United Airlines route map 1969

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Interesting to see UAL route map from 1969. I am guessing more off hub point to point service in 1969 than today. A few of many observations- Detroit had a lot more destinations/ flights in 1969 than it does today. Las Vegas I suspect has significantly grown in UAL flights from 1969. Zero flights to all of Texas and Arizona.

I understand flights were federally regulated at this time.

338043873_240986238292547_7157422255688774825_n.jpg
338116920_6310313229019975_3691926424766554541_n.jpg

Last edited:
And a huge variety of equipment on the routes as well. Growing up about one mile from MKE airport, we routinely saw 727s (shorties and -200 series), 737-200s, DC-8s, and the occasional DC-10. Made for great plane watching for a small market town basically ruled by Northwest (Orient) and North Central.

Today it seems like nothing but regional jets and SWA 737s. Ugh.

And a huge variety of equipment on the routes as well. Growing up about one mile from MKE airport, we routinely saw 727s (shorties and -200 series), 737-200s, DC-8s, and the occasional DC-10. Made for great plane watching for a small market town basically ruled by Northwest (Orient) and North Central.

Today it seems like nothing but regional jets and SWA 737s. Ugh.
Thanks for sharing Capt W.

I recall seeing a NorthWest D10 at the gate at MKE on a regular basis, I believe heading from and to MSP. I suspect you miss MKE's hometown airline, Midwest Express, which was truly "the best care in the air".

The DC-10s (many of which were -40 series...only ordered by Northwest and JAL - useless trivia) at MKE lasted until the early 2000s. I regularly flew MKE-BWI for work and often took the MSP stop over DTW just to get on that DC-10. One flight had 11 people on it! Loved the 727s as well, though.

When I was a wee lad in the early 70s, Northwest Orient had a 5x or 6x weekly 747 that ran JFK-MKE-MSP. Would pedal my bike to the runway end on either Pennsylvania Ave or Layton Ave to watch her depart at about 1PM. Still vividly remember that massive red tail jutting far above the terminal.

Definitely enjoyed my flights on Midwest Express, usually to/from DFW. And although they were famous (regionally, anyway) for their immaculate DC-9 family of aircraft, I took several MKE-BWI rides on their Dornier 328 JET aircraft...and they were surprisingly nice as well (but cruised lower & slower).

Great topic. You always seem to post some pretty neat stuff.

I'm wondering where the SFO-OAK short haul flight is on this. I distinctly remember back in the early 80s seeing an ABC News fluff piece on that flight. The piece included a United flight attendant who was also a soap opera actress.

A passenger didn’t have a lot of choices when flying to certain destinations. This was also before the alliances came into existence.

Seattle Tacoma in particular was not the hub so to speak as it is today. Back then a lot of international flights required a trip to SFO or LAX. Same with many domestic flights.

The DC-10s (many of which were -40 series...only ordered by Northwest and JAL - useless trivia) at MKE lasted until the early 2000s. I regularly flew MKE-BWI for work and often took the MSP stop over DTW just to get on that DC-10. One flight had 11 people on it! Loved the 727s as well, though.

When I was a wee lad in the early 70s, Northwest Orient had a 5x or 6x weekly 747 that ran JFK-MKE-MSP. Would pedal my bike to the runway end on either Pennsylvania Ave or Layton Ave to watch her depart at about 1PM. Still vividly remember that massive red tail jutting far above the terminal.

Definitely enjoyed my flights on Midwest Express, usually to/from DFW. And although they were famous (regionally, anyway) for their immaculate DC-9 family of aircraft, I took several MKE-BWI rides on their Dornier 328 JET aircraft...and they were surprisingly nice as well (but cruised lower & slower).

Great topic. You always seem to post some pretty neat stuff.
There aren't many places left that you can pedal your bike to watch commercial aviation traffic take off and land.

• Sad
Reactions: GON
There aren't many places left that you can pedal your bike to watch commercial aviation traffic take off and land.

There used to be dedicated parking areas for that. I remember once we were early to pick someone up at SFO and my dad took us there where it was right at the end of a runway. Not quite the beach in Saint Martin, but there were some just there to plane watch. I think the basic rule was no unoccupied vehicles.

SJC is right by a major road. It sure about stopping by the road, but I would think it’s possible.

Dont remind me. We were spoiled when TWA hub was here in STL.
Yes, when I lived in St. Louis TWA and Ozark Airlines were the main carriers. I was on a DC-10 coming back from LA (business trip) and on final an Ozark DC-9 stalled on a crossway; pilots had to gun it and do a missed approach. Apparently the stewardess sitting across from me had not encountered a missed approach. 😁

Airline routes were regulated and some what of a monopoly. My rather useless opinion is deregulation of the airlines and trucking industries wasn't the best idea.

Back