Universal Studios - Today’s family adventure

Decided to go to Universal in Florida with the family. Drove down from Worcester, MA to Darien, CT to drop the dog off at my MIL’s. Flew Delta out of JFK and was forced to gate check my suitcase due to a full flight. Ok, fine. Get onboard and I’m in the emergency exit row so nice! Tons of space! Get up to cruising altitude and look over at the door and I can see day light and feel freezing cold air coming through a crack. Ok…what do I know maybe that’s normal? We land and one of two bags are missing. I’m dressed for winter in Florida…awesome. The guy at Delta luggage is less than helpful and after 2.5 hours of him having people look for it we finally declare it missing. It has meds and basically everything I wear in it. We go to Portofino Bay and I buy $100 Tommy Bahamas bathing suite because I was in heavy sweat pants. A few cocktails in and miserable I get a phone call from a St. John’s Newfoundland number - a very nice woman has my bag - she grabbed it by accident. We arrange for its return over a few more cocktails. I’m tired and going to bed!
70335678696__ADE2EBCA-8D9B-413E-BD8F-825A67B59544.jpeg
IMG_4778.jpeg
IMG_4782.jpeg
IMG_4784.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Missing luggage is no fun. My sister and I flew to Newark, NJ to stay in Staten Island, NY last summer and 1/2 the flight they left the luggage behind, including ours. 24 hours later it was delivered via courier to our hotel. We had to take an Uber to Target to get some clothes and supplies. Luckily American Airlines reimbursed me for everything too.

Glad it worked out for you.

Every time I have gone to FL I have left New England in a snowstorm. The last time, we had to drive from Danbury to Hartford, Sunday morning so like 6 inches of snow on I84. What made that so great was I had come down with a pretty good cold a couple days before, so I slept the flight, most of the first day and took several naps in Disney the following day.

But recuperating in 70F weather and sun? best part of the trip.

My wife likes to buy weird looking colorful luggage and tie scarves to it. She's just being fashionable but it's a good idea to make your luggage unique.

My flight to Ohio is booked for tomorrow but I was just told to cancel and fly out on Tuesday. Maybe. We use Concur. My flight to Ohio is 1.5 hours. Concur said there is a less expensive flight than the one that I chose and wanted me to justify the expense. The other flight is 7 hours with stops and layover.

Glad you got your luggage situation worked out. Have fun is Florida!

AH yes, the classic cold air trick...

In reality, the plane is pressurized, so cold air is not coming in from outside, but rather being created by airflow over the cold aluminum. The light you see is from the window.

Welcome to FL. I do hope you have a great time!!!

I travel a fair bit for my teaching job so I decided I needed a more unique suitcase than the standard black american tourister I had. Snapon man walked in with a flyer for a promo they were doing on a rolling suitcase full of power tools. I didnt want the tools but wanted the bag so made him a deal to buy the bag off him and he broke up the tools and sold them individually. To this day I have never seen another orange and black Snapon suitcase at baggage claim. Makes it real easy to tell whats mine.

We had a bright strap that we wrapped around our check-able bag. But we gave it to a couple of tourists from Mexico whose suitcase was literally bursting. They needed it more than we did. We should get another one. Anything to separate your bag from the rest of the crowd.

Some years ago we had an exchange student coming from Finland. We had to leave for a family wedding, a 500 km drive away, only a couple of hours after her arrival. We said she should carry a dress suitable for a wedding in her carry-on bag and sure enough her bags failed to arrive on her flight. At least she had one change of clothes for the weekend. The bag arrived early the next week by which time we were home again.

I travel a fair bit for my teaching job so I decided I needed a more unique suitcase than the standard black american tourister I had. Snapon man walked in with a flyer for a promo they were doing on a rolling suitcase full of power tools. I didnt want the tools but wanted the bag so made him a deal to buy the bag off him and he broke up the tools and sold them individually. To this day I have never seen another orange and black Snapon suitcase at baggage claim. Makes it real easy to tell whats mine.
5 on eBay, 2 yellow and 3 green.

If anyone wants to mess with @Timmastertech at the airport. 🤣

Glad you made it, and glad the lady (not Delta, as everyone guessed) who was at fault called you.

A couple frequent traveler tips:
  • Fly direct whenever possible. No connections mean fewer opportunities for lost luggage, and no chance of missing a connection.
  • Don’t put meds in checked luggage. Ever.
  • Always have one small back pack for carry on that has meds, toothbrush, electronics, chargers, one change of clothes.
  • Make sure your carry on is actually a carry on, some aren’t.
  • Pack light and go carry on + back pack if your connection is tight.
  • Check the rest if the flight is full and/or you have time. Lower stress than worrying about the overhead bin.
  • Join the airline loyalty program, accrue whatever status you can from the travel you take. Status = service when in a pinch.
  • Status gets you Comfort Plus on Delta. Big leg room improvement.
  • Status gets you free checked bags on Delta.
  • Status gives you a better chance at the exit row. You got lucky this time because the flight was full.
  • Name tag on every bag.
  • Business card inside every bag. Things get mixed up. Contact info helps sort it out.

My parents went to Orlando from last Friday until yesterday. Flying was such a nightmare. They sat on the runway for 2 hours on their way out, and then 3 hours due to storms on their way home. I kinda laughed because it was 89 and 90 here two days in a row while it was about the same or cooler/raining in Florida.

Glad you made it, and glad the lady (not Delta, as everyone guessed) who was at fault called you.

A couple frequent traveler tips:
  • Fly direct whenever possible. No connections mean fewer opportunities for lost luggage, and no chance of missing a connection.
  • Don’t put meds in checked luggage. Ever.
  • Always have one small back pack for carry on that has meds, toothbrush, electronics, chargers, one change of clothes.
  • Make sure your carry on is actually a carry on, some aren’t.
  • Pack light and go carry on + back pack if your connection is tight.
  • Check the rest if the flight is full and/or you have time. Lower stress than worrying about the overhead bin.
  • Join the airline loyalty program, accrue whatever status you can from the travel you take. Status = service when in a pinch.
  • Status gets you Comfort Plus on Delta. Big leg room improvement.
  • Status gets you free checked bags on Delta.
  • Status gives you a better chance at the exit row. You got lucky this time because the flight was full.
  • Name tag on every bag.
  • Business card inside every bag. Things get mixed up. Contact info helps sort it out.
Yeah…we all had one carryon and just as I scanned my ticket I was told no more room in overheads and I had to check my bag. I would never put anything mission critical in a checked bag but in the moment I didn’t think about cracking open my suitcase to grab anything.

Mission critical will go in a small backpack that fits under a seat.

(People are funny about back packs. I mean small. Not some giant thing they will make me check when the bin gets tight.)

Clothes are not mission critical.

Meds. Cell phone. Charger. Shaving kit. iPad for books.

I can buy a set of clothes if needed.

If the checked bag is lost, I can still brush my teeth. Take my meds. Get a shower. Before I shop for some new clothes…

Last edited:
I think we all know the benefit of having uniquely marked luggage at the carousel but a "Snap-On Special" could be enough to attract the young stud thief.
Am I paranoid or what?

A unique one should stand out easily if somebody else is taking it while you're watching the luggage carusel.

My favorite thing to do is to load up my duffel bag as much as possible. Most people can't carry, much less walk, with a 50 pound duffel bag with no wheels. With that said, I always try to pack as tight and the least amount of wasted space possible. I'll pack a couple days into my hiking/carry-on.

I think we all know the benefit of having uniquely marked luggage at the carousel but a "Snap-On Special" could be enough to attract the young stud thief.
Am I paranoid or what?
a “snap-on” logo will at least be safe from the likes of sam brinton, formerly of the u.s. energy department.

astro14’s advice is spot on. i dress business casual for the flight and add a change of underwear and a fresh shirt to my always-with-me carryon pack. it doesn’t cost much more to not fly in the cheapest fare class, which provide no seat selection, no checked bag and last boarding.

Delta got my bag to me in less than 24 hours and I was appreciative because it wasn't their fault and they still got the bag out to Portofino Bay. The rest of the vacation was awesome. The weather was phenomenal - low 80's and NO humidity. Full sun and I don't think I broke a sweat once in spite of walking 12-15 miles every day.

If anyone is thinking of going to Universal - I think better than Disney, especially for older kids. Hagrid's rollercoaster is the best all-around well-rounded coaster I've ever ridden. VelociCoaster is the most exciting coaster I've ever ridden - there are 12 zero-g sections (and only a lap harness - no shoulder harness) and you feel like it is trying to eject you from the ride the entire time.

Back