Unique Mahle filter construction

Never seen construction like this - not sure what you call this levered over tab crimp on construction for the base plate. Not that it matters, just have never seen this before.

This is a cross for the ubiquitous 7317 size Nissan / Honda filter, FYI.

full

full

full

Looks like for some reason the 'base' is a two-piece construction.
Pretty much all oil filters have a two piece base plate construction. The piece that holds the base plate gasket is a separate piece from the heavy steel base plate. The gasket holding piece is crimped on to the steel base plate and has a sealant material between them to prevent leakage.

Are these tabs welded on? The one at 3 o'clock appears to have a gap between the ring. If it broke off there could be trouble.

Are these tabs welded on? The one at 3 o'clock appears to have a gap between the ring. If it broke off there could be trouble.
Its a solid piece - not welded. There is a tooling mark on each tab - I presume from when it was actually bent over. It looks almost like a scribe line, but I am sure its from the tooling. Its hard to get a decent photo of it.

That whole piece is crimped around the circumference at the base of the can. The tabs are probably used to locate and prevent that piece from moving around while it's being crimped to the can. There will be a sealant between it and the heavy base plate to prevent any leakage.

Pretty much all oil filters have a two piece base plate construction. The piece that holds the base plate gasket is a separate piece from the heavy steel base plate. The gasket holding piece is crimped on to the steel base plate and has a sealant material between them to prevent leakage.
Sometimes the "gasket holding piece" appears to be spot-welded on.

Its a solid piece - not welded. There is a tooling mark on each tab - I presume from when it was actually bent over. It looks almost like a scribe line, but I am sure its from the tooling. Its hard to get a decent photo of it.
I will trust the guy holding it in his hand (you) but using just the photos it appears otherwise.
But PRC/ R.o.C. ? Nope.

Mahle China.jpg

Your definitely challenging my photography skills. Some might actually be cracked. None are welded.
I do see a continuity of material grain structure and orientation that supports a one-piece stamping and blanking construction. Welding would not be cost effective. Disturbing about the cracking. That makes it a no-go for me. Any loose pieces could migrate back to the oil pump if near horizontal orientation. Not probable - but possible. Good work, SC M. - Ken

mahle  tabs.jpg

I don't see how a broken off piece could "migrate back to the oil pump", in any filter mounting configuration. No engine has a straight verticle oil gallery between the pump and the base of an oil filter that I can think of. Even if it did break off and fell down into the filter inlet gallery somehow, it would be pushed back to the filter by the oil pump. If the tab has some miro-cracks from a one time bending, I don't think it's ever going to break off in use.

Back