Unique off grid home on 40 acres, $453,000

My wife would agree with you 100 percent. All I can see is places to easily park trailers, and great terrain for young grandsons to learn how to ride dirt bikes....
I think a lot of that dirt will end up inside .

I'd bet that if you offered 300K cash you'd be the proud new owner of this remote property since the location sucks and it isn't that attractive a house, although the interior looks nice and has great potential.
Internet would be a challenge, but if you could arrange that then phone service would be okay over wifi.
You'd need a 4X4 pickup to get out reliably on the dirt road ( the area sees 14" of rain each year as well as snow) and for those monthly runs to Costco in Flagstaff. There's no running down to the corner store for a gallon of milk or a loaf of bread.
An intriguing property that most of us would have no real desire to own, since it would come with the challenge of difficult access to anything.

Reactions: GON
39 acres of land you can do absolutely nothing with, why would you put the solar on the roof?

The existing solar and battery (lead acid?) building looks to be sized for the water pump only.

39 acres of land you can do absolutely nothing with, why would you put the solar on the roof?

The existing solar and battery (lead acid?) building looks to be sized for the water pump only.
Funny you mentioned that. Entering Nevada from California on the interstate is a massive ground mounted solar farm. Wonder if the farm owner would miss one row of panels ?

imagine being that far out and remote and still having a trailer parked right next you.
It can keep things interesting, that is for sure.
MV5BOTA0NTAwMTc1MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwODk2NjY0ODE@._V1_.jpg

Not far from Old US 66, one could make a living selling curios and turquoise! While it's probably 40 years ago now, I once barely got to Ash Fork in a blinding snow storm that started somewhat west of Seligman. All the motels were already sold out, spent time in old road restaurant and then six very cold hours in my car.
Just west of Ash Fork, Old 66 thought the reservation is still a step back in time.

When my wife and I were looking at homes in Colorado probably 25% were off grid. As much as I wanted to romanticize it, it was a no go for me in the end.

Not far from Old US 66, one could make a living selling curios and turquoise! While it's probably 40 years ago now, I once barely got to Ash Fork in a blinding snow storm that started somewhat west of Seligman. All the motels were already sold out, spent time in old road restaurant and then six very cold hours in my car.
Just west of Ash Fork, Old 66 thought the reservation is still a step back in time.

When my wife and I were looking at homes in Colorado probably 25% were off grid. As much as I wanted to romanticize it, it was a no go for me in the end.
The people who care about Route 66 are the same age as (most) who hang out here. You got 15ish (or so) years max for milking anything out of Route 66.

The people who care about Route 66 are the same age as (most) who hang out here. You got 15ish (or so) years max for milking anything out of Route 66.
Although I said it in jest, there is a lot of truth to this, although the amount of people who come over from Europe to ride 66 is pretty strong. But to your point, at Hot August Nights more than one person has told me the event is good for 10 more years max..... for the same reason you mention.

Reactions: CKN
Nope. I'm too used to New England.

But then again, bet I wouldn't need a lawn mower. So that's a plus. Nor a chainsaw. Starting to sound better...

Although all that dirt around the house, does it just wind up inside? When you have the windows open, or otherwise tracked in when you come inside.
I am kind of impressed that they seem not to need a prepared driveway as well? Just drive in the same spot a dozen times and its good... It would kind of be neat as an odd air bnb rental, flat house on a plane... but having your nearest neighbor within a 5 iron shot kind of ruins it....
I think it would be neat place to live for a year, see all the seasons, go ride an ATV or dirtbike or jeep off into the distant hills a few times a week, but long term I couldn't do it. Takes some one who really likes big skies...

I am kind of impressed that they seem not to need a prepared driveway as well? Just drive in the same spot a dozen times and its good... It would kind of be neat as an odd air bnb rental, flat house on a plane... but having your nearest neighbor within a 5 iron shot kind of ruins it....
I think it would be neat place to live for a year, see all the seasons, go ride an ATV or dirtbike or jeep off into the distant hills a few times a week, but long term I couldn't do it. Takes some one who really likes big skies...
Yeah, I think the concrete pad for parking needs to be longer. It's weird to see a paved driveway that turns out to a dirt road, but I've seen it enough times that it doesn't surprise me.

You know, you're right, I shouldn't dismiss that kind of living, big sky living, so quickly. Might be real nice to sit and watch the sunset. Would have to experience to know if I like or not.

But no high speed internet? I better be retired and/or really wealthy.

This is the lowest cost property I have found within three hours of Colordao......

We looked hard in that area at one point. Much of it has super low property taxes because they still use the original ranch grazing permits. But, there is a but, you have to have your land un-fenced so the cows can graze freely. We came out of one house to have 16 cows in the front blocking our car from getting out! I believe much of the area is called Hatchet Ranch. Lots of property around there off the ranch, but it had the same feel. Only issue is you had to do your shopping in Pueblo and South Pueblo was not a great area, I wouldn't want my wife doing it alone.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Back