US POSTAL SERVICE INCOMPETENCE

fwiw, i’ve experienced postal services around the world. one of my measures of a country’s worth is the quality of its postal service. usps sure beats canada post, but that’s not saying much.

as for making recurring, regular, set payments, most banks and credit unions offer bill pay by mail: they create and mail a paper check drawn on your account but mailed by them on a date that you specify (i choose ten days before due date, just to be sure of on time delivery). you get a paper trail and someone at your bank or c.u. to lean on if something goes wrong. the bank or c.u. pays postage, puts check into envelope and drops into mail consistently on time.

I actually had to use them to mail a very large cashier's check (to pay off my mortgage), so I had it mailed certified. It was delivered, but I was sweating bullets waiting for it to get there...I just don't trust USPS anymore, I've seen too many packages lost by them...

So officially, is the USPS a government organization, or a private company? It seems like they claim whichever is the most convenient for them to accomplish what they're looking to accomplish at any given time...

i too have had "lost" packages, mail ..i get other peoples mail that aren't even close to where i live...last week i checked into a package that was mailed out ,made it to the local post office but was never delivered,,(tracking number ) i checked into it and yeah the package was there but no contents...they said it arrived that way...i guess if i didn't check into it they would never have contacted me about it..the postal service is going downhill at least locally

Simple answer. They don't give a 💩. Their actions, lack of action, and general attitude proves it.
I have noticed the carries seem to be pleasant and enjoy their jobs. OTOH, the people working at the offices seem to have the attitude you mentioned...

Never pay your rent with cash, even if you trust the person. Always have a paper trail with proof. If you’re going to hand deliver your rent, then hand deliver the check.
Sorry, I give my landlord cash as in putting it in his disguised safe box on his hidden back porch

Postal Service went down hill when a new Post Master was installed June 2020.
I know several uspa retired workers. One was a Postmaster. They are from an era when they cared and took pride in their jobs. They are convinced that this new PM is sabatoging the usps in hopes that UPS or Fedex will take it over. I don't understand why those two would even be interested. Think what it would take to fix the usps.

I have wanted to pull my hair out over PO ineptitude.

*I routinely get mail for many people who don't live here or haven't lived here ever or for a very long time, and I assume at some point those people must have filed a change of address. So not only do I get to sort my own junk mail, which is about 80% of the mail, but I am responsbile for forwarding the mail of 10 people to them.... I keep a pen in my mailbox for "return to sender" or "wrong address."

*They have so royally screwed up my own forwarding mail. I have what should be a simple forwarding set up, from a couple different locations to me. I'm in the process of recently moving. It's a total mess. I've spent probably 20 hours of headache and aggravation on trying to fix the problem.

* I have got sensitive mail for neighbors. Stuff that looks like bills, medical information, etc. I always track down the neighbor and give to them or return to sender. However, an unscrupulous person could steal and open that mail. I hate the thought that my neighbors might get my bills in the mail or my hospital records and open them. :( Account numbers, financial information, bank stuff, etc.

The PO USPS is one of the worst run and managed ... if it's important the USPS is probably not the right carrier.

So PENNDOT called me Friday; surprised my PA EMISSIONS LICENSE I paid $94.99 for has NOT made it to me yet. I said “thank that lovely US POSTAL SERVICE for that”. They are going to FED EX it to me ASAP

For the most part, USPS is fine by me. My mailing address is a town of 600, where everyone knows everyone, and I know all the postal workers. But here’s one that gets me: You should be able to walk into the post office at 8:30 in the morning, hand the postmaster a letter before the incoming mail is sorted and expect it to be delivered that day, right? No. The letter goes into the outgoing mail pile where it gets picked up in the afternoon, gets taken all the way across the state to be sorted (3 hours away), gets sorted, gets put back on the truck to be brought back to my town (another 3 hour trip), is in the incoming mail pile where the mail then has to be sorted into each compartment so the mail carrier can deliver it to each address.
In reality, if you give an envelope to the postmaster at 8:30 in the morning to be delivered to a local address, that person will get your envelope 2-3 days later and it will have a post mark on it from the city that is 3 hours away. Some efficiency.
Small town, right? If your post office doesn't have a mail drop for "Local Mail Only, it certainly should have one. If not, ask the postmaster to hand cancel your local letter so it stays in town for same day or next day delivery. If the PM won't do that, he (she) is a slug. One exception is if your local post office has no mail carriers, and they are located at another post office. That could explain why "local" outgoing mail goes to a large distribution center.

It is really hit or miss with the postal service. Two weeks ago I sent mail from northern Maryland to a remote area south of Roanoke Va. Mailed on Friday and they got it on Monday.

Way back on August 29th, I put rent check in mail. Fast forward to this pst Wednesday; landlord (known him for 27 years and worked for him part time) says he has t got rent from me. We both went to post office that day. It was either lost, stolen or 🤔🤔🤔🤔. Went to my bank, cancelled the check, got cash out and paid landlord. From now on I will go to his farm/house and hand deliver it to him.

I also haven’t received my PA Emissions Inspector license I recertified for last month. 🤬🤬🤬

What is up with the US Postal Service??

rant over
That would be a normal occurrence in my area. I get other people's mail sometimes more than I get my own.

We've noticed some long delivery times with a few items "lost" in the last year as well. We have all of our utilities and such set up to pay online, so we don't use the USPS for anything anymore if avoidable.

I had that happen twice, with two different cards, earlier this year. The only commonality between them was that the PO Box was in Louisville, KY, so I suspect that the problem was the PO there.

Your parents' issue isn't with a bank that goes by 3 letters and the first one is 'P', is it? They recently moved their processing center to PA and I've had two payments take forever to get there and post to my account - one taking almost 6 weeks from the date I mailed payment. I suspect that this problem may be with the processing center because I checked the account on Friday (the 10th), still no payment, and yesterday I received the "we've received your payment" e-mail which claimed that they posted the payment on the 3rd. I signed in, and sure enough, it shows payment posting on the 3rd, but I am positive that posting wasn't there when I checked on Friday.
PNC bank! of course when they got the account it was with National City Bank, but they got bought out by PNC...
it irks me, because they, PNC, are my regular bank.
of course, they were National City when I signed up... and I lived in a town with one of their branches on seemingly every other corner.
moved back home... 45 min drive to nearest branch...
but in the ensuing 16 years, I've NEVER had an issue with them, or had a reason to switch banks.... I just Live in a Podunk part of the country....
(though really, in my job as a cashier, the number of PNC debit cards and PNC Checks I see from locals...it amazes me they haven't put in a branch up here....)

Sorry, I give my landlord cash as in putting it in his disguised safe box on his hidden back porch
I've NEVER mailed a rent payment.
Now, I've not HAD to pay rent for the last 16 years....
but the 2 years before that, I had 2 different units with the Same Management Company.
The First one, a prefab studio, his office was a 1 BR unit in the same Complex, I drove past it coming and going, and the mailboxes for the Complex were right outside his office.
the second was a Townhouse 8 miles a way, but same management.
I ALWAYS paid him with a Money order, and put it through the mail slot in the office Door. usually late at night, cuz I got off work around Midnight.
even when i didn't live in that Complex, I paid that way, as it was only 2 mi or so from my work.
heck sometimes I would still go down there and use that complex's launderette. (4 washers, 4 dryers, a change machine, and a pop machine do not a laundromat make.)

Back