When to find a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, if you want to be an auto tech I agree with what was posted earlier.

Take a look at county, and local government jobs.

I work for a city in Texas doing IT, our fleet shop services all the police cars, fire trucks, employee cars, and even some farm equipment, lawn equipment.

Shop is clean, equipment is all good, air conditioned and heated shop.

Guys make $20 per hour, 12 paid holidays, tons of vacation, tons of sick leave, and pension after 20 years of service.

Full health benefits 100 percent free premiums, with a $2500 annual deductible. Full dental, full vision, disability, life insurance.

Also you don't have to worry about the city going out of business or screwing you.

$20 bucks an hour is not a lot of money but there are a lot of benefits that cost $$$$ when you go to work for a dealership.

My mother in law has been a title clerk for a GM dealer in NY. For years the dealership has only offered her the "group rate" on her health insurance (dealer pays nothing towards her health insurance). She makes very little money, pays $450 per month for basic health insurance, and gets 2 weeks off paid per year after 10 years of service. No matching contribution for her 401k. No DENTAL insurance. Oh and she has to work almost every weekend and every holiday to make overtime just to make ends meet.

That still wasn't enough so she works as a clerk at a drug store nights after her day job at the GM dealer. She is 59 years old.

Me personally being a 33 year old dude. I think that everybody needs to have their teeth looked at once every six months, vision exam once a year, and at least see the doctor once a year. That is the bare minimum hoping that nothing goes wrong with your health and you really need insurance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back