Unusual amount of iron on drain plug with...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30, and it was only a 2,500 mile OCI too. only reason i got it out so quickly was because i was quite eager to get the ARX in. anyhow, my magnetic drain plug had like a little pile of iron bits on the end of it (WAY more than usual, sometimes there isn't anything on it at all). anyone else had this problem with maxlife? car has 145,000 miles on it.

Last edited:
yes i guess thats a better term for it, "fuzz". or something resembling sand. you get the picture
grin2.gif
there was just a lot of it and i cant understand why

Is this your first run of MaxLife? If so, what oil did you use before. Could very well be the cleaning properties of MaxLife has dissolved some of the engine deposits that released wear metals they were holding?

dino oils shed metal like you notice.
that is normal buisness for dead plants and animals in your engine.
28.gif

hey that futuristic commercial is cool with the Mustang in the garage still using maxlife and all the flying cars outside flying around
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FrankN4
Is this your first run of MaxLife? If so, what oil did you use before. Could very well be the cleaning properties of MaxLife has dissolved some of the engine deposits that released wear metals they were holding?

yes it is my first run of this oil. before this, i used dyno oil once, and synthetic several times. before that, i have no idea, as i haven't had the car for all that long. i had thought that maybe those deposits were because of the cleaning properties. if that is the case, it'll be fun to see the oil filter and drain plug after my ARX runs!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Eddie
That amount is nothing from what I've observed on my many other cars.

I agree that is nominal, I have seen much worse than that.
get the oil off your hands in a hurry!

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
if that is the case, it'll be fun to see the oil filter and drain plug after my ARX runs!
shocked2.gif

Oddly, my magnetic plug on my Mitsubishi 3.0 always had a graphite like accumulation on the plug EXCEPT when I used Auto-Rx. I can only speculate that the heavy dose of polar material displaced them just like a sodium shock dose does calcium and magnesium off of water softener resin beads.

Originally Posted By: lazaro

Why?

From what I've seen over four years of changing other peoples oil, that's not that much metal. The MaxLife did some cleaning of previously entrapped deposits IMO...

Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

Why?

used motor oil is quite carcinogenic and absorbs readily into your skin like a spring roll

Originally Posted By: Max_Wander
Originally Posted By: ProStreetCamaro

Why?

used motor oil is quite carcinogenic and absorbs readily into your skin like a spring roll

Yep, that's why I've started using latex gloves.

i have a magnetic plug too...i noticed some crud on end of it after a 6500 mile run on PP...2.2 ecotec...i wonder what it was?..y my cars get 6k dino changes, 75k synthetic changes

i am glad i bought a mag plug, any xtra bit of crud out of my engine is good

How about 25-40 years with your hands coated in the stuff for 8-10 hours a day? Mechanics gloves weren't always en vogue. Around the 70's ..hmm..what was it called ..Liquid Glove was popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back