UNREASONABLE: I fear getting under a car on a lift, or even on jack stands.

Also, remember we only die once! When and how is the question.
Not exactly so, I've been there twice already due to virus related heart problems. Modern medical technology can "cheat death" rather effectively in some cases. And, yes, it sucked.

I've had a policy of placing the tires and rims UNDER the car or truck when it's jacked up. Being as most of my performance cars had rolling pins for tires, (wide rims and tires) they provided an adequate backup to the 4 jack stands and the jack.

One of the biggest fears I ever had was heights when I was young. I started working construction in my mid 20's. Working on 10-15 story buildings I soon got over it. The thing about heights is you never know what the outcome will be if you fall. Two instances I remember from one job I worked. An iron worker fell on concrete from about 4 stories. He suffered a broken back but lived. Another fell 1 story and died instantly.

I couldn't imagine falling off a ladder until it happened to me. I was on a step ladder and pretty high up, pruning a tree. Suddenly the whole thing went sideways (I must have leaned too far) and I ended up hanging off the tree. I was fine but the step ladder got bent a little.

Nowadays I have someone hold the ladder, or I tie it down if I'm going to be up there a while.
I was 15 when I started climbing a ladder in construction work. I was going up to a 2 story roof. I was petrified. Co- workers nicknamed me "Nose Bleed Reid". 12 years later I was a chimney sweep cleaning chimneys on 3 story Victorians.

The OP and me could be brothers from different mothers. I never liked it either but when I was younger I did it a few times but I've owned mostly pickups and a couple Broncos so no jacking was required to change oil and filter, I was thin enough to slide right under. I also had a 79 Datsun which I could reach in far enough. I did have a 89 Ford Tempo but I drove one side up on the curb which gave me plenty of room.

Good thread, healthy comments. I learned a thing here on bitog which has been a big favorite - homemade ramps using solid 2x6 or 2x8 lumber. Due to user error (unstable surface) I was under a vehicle when a ramp folded up. Fortunately I wasn’t totally under and could roll my shoulder out as it came down, and with the wheels on it didn’t come down far. Ive never trusted ramps since then. But I don’t care for jack stands either, and if a wheel comes off, it goes down there with me. The solid ramps have been a game changer however. i right-sized them for my use, only 3 planks tall, so they aren’t too cumbersome, but just right for getting the oil out of the sedans still here. Thank you bitog for a great idea.
Me too. I made a set of wood stepped ramps from 2X8's probably 20 years ago. They are heavy (I don't even pick them up anymore, I just slide them around on the garage floor with my feet) but there is no way physically for them to collapse. Just chock the rear wheels or apply the parking brake so it can't roll off the ramps.

Me too. I made a set of wood stepped ramps from 2X8's probably 20 years ago. They are heavy (I don't even pick them up anymore, I just slide them around on the garage floor with my feet) but there is no way physically for them to collapse. Just chock the rear wheels or apply the parking brake so it can't roll off the ramps.
Yep, wooden ramps the best.

142.jpg

How quick is "real quick", and what makes you think you're quicker than a failing jack stand?
Okay, let's figure it out. Let's assume the vehicle is 18" (1.5') above the ground. Let's assume the failed jack-stand gives no warning.

The relevant formula is S=1/2 at² where S is distance, a is the force of gravity, and t is the time to go the distance, in this case to hit the ground

Entering the terms we get 1.5 = 1/2 (32) t², and solving for t we get 0.305 seconds. [Engineers please check my math.]

You've got 0.305 seconds to get out assuming you're right on the ground. Considering a good reaction time is between 0.2 and 0.3 seconds, you'd have to be really quick!

Conclusion: It's not possible to get out if the failed jack-stand gives no warning.

I avoid getting under a car except for something "real quick," it's an unreasonable fear I think. If there are statistics about "accidents" of this type, they will surely prove how safe it is to get under a car if you have jack stands or a properly installed lift system.

Even so, I won't do it. It's an irrational fear but I just don't feel comfortable, it's part of my primitive limbic system up in the noggin'. No amount of reason or fact will fully conquer this fear.

It's a good thing I'm not a mechanic and can never be one.

Of course, I have done oil changes on ramps but there's always this fear: what if the subframe, motor mounts holding the transmission and engine fails? What if whatever is holding the vehicle up should break? The coil springs can fail (I've never heard of it happening.)

If the car is on jack stands, what if that area is a sink hole? etc. etc. you get the idea.
I have the same fear of jackstands. That’s why I put a lift in my garage, and have it bolted to the floor in all 4 corners. It’s not moving at all.

Attachments

• 36D00E7F-B305-4094-A527-71339D4FB104.jpeg
    36D00E7F-B305-4094-A527-71339D4FB104.jpeg
    115.4 KB · Views: 22
Many "accidents" involve alcohol..........be careful.
I often joke about how long it takes a job to do in # of beer cans to complete.

Jobs that require wheels up and off? They always get a *zero* beer can count.

Like mentioned above, after it's up on Jack stands, I leave a hydraulic jack in place on side I'm working on. If room permits, yes, I throw the wheel up under the vehicle beside me.

Simple stuff from above? Neighbors see me. I'm also socially awkward. So beer, interruptions and fun conversation is actually... welcomed. ^.^

Roll up ramps, I use much for low slung autos, oil changes, filter and transmission service. I'll tuck my speed hydraulic jack up under the side I'm going to be working on too.

I had a set of hefty duty plastic rhino ramps completely disintegrate on me moments after shutting the engine down and closing the door. Two steps away from the car...!BANG! ⚠️ Down she came. They were in otherwise perfect shape. No rot, no deformities.

And use wheel choks. And never, ever place a part of your body under anything held by only a jack.

Absolutely avoid doing as much as possible with anything having to do with a scissor jack. Those f*$kers can shift and drop a chassis with no warning at all.

EDIT: Minor clarification and redundant word use revision. This was a 4 can of beer goof up. *^.^*

Last edited:
Back