UNREASONABLE: I fear getting under a car on a lift, or even on jack stands.

I know that fear, but have mostly gotten past it these days. I used to be the same about getting out as quick as possible, but later realized that mentality would sometimes make me careless in that effort to quickly get out, increasing the likelihood of causing a problem myself. I now just remain calm and take my time. I also tend to use wheel cribs these days instead of jack stands. I've read threads and made posts on this forum while laying on the creeper under a car waiting for the oil to drain.

I had a car fall on me in the junkyard back in the 70's. I was retrieving a used pumpkin for my '65 buick.
Luckily I was able to roll out as I saw the thing tipping. The brake drum just bit me on the side a bit.
Lots of blood though.
My fault. had the car up on a bumper jack and stacked tires.
But I was back under there immediately. I guess I was an invincible kid and still thought so.

The parts yard guy loading up crushers on the flatbed flipped the car over on it roof so I could finish the job.
No 911 calls, no crying or undue drama. The good old days. Optimistic and tough.

No 911 calls, no crying or undue drama. The good old days. Optimistic and tough.
Most repair shops won't let you step foot on the service floor for "insurance reasons." I always wonder how the Pick&Pull concept is possible today with all trip, fall and maim hazards among all the other dangers. Their insurance must be quite high.

Many years ago I made solid wood blocks about 16” tall. A bunch of 1x12s glued and screwed together. I place them next to the Jack stands. Same theory as putting your wheels under you car while you work on it, just taller and stronger.

I had a fear of going into a bar I had not been into before. I do not drink but bars always have some sort of good food. When I started dating my wife we went on a lot of day trips so Since I had someone with me I was able to curb that fear. I still get a little nervous but I am able to walk into a bar now

I am also afraid of leaving my house for long periods or over night. Goes way back to my childhood and experiences I had back then. When we leave overnight I and a ball of nerves.

I don't think it's an unreasonable fear. I once got under the Midget when all 4 wheels were off and it was on jackstands. As I was wrenching on it, I realized this would be bad if something shifted, but the rear axle was firmly in the saddles, and the fronts were will into theirs. Some time later I saw in the news that a guy a few streets over died when his car fell on him. The next day, my colleague who lived nearby related that he was the one who spotted it and called 911.

I avoid getting under any car if it's only on jackstands. I would NEVER get under one on a hydraulic jack.

Justified. There is always some risk getting under a vehicle with jack stands. Like others said have a fail safe method with a second back up like sturdy wood blocks or such .

That's what they say, but I wonder if they just don't want you to see what they're doing.

Customers getting injured in the shop is far more common than vehicles falling off lifts/jackstands in my experience.....Countless trip & falls over Lift Arms. A working shop can be a hazardous place & a lot of them are a cluttered wreak.

The funniest one......I was torching an exhaust system off a 1st Gen Camaro & the customer wanted to keep the Flowmaster mufflers. I saw him reach for one I just cut off......I yelled pretty loud to not touch it & he just smirked & said "It'll be okay". 3rd degree burns on the palm of his hand was obviously not okay as he cried like a little girl 'til the ambulance carted him off.

I don't think it's unreasonable either, especially since I've seen some questionable things like those plastic ramps and bowing out bad and people don't give it a second thought.

My brother started doing some oil changes himself which I thought was awesome but I told him with those ramps he may want to put some jack stands under the car as well as a secondary safety measure.

For myself I built some custom wooden ramps out of 2x12s, more solid than anything you can buy!!

Most repair shops won't let you step foot on the service floor for "insurance reasons." I always wonder how the Pick&Pull concept is possible today with all trip, fall and maim hazards among all the other dangers. Their insurance must be quite high.
We that was the 70's I haven't been in a parts yard in 20 years. How bout you? With you flipping I imagine you might be now and then. Then there are the EPA regs. Two places in my town are superfund sites. I guess they were also accepting bbl's of "who's knows what" along with the usual oil and antifreeze soaked dirt.

A little fear makes getting under a car comparable to skydiving. You can save a lot of money on parachutes and aviation fuel and experience the same level of adventure.

When getting under vehicles, I have always used two+ jack stands and still leave the jack locked under there where I can too. I'll sometime stick the wheel underneath as well too to help just in case, esp. if I'm going to be under there for a while or doing heavy work.
I don't trust wheel ramps much though, as I've seen a few sets collapse (both steel and plastic ones.) so always put jack stands under as well in different spots too and a wheel chock...
I have a good story about bungy jumping too as I'm not so good with heights at first, but will save that for another time, lol...
Be safe all :)

Last edited:
Here are my 6 x 6 inch timber pieces. I use them when working outside on soft ground. I used it on my boat axle so I could remove the rim. I still left the jack in place for stability.

6F64A8FF-28D0-471B-A2C2-D370892F32B9.jpeg
AC252DEC-14A9-427E-B1AE-11CBB5BFE933.jpeg

Last edited:
Back