Update: more audio upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how many on here are big car audio nuts, but I realized I forgot to share the updates to the audio system in my Volt. The original thread is here:

Upgraded the audio in the Volt

The Alpine amplifier is still doing an amazing job, I'm constantly impressed at how loud and clean it can play, based on it's relatively modest power output. I've occasionally heard some minor clipping, but only when I'm truly abusing it.

As I mentioned in my (year and a half old) OP, the factory tweeters were having absolutely none of the new-found power and range. They were shrill, distorted long before the door speakers even started to shine, and generally detracted from the listening experience. I identified the stock crossover point of the factory tweeter by reading the value of the capacitor attached to the factory tweeter. It was ~5,500 hz, much too high for what my mid's are capable of. I continued the theme of trying to keep everything as plug and play as possible, although I did sacrifice the factory tweeters in the process. Here's the final result:

I started by removing the factory tweeter from the A-pillar, and removing the plastic grille/cover from the tweeter body. I needed the grill as a spacer, as the Dayton tweeter has a larger dome and wouldn't clear the outer grille on the A-pillar trim.

[Linked Image]

Then, I clipped the spacer back into the A-pillar. The original locking tabs keep it in place.

[Linked Image]

For reference, this is the original tweeter after it's been stripped of it's grille and rear housing/connector.

[Linked Image]

Here's how it looks all finished up. I hot glued everything, and used the factory rear connector from the original tweeter as a tap. Again, all plug and play! I used a 12 microfarad cap to lower the crossover point of the tweeter.

[Linked Image]

Up close look at the finished product.

[Linked Image]

The Pyle mid-range speakers I originally installed weren't cutting it for me, so those got chucked and replaced with these:

[Linked Image]

I can't for the life of me remember what the brand and model of the mid's are, however they weren't expensive. The tweeters are Dayton Audio ND25FN-4, all of $14 each on parts express. I'm very satisfied with the result, which when paired with my single Image Dynamics IDQ 12" subwoofer and 900W Elemental Designs Nine.1 produces more than enough quality sound for a small hatchback. Thanks for looking!

Looks good!

Once you're satisfied with the changes, you may want to use some silicone instead of hot glue. It doesn't usually get hot enough in a car's cabin to melt it, but it can definitely soften it.

One of my tweeters was mounted with hot glue to it's bracket, and after awhile I saw it drooping and not pointing out the grille. Still meaning to go back and fix that...

Fun with audio. I did this in home and band systems decades ago.

If you want more power handling from the tweeter, you may want to go to a 2nd order crossover adding an inductor shunt along with the series cap.
At this point you will need to move the component back to the amp - or breadboard near the amp where you can play with polarity and then you could use a better polypropylene plastic cap on the tweeters and midrange shunts.

I also imagine now there would be some apps ( programs as we used to call them) for phones or laptops for FFT response extraction

for fine tuning.

Have fun.. I don't have HF hearing anymore. but I still enjoy the bass through upper midrange I can still hear.

Last edited:
Looks good.

Old man speaking here. Take care if your hearing. your system sound similar to the one I had in the 90s and I cranked that thing all the time. Now 30 years later my ears never stop ringing LOUD. The prospect of getting hearing aids urks me when my EMT tries to sell me $1500/ear hearing aids. If you like the bass feel in your chest when listening to music, I suggest some ear plugs. There are some audio grade ones the band members use that cut the sound down but keep it fairly balanced.

I think of it like sound deadening headphones. The plugs reduce the road and engine noise but the stereo can crank through and give me a good sound level with some UMPH.

All the while I'm not killing whats left of my hearing ability.

I'll tell ya if I cold go back and do it again I would have bought the earplugs long ago. Saying HUH? a million times a day is miserable.

You can get hearing aids that work well for under 500 a pair.

I havent made that jump yet.

If your hearing is shot above 5Khz no EQ will bring it back.

Play with the EQ on you computer listing to music and see what I mean.

So digital and Audiologist is mainly a scam.

Microcircuits are cheap now., aid should be cheaper and you should be able to program the dynamic compression and gain of a hearing yourself. But the big money grab goes on.

Now can you tell me why :

all the cashiers girls mumble and slur their words?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back