Updated M1 FS 0w-40 - More PAO

Hey all...

Looks like M1(Canada) changed the SDS info this OCT 2021 for there 5W20

What the heck is the item in yellow? PAO? ESTER? GIII ????...

Thank you all..

1637112898895.jpg

I hadn't noticed it and clearly nobody else thought it might warrant some further SDS investigation to find something a bit more current than 2019.
What confuses me is the -42 pour point in sds yet pds is -60. Mobil has quite a few products with differences in pour points in sds and pds

qsud euro 5w40 is still around.

castrol edge 0w40, however old it may be, is the obvious winner after the extreme m1 price hike.
Mobil 1 5W-40 is still only 22.37, for whatever reason walmart forget to take it off rebate. I'm sure the Mobil1 will go back on rollback next spring, it was like $27 two years ago when I got 6 of them for the price of one on a pricing error.

I hadn't noticed it and clearly nobody else thought it might warrant some further SDS investigation to find something a bit more current than 2019.
I didn’t look as PDS was same as before. So didn’t expect changes there. I honestly couldn’t remember pour point in those years. I know VISOM version had pretty mediocre pour point for 0W40 oil of -45c. -60 is obvious indication of bunch of PAO and probably some esters.

What confuses me is the -42 pour point in sds yet pds is -60. Mobil has quite a few products with differences in pour points in sds and pds

I pointed out in the OP that the SDS with a pour point of -42C is from 2019. The newer SDS sheets, with the higher PAO levels, both just show <-40C, so below -40C, suitably vague for an SDS and an allowance for the current -60C figure in the PDS.

-42 is also nothing to be proud of. I think this oil had much lower pour point when it hit shelves in 2015. Ig could be batch that had mostly GrIII bcs. logistics.
I agree, -42 was pretty mediocre. My takeaway from the new SDS and updated PDS that shows -60C is that this change corresponds with the increase in PAO content.

Good catch.

Just don't be surprised when someone comes on here and accuse you of being a fanboy and how all the OA says Mobil 1 suck etc.

Lol. Overkill is immunized against that loooooooong time ago.

For him to be here since 2008 and with a post count of 47,896 to date, he HAS to be immune to the mob or he must really, really, REALLY, like motor oil. :)

For him to be here since 2008 and with a post count of 47,896 to date, he HAS to be immune to the mob or he must really, really, REALLY, like motor oil. :)
I just like talking car and technical stuff. Yes, a lot of it is oil related, but I've got several threads on nuclear power in the G& OT section, a few tech threads in the comp section...etc.

Back