Unilever kills the iconic Breyers Ice Cream brand!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Iced sweet post of the day???

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman
get some milk, whipping cream, sugar, and vanilla, and fire up my ice cream maker.

now we know BITOGers like to cook.
this will receive +1 even from grumpy Pop_rivit.
I give it +1,000

Originally Posted By: stranger706

Do you ever make your own? Its really simple...there are lots of reliable, easy to use ice cream makers on the market now. You can get one that uses ice and salt, or one that uses the cooling liquid. I have both. I'm kind an ice cream addict. You can pick your own ingredients (high grade or quick and cheap) and play around with recipes. Fun for the family too...

Talking about this is making me want to go make some.

I love ice cream, I'm no longer a kid of course, but I am very particular about my ice cream and I like it with nothing but basic real food ingredients.

I'm looking into an ice cream maker and will make it and freeze it for later as well. I just simply REFUSE to eat ice cream that has poison chemical additives and fillers in it.

Originally Posted By: Roadkingnc
Harris Teeter grocery stores has a store branded ice cream that is all natural no artificial anything

I know about Harris Teeter, it is supposed to be a very high quality supermarket chain, my Aunt lives in Charlotte so I have been to their stores and they are nice.

Does the HT version contain whey or tara gum?

For a while breyers had a trap where vanilla ice cream (milk?) was sold parallel to their 4-ingredient all natural vanilla. They hid the good stuff in the grocer's freezer, or customers just bought them out quickly.

I also liked Edy's for a while, but they went and cheapened that also.

Now up for consideration is Gifford's, worth seeking out if you find yourselves up in Maine.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

I also liked Edy's for a while, but they went and cheapened that also.

Anyone ever had UDF, or United Dairy Farmers, in/around Ohio?

And eljefino, was WAITING for someone to mention EDYs!
smile.gif

That, and Ben & Jerry.

I like UDF's "Superman" and "Paintball" ice creams. One scoop. Yum.

Aww that's a shame...One of my all-time favorites was Breyers vanilla with home made cookie dough chunks added.

One by one all the good pure natural stuff is replaced with carp chemicals that undoubtedly brings more harm than the original...nothing to say about artificial tasting...blech.

Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Yep, it's a big deal in southern Ohio/Cincinnati. Only one around here. Funny they sell gasoline and ice cream at the same store. Kind of like a Speedway/Sheetz type place. But good quality ice cream. Comparable to Breyers when they were good, Baskin Robbins. Better than Dairy Queen but that's a different animal there.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Originally Posted By: TechnoLoGs

Yep, it's a big deal in southern Ohio/Cincinnati. Only one around here. Funny they sell gasoline and ice cream at the same store. Kind of like a Speedway/Sheetz type place. But good quality ice cream. Comparable to Breyers when they were good, Baskin Robbins. Better than Dairy Queen but that's a different animal there.

Columbus here, used to work for one in one of the Columbus suburbs that starter with W... Either W or C, it's been awhile. And Columbus is pretty huge place.

Nice place, and nice Mobil gasoline!
smile.gif

Hudson St in Columbus Ohio was a fair frequent of mine, post-College days (late 20s, God rest their soul.)

Breyers was definitely a cornerstone of the ice cream world. We try to stay away from ice cream and make smoothies instead, but when we do buy ice cream we just get the cheapest new York vanilla and doctor it up.

I know what you mean Breyers use to be all natural, good tasting and at a good price. Now it contains vegetable gums. Maybe selling it for $3 at Walmart was a factor into cheapening it out.

Ice cream also use to be half gallon cartons, but is now about 20-30% smaller 1.5L or whatever.

Now about the only all natural ice cream available conveniently is Turkey Hill. there's also Hagen Daz but it is very expensive and very thick and rich. I buy it quite a bit.

When I buy ice cream from my grocery store, I only buy Private Selection at King Soopers.
It actually is made with real ingredients, and tastes better that Breyers.

I can't even tell you the last time I bought Breyers, but it has been many years.
2008, maybe?

You should be able to get it at most Kroger stores.

BC.

Interestingly my wife/I noticed something and stopped buying Breyers. I actually prefer a store brand of a local supermarket chain(Market Basket) Vanilla Bean in its hideous packaging.

I know the former Controller for Unilever, and he was the dumbest "smart" person that I have ever known. While he was there, they destroyed a couple of well know and liked brands/products by going cheap on them. He told me some of the increases on profit margins, and some of them were quite large, but some of them barely made a difference so why they ruined a good product for no financial benefit was absurd.

I try to avoid any of their products now, just on principle.

Least down south we still have Blue Bell. Prolly not ALL natural but seems pretty close and still is a full half gallon.

Originally Posted By: moklock
Least down south we still have Blue Bell. Prolly not ALL natural but seems pretty close and still is a full half gallon.

I've tried Blue Bell because a lot of people say they like it, however it contains HFC, and a few other additives that I don't care for, and I don't feel the flavor is a clean with it compared to the old Breyers All Natural when it comes to Chocolate and Vanilla Bean.

That was also the thing that stood out to me with the OLD Breyers All Natural Ice Cream. The flavors were full and clean. Something most typical supermarket choices don't have, as well as the All Natural aspect which is important to me.

I did find something surprising at the Wal Mart...well my Mom did...she was browsing the Ice Cream section and amazingly they have a Great Value Brand All Natural Vanilla Bean Ice Cream that is really all natural. All it contains is milk , cream, sugar, vanilla bean and tara gum, now I don't like that additive, but it IS a natural gum and there is NO whey, unlike any Breyers Ice Cream flavors now.

The price is nice around 2.75 /48oz and the flavor is very good, with decent REAL vanilla and a almost rich body to it.

I dislike Wal Mart intensely but I might buy that Ice Cream on a regular basis because it is good and it is something made in the USA. I wonder WHO actually makes it for them?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
I know the former Controller for Unilever, and he was the dumbest "smart" person that I have ever known. While he was there, they destroyed a couple of well know and liked brands/products by going cheap on them. He told me some of the increases on profit margins, and some of them were quite large, but some of them barely made a difference so why they ruined a good product for no financial benefit was absurd.

Wow, this is very interesting to say the least. Not surprising either of course, I bet that clown is a MBA too. They are the biggest pool of dumb "smart" people, in the modern business world.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: threeputtpar

Wow, this is very interesting to say the least. Not surprising either of course, I bet that clown is a MBA too. They are the biggest pool of dumb "smart" people, in the modern business world.

My guess is the change that barely made a difference is either resume building or risk hedging. As in they just change for the sake of change so they have something to brag about when looking for another job or ask for a raise. And the risk hedging may be due to the new ingredient being available all seasons instead of only in season, so they don't have to worry about discount vs price increase many times a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back