Unhappy@ New Job

I started a new job on 11/30 and so far I hate it. My background is mainly in retail management and now I'm stuck in a "work station" aka cubical in an extremely quiet office. The silence is killing me. Plus, I have little to no direction or guidance from my boss. Has anyone had any experience leaving a job soon after accepting it?

My son had exactly the same experience as you. Was out of work in sales and accepted a job in an office. LOATHED it after a week and quit the next week. In about three weeks time, he found a great sales job.

Life is too short to really hate something on a daily basis. Look at your savings and figure out if they will cover you until you get a new job. If so, quit now. If not, bite the bullet, hold on for the pay and put out your resume, hit head hunters, etc.

Unfortunately I looked at $$$ and took the job mainly for it. I'm gonna probably ride it out till something better suited for me comes a long.
Years ago I drove truck out of the Teamsters local to make extra money . I usually picked up work on the week ends and one company had on this on their pay checks , this the best benefit of the job. They paid top dollar.

Last edited:
Yes, I started a job on a Monday, and Quit on a Wednesday morning. If you have something lined up or can take the hit, do it. It was the best move I ever did. I went back to my old job and realized how much I took for granted, and how much I loved the company I worked for.

I've never been good at doing things that my heart isn't into. I've never taken a job based on $$ before. Definitely mistake on my part.

Part of life is figuring out what you don't like/want, just as much as part of it is figuring out what you do like/want. I worked at a local Morton Salt plant as a supervisor for 6wks and it was of the better experiences in my life in that I figured out very quickly the plant's management team was worthless ****ing retards and I would never enjoy the physical environment of working there.

I work in a quiet office, with the exception of when I need to go out to the hangars, and while it's not my preference, I've found ways to deal with it. If you can wear earbuds, try out listening to audio books. I get away with it because I only put one earbud in, which allows me to still hear what's going on around me. I also try to stand up and walk around for 5 minutes or so once an hour. Just to break the monotony that can sometimes set in. A lot of people around me eat the lunch at their desk, but I'd go crazy if I did that. Even if it's just for 30 minutes, finding a different place to eat inside, or better yet, even outside (weather permitting), makes things much better.

Point is, eventually you'll find something that works and you'll slowly adapt over time. I definitely wouldn't leave without something lined up, but you might even find that once you adapt to your new work life, you enjoy certain things about it.

When I worked, Monday mornings were always the toughest time. I liked the job a bit more when it got to be Friday afternoon. It is Monday morning right now and gloomy weather. The way I feel I'd call in if I could remember my last employer's phone number.

Except for the company lunches and picnics, working mostly sucks.

I started a new job on 11/30 and so far I hate it. My background is mainly in retail management and now I'm stuck in a "work station" aka cubical in an extremely quiet office. The silence is killing me. Plus, I have little to no direction or guidance from my boss. Has anyone had any experience leaving a job soon after accepting it?
Quit a job after one week. I could have used the walking around money at the time, I had just taken 18 months off for the heck of it.
Found another job in an industry that was also my hobby. Ever hear the saying do what you like to do, it's not like working?
That one lasted one day.

There's no one else in the office to interact with? Can you listen to radio at a reasonable volume? Is the work itself tolerable? First week or so at a new job can be rough, but unless something really awful is going on, I wouldn't bail after the first week or two.

For me, finding a new job was always much easier when I was working.

I get loving what you do, but don't we mostly work for the earning potential? I know I have to.

I've known a few that came crawling back to their old job that quickly not having burned any bridges. I've also known a few that started looking again for yet something within a few days of starting a new job. It happens.

It's very mundane boring e-commerce work. I used to do it from 2000-2015 for myself. But, I had interaction with people and would set my own schedule. Now, it's 8-5, very little interaction with people. Friday, if I said 4 sentences I would be surprised. I feel like I'm in some white collar prison.

Yes, I started a job on a Monday, and Quit on a Wednesday morning. If you have something lined up or can take the hit, do it. It was the best move I ever did. I went back to my old job and realized how much I took for granted, and how much I loved the company I worked for.
Had a secretary start a job one day and when she went to lunch, she was taking a really long time. We were remarking that she was really taking a long time at lunch for her first day on the job. She never came back. I think they still paid her for the day as they had to by law, she sent her husband to come by and pick up the check.

Was just reading about the Zappos guy that died recently. Interesting story if you haven't read it. Guy had all the money in the world but not his mental health. But more to the point, new employees at Zappos are offered $1000 or more to quit after they've been there a short while. They want to weed out and incentivize people to quit that don't like working there.

I have weekly 1x1 with my direct report to ensure they're getting what they need from me.

I'm not much of an HR person but I'd think it's more the company culture than the cube farm quietness that is the problem.

Back