UOA GC 0w-30 GM 3800 L36

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

A somewhat disappointing UOA. With about 5k on the clock I wasn't expecting lead to be high.

BTW, this is the first GC this car has seen in several yrs. Mostly, it has been Penz Plat either 5 or 10w-30. This is what is in the car post GC.

UOA_1.jpg

That doesn't look to be a superb UOA. Are you still on any of the Regal boards. There is a newer Regal site now as well.

You should join the newer Regal one. It's a invite/acceptance style forum. It's alittle slow though. Alot of the regalgs guys are on it.

JMO-

I'm looking at sodium, potassium, and silicon. Looks like you're getting a bit of dirt into your engine and that increased your lead.

Were the first two samples Pennzoil Platinum?

Hi

Chuck: PM me over to the older place..not sure if links or other sites can be named here. I'll check it out.

JMO : I almost for got that about 6 weeks ago, I gutted the stock air box and likely and inadvertently, got some crud in the intake when it was disturbed.

I plan on doing a plog/ported next spring before the top swap.

Silicon has doubled over the last run. You most likely had a 'particle streak' throught the bearings like Blackstone said.

Check your air filter and ducting to make sure no leaks, do a 1-2k run to 'flush out' the dirt, and then sample your next oil in another 5k.

I wouldn't be concerned. Often GM engines show higher metal numbers but that doesn't have any affect on longivity of the engine. I would ignor the UOA numbers and go to 10K OCIs with a synt like GC. A buddy has a 2000 Grand AM and is doing 10-12Ks with M1 5-30 with no problems at all.

Quote:
You most likely had a 'particle streak' throught the bearings like Blackstone said.

Whatever the origin, it doesn't appear to be coming in through the front door. Fe, Al ..etc. are all in line
21.gif

It would have been nice to see GC back to back here. It's hard to predict what exotic formulations can do on a "once in a long time" UOA.

Hi

This fill of GC was because it was the last of a case I bought several yrs ago..it was '05 I believe and I was wanting to use it up.

For the vast majority of the 90,000 miles I have put on the car...its been PP which has given me excellent UOA.

I will do another analysis later this year..likely Oct or Nov.

Interesting UOA. Although the lead is high, everything else looks good. Additives are strong, flashpoint is very good, and viscosity numbers look ok too. The increased lead could be the result of contamination from the air box work you mentioned. Or the result of a particle streak that others have mentioned.

Either way I wouldn't consider it a bad UOA. Just good feedback from Blackstone to file for trending purposes.

-Spyder

The 3.8 is a very good engine. Notice that it does not shear the oil like the 3.6 DI does. That does not look like a bad UOA to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back