When to find a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone so I'm asking this because sometimes an outside view is best.
Second week of November my work was bought out by a new company we were a small little repair shop that used to be a ford dealer so it was a big building and big lot but small scale service after ford left only had 3 techs total and one service manager and that was it besides the owner.
Fast forward now we have 8 stores that these people own they are very big and I have a manager and director 3 total techs and a couple rv guys. Us 3 techs cannot keep up with the work load but they won't hire any more car techs. We are all sharing one air hose because that's all we have we didn't receive a pay increase but now are expected to do more duties than we used to (not a huge deal but worth mentioning)
Before they officially bought the place and hired us they promised me and one other guy we wouldn't have to do late shift because our schedule doesn't allow it. My wife works night and I don't have a babysitter to them at the time this was a non issue because they would hire techs specifically for night shift immediately. Well they still haven't and we are expected to do late shifts we all take turns. Which I don't mind other than my schedule doesn't permit it and it was discussed before being hired and they were dishonest. They also promised all new shop equipment because almost none of ours works correctly and they haven't done that.
Sales dept has everything they need and it's being completely redone and we are basically left in a big pile of you know what. I own a Snap on solus edge pro so I have the best scan tool in the shop also the only scan tool in the shop. They expect me to allow it to be used for the entire shop and we even a little bothered that I hadn't updated it yet which cost 900 dollars. Needless to say I'm fed up. I'm hesitant to leave obo because last time I left a job looking for greener pastures I was completely lied to and screwed over. I also like the 2 other techs and my old boss who was hired on as a manager and is now just a advisor.... But I feel like it's time to leave ....I'm torn in a lot of ways and advice and input would be great. I also make about 3-5 dollars less than I really should be making.i asked about a pay raise when they all hired us because I was overdue for one then and was told I'd have to wait atleast a year. So anyway all input and advice is greatly welcomed. I don't have a ton of experience in the grown up real job world so asking more seasoned people I think is a good idea. Thanks everyone

First off you have the best scan tool in the shop???? and one air hose?? are you Flat rate too?? Your tool box has wheels for a reason.

Flat rate pay sucks, techs get screwed all the time.... dealership shop profits.

See if there are any biomed societies in your area and go to the meetings, pass out your resume. Biomed techs repair, test and calibrate medical equipment. Better pay, you don't get dirty and 7-4 schedule. Low stress and lots of stuff you can learn on the job in a hospital/surgery setting.

I know GE pays $21 an hour for internship... then $25-26 when hired full-time.

The fact that you are asking, means that it is probably time. Do you have certifications/training? A good technician shoild be able to find work. Are you amennable to moving elsewhere?
I would try approaching "management" if you have rapport with them. It is probably better to keep the job you have then find a new one, if you can work things out.
Do a self-inventory of your personal assets and skills. What do YOU bring to the table. Next, make a list of the "changes" you would like to see. Be realistic and realize that change may not happen quickly. The company that bought your store may have spent a lot of money to acquire it. They may not yet have a lot of funds to pour into it immediately, but may have a long term plan.
Approach management in a non-threatening, non-accusatory manner. Begin a dialog about your concerns. If you have shop meetings, it might be best to discuss things there. Others who feel the same way can add support. Be positive and lay out the problems AND solutions.
Are you paid hourly or salary? If hourly, I wouldnt be too concerned about extra duties, as long as youbare fairly compendated. Wrenching and other duties may be paid at different rates.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

If it's going down how you say, then leave. Life is too short to have to put up with things like that on a daily basis. Trust me, it will start to grind on you and you will take it home- not cool.

Just don't leap before you look. Find a replacement job first.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
I own a Snap on solus edge pro so I have the best scan tool in the shop also the only scan tool in the shop. They expect me to allow it to be used for the entire shop and we even a little bothered that I hadn't updated it yet which cost 900 dollars.

If that is YOUR scanner, you shouldn't have to share it with NOBODY!

Sooner or later, somebody's gonna abuse it thinking it belongs to the shop.

Originally Posted By: Joe_Power
Find an oil spot and "slip". Fall down and hurt yourself. Workmans comp. While you're off, look for a new, better job. Screw those guys...

Wow, that's wrong on so many levels. Why stoop to low cowardly levels like that? Advising someone to commit fraud is just wrong and horrible advice. If he doesn't like his pay and duties, like another poster has said, your tool box has wheels for a reason.

To the OP. It sounds like it's time to move on if they expect you to let the whole shop use your tools.

Yes the other 2 have code readers but that's it mine will pretty much do most things.
It's a $4600 scanner so yes it's pretty good.
The management is my old manager and my new boss . The new guy was hired after we opened . So he isn't aware of everything promised and what not . I've tried talking with him but he's pretty impossible he just says I have to do whatever shifts they give me. He didn't care that the big boss over all the stores said I didn't have to do those shifts because I couldn't do them. And to be honest the big boss doesn't care either. I feel like they just said whatever to get us to stay so they had all the original people to get the place open and running on time and now have no issues walking on us. That's what it feels like. I absolutely hate dishonestly. And i feel like they have no issues being dishonest.

And i feel like they have no issues being dishonest.

Welcome to working in the car industry.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
And i feel like they have no issues being dishonest.

Welcome to working in the car industry.

In slot of ways he's pretty much. Most people are very dishonest and I'm not I do everything with integrity so dealing with people who don't is difficult l.

Dont be a fool it's your scanner only you use it because when it breaks or wears out its your problem.. Think about everything and look at it in every way. Be careful not to slip and fall but if you do your insured..lol

In slot of ways he's pretty much. Most people are very dishonest and I'm not I do everything with integrity so dealing with people who don't is difficult l.

You have already seen why the car repair industry is losing the ability to hire COMPETENT, HONEST, and GOOD TECHS, the industry treats you like poop for all intensive purposes.

It's been this way for decades now, and is only getting worse...

I say don't up and quit just yet, you like the people you work with, and that is a big plus, it is VERY rare these days to find co workers that are nice work with, no matter what the pay is. I say keep looking around, but bide your time, perhaps the new company is going to upgrade the shop but needs to get the funds in order...

Also considering the other conditions in the shop YOU have the upper hand, because who else is going to want to work there with the equipment and tech shortage when you leave.....? Nobody good. They need you more than you need them, I would do an honest job but don't go out of your way to help the company, tell the new owner they need to at least buy some new air lines and update your scan tool...

If you find the right place and your current shop hasn't changed things to your liking up and leave, at this point even if the new job you find doesn't work out I believe the old shop would be thrilled to get you back again. You have the advantage in this case. DON'T BE TOO QUICK TO ROLL THE TOOL CHEST INTO THE PICK UP YET!
wink.gif
thumbsup2.gif
cool.gif

Quietly get something else lined up.

Have sick time to go on interviews? Use it.

Don't tell anyone at the shop you are ticked, and just go about your job as normal.

When you get that offer for a new job, put your notice of leave in writing and bring it to your supervisor.

Make sure you cover all your bases and you read all HR documents (if they even have HR).

My wife just quit a job in Social Work. She expected her former employer to pay out 90 hours of unused vacation time. The company stiffed her on it, because she did not work for the company long enough.

She didn't do her homework, it was spelled out in HR documents. What she should have done was scheduled 2.5 weeks off with her supervisor, then quit after her vacation to collect the money that was rightfully earned by her.

Don't burn any bridges, keep your cool.

Keep your bases covered for Health Insurance, etc as well.

My uncle was in a similar situation. Master Tech worked on all high end euro cars. Beat the book all the time but got tired of the gig.

He saved his money year by year, and put up a pole barn on his property. The past 15 years he has operated his own shop out of his back yard. Working on only high end euro cars and keeping all the money for himself and his family.

Said it was the best thing he ever did. He is older now so he has slowed down a bit, but he only takes work he wants to do, and never works on junk. My aunt files his taxes and does his books, he has an LLC.

He schedules all his work, and decides when he wants to do it. If he wants to have a beer at lunch in his own house, he does that as well.

Quit. I've worked in dealerships for 20 years & have finally moved into a county job that I should have looked into years ago. If you want to stay in the auto repair field look at county fleet or transit departments. The pension & benefits will beat anything in the dealerships.

You don't want your employer to the pay the $900 upgrade on a scanner you own, unless there is a clear written agreement that you retain ownership of the scanner and the upgrade.

Make certain that the ownership of other tools is very clear as well.

We don't know the job situation in your specific area. If it's easy to find another job, an ownership change is an excellent time to find a new place to work. Potential employers like knowing why you are changing jobs. Make it clear that you were a good employee and loyal to a good employer, but that the situation had changed.

Thank you all for the advice I think I am going to start looking at other places my biggest concern is finding a great place to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back