nearest branch of said bank is 45ish min drive away, or they would have gone and paid it in person.

they've had that account for 20+yrs, never a problem, suddenly they're getting letters and late payment notices saying the check they mailed in a month ago never arrived. twice.

their bank talked them out of stopping payment on those 2 checks, ($35/check) b/c "no one else can deposit it anyway"...

Might be, but the many mail complaints started not long after he was installed. You didn't leave mail on the dock just so USPS wouldn't have to pay OT to the truck drivers. The mail sorting machines taken out out to "make it more efficient" was BS too.
it never had anything to do with OT... if they leave without the load, they still get paid for the trip, and then another trip and more billable miles to get that same mail. or maybe 2 trucks since there's twice as much mail.
wanna guess what company Mr. DeJoy ran before the USPS?

it never had anything to do with OT... if they leave without the load, they still get paid for the trip, and then another trip and more billable miles to get that same mail. or maybe 2 trucks since there's twice as much mail.
wanna guess what company Mr. DeJoy ran before the USPS?
Then why were the USPS truck drivers saying loads of mail were left on the docks to avoid OT??? That's what was being reported.

Never pay your rent with cash, even if you trust the person. Always have a paper trail with proof. If you’re going to hand deliver your rent, then hand deliver the check.

Never pay your rent with cash, even if you trust the person. Always have a paper trail with proof. If you’re going to hand deliver your rent, then hand deliver the check.
I take everything, cash, check, money orders. Even Venmo now. One day Venmo will probably whack me with fees and then I'll stop using them. When I take cash, I usually write a receipt or I text the person that I got the rent for that month. Electronic communication like text, email is legally binding in my state so it's fine to use.

I notice that people are extra testy lately. Road rage and people yelling at cashiers in stores. The fear being pushed by the media doesn't help.
It's the internet. We find like minded people and we all tell stories about how people stepped on their lawns.

Usually I don't have mail problem more than UPS / FedEx. They usually will have the same guy here for years so they know our address is flipped with another neighbor and they know which number mailbox to put in. They don't just bounce back to the sender and say "invalid address" when their coworker just send 2/3 of the package yesterday with no problem.

Biggest problem these days are porch pirates though. They raid all the packages and mail regardless it is UPS USPS FedEx or Amazon.

Same thing happened to me. I used a mailbox which I normally don’t use and it was March 2020 so perhaps all that was related.

Received a notice and immediately called them. They ended up receiving the check about 2 weeks late.

I dont think the Postal Service has gone downhill as much as social media has amplified everytime a letter or package gets lost.
Easy to trash a business without a reply and social media (which is also forums).

Case in point the post above about GA Power coming 3 days before its due, do all your other bills come like that? 3 days before they are due?
Maybe its the good old power company causing the issue.
My mail is great coming or going out. With that said, guess what? My water bill comes 3 days before its due but I know its not the post office because everything else is fine and all other bills come on time. Its not a perfect world, stuff happens, I just thing everything now is so blown out of portion because its so easy to go online and complain.

As far as paying bills. We PAY EVERYTHING electronically through our online bank account and stuff that is a constant monthly payment we simply program in a once a month payment to whomever is due the money that goes out automatically.
For the OP its the perfect solution, have your online bank account send out a once a month payment to your landlord.

BY far I hear WAY more complaints about Amazon and UPS deliveries in my community. Its almost laughable packages that get delivered to the wrong address or right address wrong street. This is not the USPS who does this but Amazon and UPS.

We never had a problem with getting a package but our community website almost on a weekly basis is asking if someone got a package that should have been delivered to them and 99% percent of the time, its someone on another block who has it and brings it over.
Again, Social Media amplifying the issue but I do believe Amazon home delivery and UPS messes up more based on posts in that social media. I rarely if ever see a complaint about the USPS.

Last edited:
For the most part, USPS is fine by me. My mailing address is a town of 600, where everyone knows everyone, and I know all the postal workers. But here’s one that gets me: You should be able to walk into the post office at 8:30 in the morning, hand the postmaster a letter before the incoming mail is sorted and expect it to be delivered that day, right? No. The letter goes into the outgoing mail pile where it gets picked up in the afternoon, gets taken all the way across the state to be sorted (3 hours away), gets sorted, gets put back on the truck to be brought back to my town (another 3 hour trip), is in the incoming mail pile where the mail then has to be sorted into each compartment so the mail carrier can deliver it to each address.
In reality, if you give an envelope to the postmaster at 8:30 in the morning to be delivered to a local address, that person will get your envelope 2-3 days later and it will have a post mark on it from the city that is 3 hours away. Some efficiency.

my parents, who've never missed or been late on payments for ANYTHING, recently had 2 payments for the same CC get lost enroute to the payment processor.

they ended up making a phone payment, to pay off the card ( a whole $130) and are no longer using that particular CC.

the straw that broke the camel's back was when VZW shut off mom's phone b/c the card was declined.

nearest branch of said bank is 45ish min drive away, or they would have gone and paid it in person.

they've had that account for 20+yrs, never a problem, suddenly they're getting letters and late payment notices saying the check they mailed in a month ago never arrived. twice.

their bank talked them out of stopping payment on those 2 checks, ($35/check) b/c "no one else can deposit it anyway"...
I had that happen twice, with two different cards, earlier this year. The only commonality between them was that the PO Box was in Louisville, KY, so I suspect that the problem was the PO there.

Your parents' issue isn't with a bank that goes by 3 letters and the first one is 'P', is it? They recently moved their processing center to PA and I've had two payments take forever to get there and post to my account - one taking almost 6 weeks from the date I mailed payment. I suspect that this problem may be with the processing center because I checked the account on Friday (the 10th), still no payment, and yesterday I received the "we've received your payment" e-mail which claimed that they posted the payment on the 3rd. I signed in, and sure enough, it shows payment posting on the 3rd, but I am positive that posting wasn't there when I checked on Friday.

Last edited:
Back