UOA Mailing Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you folks mailing your samples to Blackstone?

I mailed my first sample by attaching a label and dropping it in the box inside the post office. It has been two weeks and I have yet to hear anything.

Someone once said on here that I should put it inside a box and mail it, and that is starting to sound like the better choice.

Originally Posted By: Apollo14
I put 3 samples into a priority mail padded envelope.

There you go. Having lost some samples in the mail, a couple years ago I started sending all samples priority mail and tracking them. You can either get an appropriate envelope at the post office or use your own box and get it sent priority.

It's worth it....trust me. I've sent twelve samples to Blackstone and all but one were tested and reported the day they received it. The other took four days which is still good.

I always print the post office letter that Blackstone provides, and send it along as well, just in case some overzealous employee decided he wants to eradicate my "hazardous materials".

I tried to mail out a sample back in March, and the post office simply lost it. From now on just going to stick it in a flat rate box and send it priority.

Last edited:
I guess I have been lucky, Ever had an issue with getting the package there.

The first 5 times or so I sent samples to Blackstone, I packed them inside small boxes and shipped them Priority Mail. They got there in about 2-3 days.

This last time, I simply mailed the black plastic container by itself on a Thursday via First Class. The guy at the counter said should be there on Monday. Well, it took a full week -- didn't get there until the next Thursday. I saved a buck or so but it sucked to have it delayed that long.

Next time I'm using a priority mail box or envelope even if it turns out to be a buck or so more in postage.

Also, the tracking number is sort of a double edged sword. It's great to know where your package is, but I found myself checking it many many times a day obsessively...
grin.gif

I might be just lucky but have never had an issue mailing just the plastic bottles one at a time. I seal them a little better with tape and mail them at the P.O. counter.

Only problem I had was when the P.O. confused the "From" and "To" sections on the bottle and delivered it right back to me here at the office! Overnight delivery, too, so maybe I shouldn't complain too much. Now I just print my "From" address in a very tiny font in hopes they can tell them apart next time.

My first few, went A OK in just the blackstone kit itself.

the last 2... not so much.
2 samples back i mailed the kit itself, like i always had before, from the same place i always had before, and it took nearly a month for them to get it. (Blackstone is a mere 1hr drive from me) I could have walked it there, and have it get there sooner than the post office delivered it.

the last sample i sent in, I put the whole kit in a padded envelope, but still just sent it normally. no priority, no tracking, nada. took a little over a week that time.

The USPS is a joke. Their inefficiency and ludacris policies are why they will be out of business soon.
smirk.gif
I tried to use them for the first UOA I ever did and they gave me hassle about shipping oil in the mail.

Went to UPS Store, they took it NO questions asked. Forget about the Post office. If they accept it (and thats a big IF) they will lose it or pull it from circulation because it is flammable, combustible, liqiuid, dark, scary or some other nonsense.

Go with UPS. My last UOA took 5 days between shipping and results. Good luck!

I use FedEx to send 20 or 30 samples every two weeks from Bolivia.

Used to use DHL, but once the lab received a diamond ring and a lady in Chicago received used oil. Another time, wondering why I had no results I tracked my sample to a DHL facility in Frankfort. After a lot of excuses, they rerouted it to the lab in Phoenix that it was addressed to. When it got back to the US, someone automatically returned it to Frankfort.

I'm interested to know how people who didn't get tracking know how long it takes for a sample to arrive, or how they can claim the USPS lost it?

I know a handful of people on this forum like to try to bash the USPS, but I've shipped more than 1,000 items by USPS in recent years (with tracking) and I've had very consistent, quick service. Normally, my delivery will be in the 3-4 business day range for an item shipped by First Class package.

Some of the claims blaming the USPS, but without tracking, don't really add up to me. If you don't get tracking, how do you know if it was delivered and it's just sitting at Blackstone and the delay is on their end, not the USPS's end?

I've personally shipped a few samples by USPS to Blackstone and had no problems.

Originally Posted By: widman
once the lab received a diamond ring

You should have claimed elevated soot and extremely high pressure and heat .........

Originally Posted By: stephen9666
I'm interested to know how people who didn't get tracking know how long it takes for a sample to arrive, or how they can claim the USPS lost it?

I know a handful of people on this forum like to try to bash the USPS, but I've shipped more than 1,000 items by USPS in recent years (with tracking) and I've had very consistent, quick service. Normally, my delivery will be in the 3-4 business day range for an item shipped by First Class package.

Some of the claims blaming the USPS, but without tracking, don't really add up to me. If you don't get tracking, how do you know if it was delivered and it's just sitting at Blackstone and the delay is on their end, not the USPS's end?

I've personally shipped a few samples by USPS to Blackstone and had no problems.

I'm generally happy with USPS as well. Sure one or two times they have been annoying but then so have Fedex whose delivery person forged a delivery signature for a valuable item which he then left in plain view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back