United ordering 15 supersonic jets from startup

Not likely any time soon. They'll need a lot more of them than just 15. The other thing is that Narita is just way too far away. If they could change that to Haneda, then it might be doable.

I think Haneda is doable. They run everything else out of there now since the upgrades. Of course it all depends on where in Tokyo you have to be. 😁

So is SFO. It’s a matter of slots, which Japan strictly regulates.

SFO isn't that bad as long as the weather is good. I don't think it comes close to Haneda or Atlanta levels of traffic.

But I prefer OAK or SJC because they're just not as busy and fog doesn't cause massive, cascading delays. I still wonder about the old SFO-OAK flight.

HND and SFO are quite close in annual traffic. Neither are in the top ten. Both are hamstrung by lack of runways and no room to expand them.

HND and SFO are quite close in annual traffic. Neither are in the top ten. Both are hamstrung by lack of runways and no room to expand them.
And sometimes the runway is too high ! 😳
(have actually flown them, a nice service) …

I was basing it off of 2019 number. I looked up 2019 and Haneda was top 10. Of course 2019 was before lots of flights got cut.

passengertraffic_table_001.jpg

SFO said they had about 57 million passengers.

Then it’s moved up considerably. HND used to be about #14 with SFO #15.

They remain slot restricted and runway constrained.

Haneda has really picked up. It does get crowded but in Japan crowded is typical. Passengers move pretty efficiently for the most part.

Narita is not all that bad actually. With the trains like NEX it’s not that bad anymore. It’s about a hour to the main Tokyo station There is another train too but the name escapes me. Again it all depends on where in Tokyo you want to go.

They can get ahead of the trends, but then new management may decide to abandon the effort. Didn't that happen with GM and the EV1?
For sure! Ahead of its time. Then came along Elon who figured out putting together several thousand small lithium batteries is good enough to extend the range, coupled with the CO2 thing and resulting government subsidies and it worked this time. Add in the auto pilot technology and perceived connection with SpaceX ( blast a Tesla around Mars) and away you go.

Government subsidies would move bio jet fuel forward. Good or bad. It’s possible those Europeans will require bio fuel for planes landing at their airports some day.

At the very least it might be a requirement just for emissions reductions. I understand that some of these fuels even increase range slightly.

For sure! Ahead of its time. Then came along Elon who figured out putting together several thousand small lithium batteries is good enough to extend the range, coupled with the CO2 thing and resulting government subsidies and it worked this time. Add in the auto pilot technology and perceived connection with SpaceX ( blast a Tesla around Mars) and away you go.
Let’s get this right. The same guy responsible for the EV1 (Impact) drive system is the same guy that ”figured out” putting an 18650 Li-Ion battery pack in an electric car. Alan Cocconi. AC Propulsion. Despite revisionist history from Eberhard and Straubel.

Let’s get this right. The same guy responsible for the EV1 (Impact) drive system is the same guy that ”figured out” putting an 18650 Li-Ion battery pack in an electric car. Alan Cocconi. AC Propulsion. Despite revisionist history from Eberhard and Straubel.

Then there was the Studebaker Electric if we want to back even further.

United's contract must be contingent on the completed jets meeting United's performance specifications. Have those specifications been made public?

Then there was the Studebaker Electric if we want to back even further.

Early electric vehicles were common enough, Especially among women. Henry Ford's wife drove a 1914 Detroit Electric Model 47. It was quiet, didn't need to be hand cranked, didn't smell of exhaust, and didn't need a transmission. Not a whole lot of range, but that wasn't a problem just going short distances around town.

Early electric vehicles were common enough, Especially among women. Henry Ford's wife drove a 1914 Detroit Electric Model 47. It was quiet, didn't need to be hand cranked, didn't smell of exhaust, and didn't need a transmission. Not a whole lot of range, but that wasn't a problem just going short distances around town.

Price: $3,730 as outfitted
Average 1914 wage: $627 per year

WoW ... Six times more expensive than people's avg yearly income. :oops: Only the wealth bought those back in those days I'd think.

like the 2707 and concorde, lots of people will buy in and then drop out.

i’m guessing a couple prototypes built at most, and absolutely no commercial service

Back